Devils Chimney Chase 10K

Please note that this year's event will be chip timed.  Also, a decision has been taken by the race committee to run the route in reverse this year.

Comments

• I would like to take part, but will need to enter on the day. Looks like a popular race, so just checking that there will space for lil old me image

• Hi Sam

Yes, we still have space for lil old you and you'd be very welcome to come and join in the fun.  Race HQ opens at 3:30pm for entries on the day and bib number collection for pre-entries.  We're opening earlier this year as we need to factor in extra time for processing timing chips for entries on the day.  It's £12 for affiliated runners and £14 for unattached runners.  See you there!

LP

• Is trail shoes advised or are road shoes ok?

• Hi ITB

The race is mostly off road, but some parts of it are run on the road.  There is a narrow uphill section with a bit of loose gravel and a longish section through the woods with lots of exposed tree roots.  We do advise trail shoes in general but you might well get away with road shoes as we've had such a long spell of hot dry weather recently.  Why not bring both and make a decision on the day when you've spoken to some of our club runners who regularly run the route?  I will see if I can one of them to post some advice on here.

Hope to see you on Saturday.  The weather is set fair, the BBQ will be on and the bar openimage

LP   

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

HI - road shoes will be ok...there might be a few muddy bits - all depends on whether there is anymore rain between now and Saturday. As with most of the country the ground has been baked hard over the last few weeks, so will not have been churned up. In this heat things dry out pretty quickly. Looking at the forecast below, it would seem that it unlikely for things to change dramatically over the next few days.

Weather Forecast for Cheltenham

The terrain is as follows:

Playing field
    Road
    Dirt tracks (could be muddy - suspect not)
    Grassy cambered field
    Rocky uphill slope
    Tracks through woods
    Solid footpaths along escarpment top - some rocky bits
    More tracks through woods
    Farm tracks - hardpacked stone

Then back onto the grassy cambered field.

Hope that all helps.

For those familiar with the race, this year we are running in the reverse direction

• Pre-entries have now closed but there are still spaces available and runners are welcome to enter on the day.  £12 affiliated runners and £14 unattached runners. 

The entries desk opens at 3:30pm and closes at 5:30pm.

Hope to see you there!

LP

• Nick LNick L ✭✭✭

Weather forecast looking like a bit of a mixed bag for Saturday arvo at the moment.....There are to be very heavy showers/rain in the south and east - extending across to the SW....although the western extent has been uncertain. Looks like we might catch the edge of the rain band.

• Hi, I've ran a few 10Ks before. My partner reckons this run is not for the faint hearted. Is this true? I would really like to try it, although I've only ever ran road runs. Additionally could I registeillness the day?

Sarah 

• Morning Sarahson

A flat 10k road run this is not but all standards of runner are welcome and we would love to see you. We are a friendly bunch and love all runners!  You can just rock up and enter any time from 3:30pm this afternoon. Wear off road shoes if you have them!

Hope to see you later

LP

• Hey I missed this run. But I'll follow the results. I'd like to do some off roading running soon. I'll keep an eye on running events in Gloucestershire as I have just moved here.

Thanks, 

Sarah 

• This was the first proper event I have participated in and I loved it. For me, parts of it were definately tough and took a lot of mental strength. I couldnt believe how steep that incline was between 1-2 miles! Loved it though, fantastic views when you get to the top. I have no idea where the Devils Chimney is though. Was just focussing on getting through those inclines. Will be back next year for sure!

Any ideas when results will be upladed to the website?

• Results are available now on the DB Max website

• Morning Nick

Glad you found the route a challenge.  The Devil's Chimney was high up on the left as you were running through the woods after the steep incline between miles 1-2.  I imagine you were more focussed on breathing at that point image

Hope you've managed to locate the results now - www.dbmax.co.uk and click on the results tab at the top.  A sterling effort for your first organised race!

Sarahson - sorry you couldn't make it this time.  Hopefully see you at another Almost Athlete event in the future.

LP

• Just a quickie - will there be any photos available online?

• Hi Sam

A lot of photos were taken by various people.  I will see if I can get links put onto the website www.devilschimneychase.co.uk. They are already on the Almost Athletes Facebook page.

LP