P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

At least you wont need to do that when you get soaking wet on your run today, rest day for me image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well...nearly had a successful run, but as seems to be par of the course in this training turned into a bit of a disaster. Managed 12 with 5.6@LT in the end. Was going ok...there was no rain and was hot and humid so was huffing and puffing a bit...and with 0.4mi to go I suddenly had to dive behind a bush for a squitty squat. Cold sweats and everything. Tried to pick up the pace for last 0.4mi but not happening...and the jog home for the last couple of miles was even a struggle.

Still - got most of the LT part of the run done...so...errr...onwards and upwards!

Had a cold bath afterwards just to extend the sufferfest a bit longer.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

5.6 LT? This just isn't good enough 15W.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I know it's close and all that...it's just how I felt etc. Feel really rough now too.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Seriously though, don't break yourself!

If it's any consolation, the heavy rain last night turned my usual running route into a nettle slalom (by weighing down all the plants so they crossed the path). And it pissed down with rain for about 25% of my run, making me look like the runner-up in a wet t-shirt competition.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

15W - youre on the P&D 70-85 plan ? 0.4 miles short is ok in this heat as I'm sure you're aware. How many rest days do you get on that plan ?

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

What do you do when you feel crap ?

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Run. Actually, I am usually pretty good at recovery being inherently quite a lazy person. I am not often ill enough not to run, and today I was kind've alright until towards the end. Got 15 scheduled tomorrow, so will see how I am in the morning for that. Was going to shift my 20mi long run to this Friday as will be fairly busy this weekend. If I do that will take a day off on Saturday.

Lit - got any pics?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭
    15West wrote (see)

Lit - got any pics?

Not for people who didn't complete their LT run, no.

• Lit you should be given a special P&D police badge and enforce the schedule no matter what! Hope you feel better 15W, I also hope you don't have pics of your run image

16miles with 10mp or sort of mp.... ran out in between thunder storms but it was so muggy that I was drenched in sweat, even my legs and they never usually sweat. Didn't take any fuel with me and felt quite shaky by the end. Whose bright idea was it to do an autumn marathon?! 

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Humidity is killing me, and still there is no rain as promised. Echo velloo why the hell did I think an Autumn marathon was a good idea!

Speed session at club or planned 7 miler with strides, decisions decisions. Currently feel that a cold shower and ice-cream is preferable to both. Someone kick me out the door.....please.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You can have some of our rain Lisa, I have to cycle half an hour to pilates class now and it is pissing down.

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

I hope that you maintained your dignity Lit and didn't look like you had entered another wet T-shirt competition!

Speed session at club won, which amongst other things included 800m intervals. Need to decide what I should run/swap around for the rest of the week now - supposed to be a 12MLR tomorrow, followed by 10 with 6 @LT on Friday, 5 miles recovery on Sat and 20 miler on Sunday - any suggestions from those more experienced what I should shift/swap around - please refrain from telling me to try sticking to the bloody plan though! image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Lisa - stick to the plan.

Lit - any pilates in wet t-shirt pics?

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

15w - bugger off! image

Have decided to stick with the 12 mlr which will be run later today and the see how I feel later in the week about the LT on Friday - may have an easy run on Friday followed by Parkrun on Saturday with an extra couple of miles either side as as my LT - however this may change as have my first 20 miler on Sunday. F*ck I should have just stuck to the plan image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

You should have stuck to the plan! Because doing the extra speed session has made the week a lot harder. But the LT run (which was supposed to be the quality session) isn't till Friday. I think you should ditch the 12 mile run today and just do an extra 5-mile recovery instead, then stick to the rest of the plan.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Lisa - I think yours or Lit's plans would work...try and get the LT run in there somehow (parkrun idea is not a bad idea), and also the 20miler.

I've got 15mi today. I wonder if I can keep the contents of my stomach in my stomach.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Lisa sounds like you are on the same week of the same plan as me.

I have ended up doing 5 miles recovery yesterday, 7 miles rec. with strides tonight, 12 mile aerobic tomorrow am, 10 + 6 LT on Friday am, rest Sat and 20 miles on Sunday. All so I can do the club session tonight!

• I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here but I've just glanced at next week's schedule and scared myself shitless. 

Friday - 10miles with 6 at LT pace

Saturday - 10 miles with 5 at LT pace

Sunday - 20miles

40 miles in three days?!  Will try not to think about it for now and concentrate on each session at a time, hopefully that will get me through.  11 mile MLR for me today, hoping to do most of it off-road.

Lisa - you should have stuck to the plan image.  I agree about ditching the 12 mile run though.  You've done so many MLR runs already and you'll be doing so many more before race day.

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Tiny - which plan are you on ? 2 x LT runs in 2 days isnt in P&D is it ?

11 miles @ MP for me this morning in Nottingham. Apprently they had floods here last night and there was plenty of debris scattered around and in places the tarmac had lifted to above the kerbs !

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah - Tiny, that doesnt' sound right. You would only get 2 LT runs a week.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Tiny, are you sure? That does sound a bit bonkers.

Carter - yep, proper flooding up towards the north end of the city, I think. And just giant puddles round where I live, great fun to do strides through. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

you sure it's not recovery 5mi for the saturday?

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Okay, haven't got the book cos I've lent it to someone but that is what it says in the magic spreadsheet. But I certainly don't remember doing that when following the schedule because it sounds silly. Perhaps it is a mistake introduced specially for the 2nd edition?

• Just checked - I am using the wonderful P&D spreadsheet but it looks like it has been tinkered with!  Somehow session number 44 has been placed where session number 55 should be?!

Thanks goodness I mentioned it, would have probably killed myself trying to do it!  Yes, session 55 is a 5mile recovery run.  Phew!  Thanks everyone image

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Glad that's been cleared up! I've just been digging back through my garmin connect records to see what I did do that week, but I was doing a mini-taper for a half. I do remember only replacing one LT run with the HM rather than two, though!

• Tiny Runner 85 -Thanks for spotting that error on the spread sheet as I would have probably made the same mistake next week. When I put in 55 on session column it came up with a 6 mile recovery run but what's one extra recovery mile. 

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Debutant mine says 5 mile recovery as well are you doing the 55-70 mpw plan as that may explain the difference in the 1 mile? However as I seem to be the one that consistently fails to follow the programme then I may have that completely wrong!

I think I may do as Lit and Tiny suggest and scrap the MLR and do a recovery run tonight of 5-6 instead - don't want to go missing the LT session now do I image.

At the moment its a bit cooler out there about 24-25c so am hoping that by the time I am ready for a run it will be around 21-22c instead. This is all to prevent me looking like a completely drowned rat covered in flies.