Running: My Daily Habit

Ok, here goes. I've been running inconsistently for the last three years. At my best I could run a 10k race in 57mins. I felt good and looked better. However I've always been in consistent and in more recent times I've gone out and given up after only 10 minutes. It's just getting harder and harder....I  wasn't doing myself any favours, I was making matters worse by expecting myself to be able to do more and then hating myself for not doing it! I know that this thinking makes no sense. So I need to do things differently.

This is the start of my school holidays, so no better time than now to forge a new habit and its going to be a daily run. I've done the reading and I'm happy to accept that the best thing is to start small and in achievable steps. So, I'm going to run 10 minutes every day. I can do that!  image

I'll increase my time by 5 minutes next week or maybe the week after but every day that I get my shoes on and out the door will be a celebration. That's my objective. Part of my motivation is to share my journey and so here I am. I don't know if it'll be of any interest to many but I'm planning on making a life changing habit and I'm going to do all I can to make that happen! 

Maybe this will lead to some exciting things! Thank you for reading....I'm off to put my shoes on. This is day 2 & if I can do it yesterday I can do it today! image

Comments

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

When I took up running I thought the hard thing would be the physical act of running. But I've found it's not. Placing one foot in front of another is actually quite simple.

The mental aspect of it is much harder, from getting the motivation to put your trainers on to the mental block when you run further or longer than you've done before. It can be quite tough.

Good luck!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    why not sign up for a 5k or 10k in a couple of months time. I never feel the urge to go out and run without any form of event to motivate me. I also find that writing out a training plan also gives me something to focus on.

If you have a parkrun nearby why not have a go there as its very informal and with people of all abilities.
  • Thank you for your support Biko. I've come to realise you're right, put those trainers on and get out the door!

I'm just in from Day 2 10 minute run. I'm so hot! And it amazes me how much of an effect just a short amount of time has on my body! I'm pouring and look like a tomato. I concentrated on slowing down a little and focused on my breathing. Felt ok until the last couple of minutes but I didn't stop! I'm feeling good, it's set me up for the rest of the day.....just got to remember that tomorrow! image Have a good day.

• Millsy I do have a Park Run here. That's a great idea. So, I'll say now that I'll do the one on Saturday the 10th August. I know it's only two weeks but I'll do it even if I have to walk run. If I'm running every day I think I'll be feeling a little fitter in two weeks? I could just break it down. Even if I'm the last in image I can add it to my routine...

• carterusmcarterusm ✭✭✭

Well done Lou. My good lady is on the same journey as you and after just 2 weeks she is benefitting both physically and mentally. She has had one bad day but forget about it and then carried straight back on. She is a lot more positive already and feeling far more relaxed with herself. Her aim is to run a parkrun none stop before we go on holiday in November so, as Millsy says, it might be good for you to set yourself a little target to aim for.

Good luck !

• booktrunkbooktrunk ✭✭✭

I find always having a target keeps me motivated.  I've been running now for about 15 months so not a huge amount of time but I always have an event booked so I'm always in training I have a marathon each six months or so, so do one and recover then have to start training for the next one.

Maybe sign up for a 10k in October, then you can start out on a training plan, I find that structure helps me it's a bit dull, I know i should just run for the love of it and what it does to me etc... but having a goal helps me you might find that sort of thing works for you.  Plan a 10k then sign up for another 3 months later with a plan of getting a faster time that is then the motivation for those 6 months taken care off.

• Carterusm, I'm delighted to hear that differences can be noted in just two weeks. That is a real motivator. Well done to your lady, sticking with it is the trick. I'm just going one day at a time.

Booktrunk I've managed to persuade a friend to sign up for a 10k at the end of Sept. It's a trail run so off road which I like. Nice surroundings distract me from thinking about my body and I enjoy that so much more than the road. All I'm aiming for is to get round and have a time to improve. The timing is tight but it'll motivate me to keep improving......fingers crossed! 

• Day 3: I did it!

I went out a little too late and it was so hot! I was melting. Today I did a short circuit around the block which included a hill, as I went up I passed on old chap on his bike, he cheered me on and I have to say his encouragement gave me a smile. Today I ran a little further and at a slightly faster speed (down hill)...just got to remember that it all counts. I read about forming habits and the key is consistent small steps taken with patience. Onecstep at a time, one day at a time....

• Day 4: I didn't get to run.....family turned up unexpected in the morning and that was the day gone. Disappointing.

Day 5: Didn't run but did do an hour boot camp class and this includes running. I think this counts but its not really part of the habit.

Day 6: Today. I set my alarm. Got up and went out. 10 mins. Plan to do the same tomorrow....

So, a bit of a blip but I'm keeping going. In the past I would have quit when I missed a session but not this time. One step at a time!

• Did anyone else start so small? I wonder if 10 mins is worth doing but I think that it'll lead to longer times so it'll count in the end. Need some inspiration....

• Loads of us started with the C25k (Couch to 5k) running program, including me, which has 1 mintue running intervals, 8 times, with a walk in between... so yes thats about as small as it gets!  Now after losing lots of weight and having gained lots of stamina, fitness and confidence in running I am comfortably running for over 2 hours at a time once a week, and 7 or 8 km hilly runs a few times a week, so it really does get easier as you go on.

The C25K program may be exactly what you need thinking of it? You could probably skip over the first few weeks of it if you felt it was a bit too easy for where you are now as its designed for someone who has never run before. It will build you up gradually and it gives you something to aim to, ie, running 30 minutes solid. Plenty of information about it, and free apps to help you. I cant recomend it enough to be honest.

Good luck with it all, it sounds like you are doing well so far so keep it up image

• Day 7: ran 2mins longer made it passed 2k.....

Day 8: Today it was so hard! Please tell me this is going to get easier!? 

I run around the hospital, on my way back up the hill just as I was about to give up a lady that could barely walk said to me 'I wish I could do that'. I kept running. If anything could ever encourage me more, its being grateful that I can...

Simon I'm off camping for the weekend. I will be taking my trainers and aim to run a minimum of 12mins a day. When I get back I'm going to move onto that plan, it looks good & I want to do a Park Run. Thank you for the encouragement.

• well done Loulouq! I was in exactly the same boat as you...once had my runs upto about 7k but due to being inconsistant, 10 minutes as all I could do. I'm now back at it and have signed up for a 10k in october...I am following a training plan and sticking to it. Not easy but I will get there. Have a good weekend camping! It is worth looking at C25K - I used to be out of breath at 1 minute so I can guarantee it works.

Keep going!

• Oh Fizzlebang I failed completely at running whilst I was away, I was at a festival and I couldn't get out plus felt stupid running around the tents. So, felt rubbish about not running and nearly gave up. BUT, I realised that thinking a blip was failure is where I had been going wrong! I didn't even want to look at this post.

However, I pulled myself together and realised that I could just take up where I left off. 11mins today, just to get going. Tomorrow I'm going to walk/run from the C25K plan. Back to it!

thank you for the encouragement. One day I'll be running that 10K! image