Hi, introducing myself

Hi, I'm Liz. I'm a little unfit, and I started running about 3 weeks ago. So far, I'm walk/running about 2.5 miles every other day, and I've signed up for a marathon in 36 weeks' time - eek!

What I lack in fitness, I'm trying to make up for in enthusiasm! 

Anyway, thought I'd say hi, and I look forward to spending more time on here getting to know people image

Comments

• image ay up mate bags of time to train up for a marathon. Which one you doing?

• Brighton, which is handy as we're moving to (just outside) Brighton in 4 weeks time.

I'm not a runner, but I guess a lot of people say that before they actually start. I'm already panicking about never being able to run for more than 3 minute stretches, but I've had some good advice from friends (mostly about slowing down when running, and getting the miles in during training) so I'm nervous but excited.

• Cool I've not done it but a few folks around these parts have and always sounded good. I would take a minute and see if there is a thread up for people doing the race and get some banter going with them. image

• don't panic and coninue building up slowly.........keep the routine of every other day and enjoy the slow buildup......the art is to avoid injury which is often caused by trying to do too much , too fast too soon.

Have fun and you will get thereimage

• image Very wise words above. just found this for you in cae of interest. http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/events/brighton-marathon-2014/247398.html

• Fab, thank you image

Yes, so far I'm really enjoying the training (once I actually get the trainers on and get out the door!) and I'm already tempted to do more than I should (rest days make me anxious) but I've just got a bike (first bike I'll have owned since I was about 13) so that's what I'm planning to do on my non-running days now. That, and some weights...

I'm looking forward to chatting to people as obsessed as I'm starting to be!!

• If you want to do stuff on your none training day's you might find swimming useful as well it's zero inpact so your legs won't be as knackered. Just don't over do it.

• Listen carefully, I will say this only once. Get yourself down the Jog Shop in Kemp Town around November time. They will be running marathon training sessions where you will be looked after by experienced marathoners and train with lots of people in a similar situation to yourself. Weekly runs will start before Christmas and then really pick up in the New Year. Coaching, structured training and a support group. Special price for you. Absolutely free. They have other training sessions in the week if you want to get down there before that. A friendly bunch. 

• Thanks! I'll definitely be looking for people to run with, a support group etc when we move, so I'll find out about the training sessions at Jog Shop image

• Hope it mainly goes well for you with that amount of time even if you get a few setbacks you should manage to build your fitness levels and achieve your goals. Happy running