Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭

option b, similar here if i actually use my number.

Keir - similarly to before VLM you have got nice and fit with easy stuff. You have to resist the urge for faster/better/more now and just raise it a bit. You'll burn out if you keep doing sessions like that and ending them like that. FWIW take the facts/data out of it and simply do some 3min, 5min, 10 reps etc, dont worry about pace, the idea isnt to thrash yourself but to do a session at 8/10 instead of the 4/10 easy stuff. 10/10 isnt required. Consistency is still key, and so is being fresh enough to train again tomorrow, and the next day...........10x3mins with 30sec jog rest is my favourite session, I even do them within a run so have no idea if I'm doding the same distance in 3min, or sometimes I do try to make the same distance. None of us are training for the Olympics, give yourself a chance.

• I've just had a massive read back...

AR - Brave confession, and one which will strike a chord with everyone on here.

Literatin/Speedy - Can we have some trash talk, please?

Mennania - When I tell people my marathobn PB (2:59), they go "And what's the world record?"image

Lorenzo - Offer? What offer?image

Bike It - Overtaking a cyclist at 3 a.m.- brilliant. I would have fallen off, had it been me.

Keir - Nice reps (almost said "tough" session), but as TR points out, go easy.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Keir, that would be a monster session even if you were specifically training for a 10k on significantly less mpw!! I doubt anyone training for a marathon could finish them and continue to train normally in that week. Most I ever saw in a 10k programme  was 4 x 2.4k at 10k pace but most use 1k or 2k intervals for specific 10k training, and it looks like you are nailing 10k pace on  3 x 2k reps which is pretty handy and not too shabby at all image.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

ok. Thanks Menna. Nice to know it is more about the session being too tough rather than me being too weak! 

Thinking about what you said TR, knowing the mile distance along the cycle path I suppose I could just run them to feel and not wear the Garmin. 

Ant - when I say my marathon pb people ask - 'And how far was that marathon?' ! 

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

When I say my mara PB people simply say "So you're faster than Ant...."

Thats not actually true. Anyway, back in blighty, hurrah, knackered and unfit, might be looking for a very slow train calling at Abingdon station in the autumn. Possibly steam powered.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Bike It: option b, although I have done option e before, quite possibly unwisely...

Keir: is that the McMillan 10k workout?  I have the 8 week schedule pinned up at work.  I apparently printed it on 14.05.12 have been ignoring it ever since.  Even week 1 scares me.

12.25M including a few hills for me at lunchtime, testing out my new hydration backpack in case the organisers of this weekend's race (called a half-marathon, but according to their route map, c. 15M) really are going to continue to insist we have to carry a water-carrying device despite the 7 water stations and predicted end to the heatwave.  Definitely the best one I've tried (so much better than the waist-pack I used on Saturday!), so if the worst comes to the worst, I shall use it.

• Another vote for option B Bike It. 

Trash talk? I ton't think so. We're British. 

Quite the adventure getting to the track last night through flooded roads (we had two month's worth of rain in less than 20 minutes apparently), but once there I quite enjoyed the session. 600, 3 x 1200, 600, 6 x 50m rolling. I forgot my Garmin in my rush to get out to the car when it stopped raining so had no idea of pace, but my splits for the main session were 2.07, 4.25, 4.26, 2.45, 2.05. The 50s weren't timed. Admittedly I was using some teenage boys as pacers. They seemed rather good at it. It's good to know that 17 year old boys do have their uses.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

I'm a bit foreign, but no trash talk from me either until I get rid of the acute arse pain I seem to have been struck down with in the last week. image

Keir - those reps sound unnecessarily hardcore, and especially if the shorter ones were already too hard; no point progressing a session that's already too knackering to do any good.

AR - not much to add to what everyone else has said, except that I think it was important for you to say what you have as you certainly won't be the only one on here feeling like that.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

On the reps discussion, I think one big influence is the weather.  Summer reps are always much harder at the same pace than winter reps just due to it being easier to keep cool in winter. In summer reps it can be necessary to slow down, to finish the rep early, to do the recovery as stop-walk-jog or to extend the recovery period just because of the heat. 

Option B it is then - I also see the opportunity to make money as a charlatan by publishing the book 'from couch to marathon in 6 weeks'image.  

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - TR's advice is very sound as always. Personally, I'm a bit weird and thrive on early morning reps - it's the stringing them all together with no recovery in a race that I struggle with!
    Speedy - good session with the teenagers.
    literatin - hope the pain goes soon.
    8 easy miles with 8 x 100m strides for me this morning with an eye on Saturday's parkrun. Also picked up a couple of pairs of funky blue running shoes from Lidl - just in time to replace the ones from Aldi. They seem to average 500 miles before falling to pieces, but at £14.99 a pair that's still a bargain. Interesting to note that I haven't been struck down with multiple leg injuries (yet!) for not buying the expensive ones from running shops and having gait analyses.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Gul- your approach is all wrong, you need to spend at least 60 quid on a pair of trainers, religiously log all mileage for your shoes, perhaps rotate a couple of pairs and maybe treat yourself to a nice light pair for reps and racing.

Then and only then will your legs start to fall apart like all other good runners.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Quick note to say thanks for comments. Hypomanic episodes are well controlled nowadays by good old lithium and a few other bits and pieces for good luck. Luckily the only very minor lapses recently have been running related. The good thing about this is that a) It is a cheap thing to do and b) the main impact is knackering myself!    It is not like the good old days of making rash decisions with money or careers (yes I once had a career) image. Anyway, enough said, and get back to running a bit.

Keir - that 3 x 2M session got the better of me on two occassion, and I managed to scrape through it once. 2 miles is a long old rep out on your own at that sort of pace. I restored a bit of confidence by running the P&D 1200m reps, and some mile reps - at those distances you can see the light at the end of the tunnel even when you have just started off.  On my third attempt of 3 x 2m, I switched it to late afternoon as I had been attempting it a 6am.

Bike-it: I voted option b, and await the kindle version of your book.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Thread,

I have a spare ticket for the Saturday session of the Anniversary Games at the Olympic Stadium.  This late in the day I'd rather just see it used than worry too much about being reimbursed, so let me know if you would like to have it.  The only potential downside is that you will be stuck with me for company!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Bugger I'm heading home tomorrow otherwise I'd have taken you up on that Jools. image

• Long Island Road Running Club summer 5k series.
    Results are up on http://www.lirrc.org/7-24-13%20Overall.htm

So after a few weeks of hot weather in the UK and then moving out and training in the heat out here, it turned out to be a bit cooler on Wednesday night so just hot and not very hot. Got to the race early to pick up a number and eye up the opposition and all looked good till a tall, skinny African lad turned up.

Gentle mile warm up and a few strides and then formed up at the start line, looked to be well over 100 runners (turned out to be 167). Hooter sounds and we were off. I took the lead and wondered if the African guy was a fake but after a 100 metres of so he pulled alongside and past. I was now in second but there were two guys behind me, one a 12 year old kid. I thought I wasn't going to let him beat me and so pushed on and yet he hung on. Got to a slope at about 2/3rds of a mile and I dropped him there to have second place clear to myself. Went through 1 mile in 5:40 and the heat and that early pace started to tell, but soldiered on. At 2 miles I had a clear lead and settled down to grind out the third mile. Nice that I had a marshal on a bike ahead of me to follow. Passed the finished and it was just an out and back loop to go but at the end of the out I could hear someone behind me. Looked back and it wasn't the kid but the other guy who was up early but who had gone way back and I had written him off. As he caught up with me I surged thinking he must have worked hard to catch up but he had plenty left and took me and left me for dead. Brought it home for 18:21 at the finish.

Splits were 5:40 and then a couple of 6.0x so that first fast mile cost a bit, would  have been nicer to do a 5:45 or 5:50 and wind it up a bit later. Picked up the age category win but the main thing is that nobody older was faster than me.

First  "lady" home was a 9 year old girl in 20:40. Looked that up on WAVA and it is 84% which seems low but I guess we assume 9 year old girls can't run. Age graded standard for such is 17:33

Next up is Chicago 10k. Have just been booked for a post race TV appearance: "Hi Philip, We are interested in interviewing some of our runners who are coming from out of the country for our telecast of the race."

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Moof - I do plenty of logging and currently rotating 6 pairs of shoesimage
    PMJ - great race report and congrats on the impending TV mega-stardom!
    3 mile recovery run d&d.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice racing and tv tarting PMJ. Sounds like there are some quick youngsters stateside. What was the winning time?

I'm surprised your Aldi Lidl post hasn't been removed due to Spam Gul! I would have thought Asics / Adidas would have insisted big brother removed such economical advice!

A ticket available for an afternoon with Jools! I am surprised that hasn't been snapped up within minutes. 

22m today inc 2x2m @pmp/1m @ pmp +20secs. All intervals were slightly quicker than intended, but comfortable despite the morning heat. Funny how 3m ave 6.21m/m is comfortably hard within an LSR but 1m @ 6m/m kills me in an interval session. 

Currently chasing the kids round a zoo / big playground as a warmdown. 

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

I wonder if those precocious kids discover cheeseburgers and all-you-can-eat breakfasts and fall by the wayside...nice racing PMJ

Good work from you Keir - I agree that the 10k or tempo efforts seem like such hard work. I guess there is a HUGE difference between 20 or secs per mile though intuitively it shouldn;t really feel that way

3 * 1.5 miles @ 5.50 pace off 2 min recoveries last night on a humid evening for me. Kind of unpleasant but hopefully there'l have some sort of benefit. Still not sure I really trust the Garmin pace for these kind of sessions

Enjpy basking in the post olympic glow Jools

Why aren't you at work Keir image

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Keir - what were you worrying about short rep paces for, when you go and pop out 22M with efforts within it. FFS stop worrying about paces and start keep an eye on the amount of matches in your box instead..................might have to get rid of my ABo number now, I'm nowhere near that sort of shape.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

I've got a new training buddy! image

http://webkit-fake-url://64B17A13-D8AF-4D38-A0A7-8CAA636A7FBF/imagejpeg

• I can't see a picture SJ, what is it? I just have a blank box. 

Dinky PB tongiht at the Newstead Abbey Dash 5k - 18.55 for 2nd lady and county silver.

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Gaar, tech issues. I have a new puppy!! Border collie. Black and white and super cute. He's called Fly and I've already had 4 laps round the garden with him image.  

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Can't see the pic either, I reckon it's a dog or maybe a new bike.

PMJ- I was just checking out the Swallowfeild 10k website as one of my warm up races for Abo, your in the main pic bib no 13. Is it fast and flat?

!0 miles for me this morning with 6 * 800 reps, not exactly quick out of the blocks but I'm not too bothered about that at the moment as I just wanted to run some intervals earlier on in mara training before I start creaking too much. Just get the heart rate up and the legs turning over at a decent pace without, 'ahem, burning too many matches.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    x-post, takes me way too long to type!!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - probably a silly question, but how much warm-up do you do before your intervals? Is it significantly less than the easy mileage you are doing in your lsr before the tempo stuff? I know I struggle if I don't do 3 miles beforehand.
    Frazer - nice work.
    SJ - I'm sure he's very cute.
    Moof - Good session.
    Off to parkrun shortly and then down to Maidstone for a surprise party for my brother and sister-in-law (25th anniversary). Had a very nice surprise myself last night. My wife went out and bought herself some Lidl running shoes and we went out for a walk/run last night. Even the kids came out too on their bikes! Have a good weekend and best of luck to anyone racing.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Gul, certainly the interval warm up could be longer (2.6m to get to the cycle path) and I realy should put in some strides and plyometrics. For the LSR intervals I ran 8m before the first set.

Good luck with the PR and also the trip down to Maidstone. It's raining hard down here at the moment, but fingers crossed it will clear up later. Nice to hear the running is turning into a family occassion (but will they all be getting up at 3.30am to join you every morning?)

• Rest day for me today and just about to head off to the Olympic Stadium - whoo hoo!!! image

Jools - where are you sitting? We're in Block 240, row 42 which I think puts us above the 200m start.

Go Team GB athletes!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Block 106.  I was in M02 last night, right near the 100m start.

• moof wrote (see)

PMJ- I was just checking out the Swallowfeild 10k website as one of my warm up races for Abo, your in the main pic bib no 13. Is it fast and flat?

Moof, not flat: http://connect.garmin.com/activity/223346468 hill for the first mile or so and then a decent downhill to half way and seocnd half flat. The hill seems to help me a spot, guess it makes me pace better. It is a Dashers Champs race so there wil be a lot of fast and middle runners out as good pacers as the pictures show, loads of white tops with red logos in view: top 3 last year.

• BTN Big 10K Chicago.

BTN stands for the Big Ten Conference and the Big Ten are 12 Colleges (Universities) in the north east of the USA. Most sports work a system so that there is a conference championship and then the 11 conference winners go head to head in a knock out to find the national champion. Don't confuse the 12 teams in the Big Ten with the Big 12 which is based in the Texas area. College sports in the USA are big. I have been to college football games (that is American football and not soccer) with 106,000 people watching. That is bigger than Wembley or Old Trafford. The 3rd and 4th largest stadiums in the world are college football stadiums.

So you have the idea: a 10k in Chicago based on the rivalry between 12 colleges and pulling in runners from 9 different states. Last year there were about 5,000 runners in the 10k and 5k, this year 13,000.

The weather in Chicago has cooled off a lot so about 16 degrees. The race start was 7 am so I set an alarm for 5:30 but woke up at about 2 with a major cramp in my calf that hurt like buggery. In the past, these cramps have pulled muscles and I have been unable to run and I was fearful this was the case but it seemed just stiff rather than pulled. I had planned a jog to the start (about 2 miles away) but canned that plan and walked. Got to the start, dropped off kit and started to realise the enormity of the race. I have only run a couple of big races and when I have done so I have been lucky enough to be graded and got a GFA or other starting pen. The starting corrals (they don't call them pens) must have been the best part of a mile long. Luckily I was in pen A (elite needed 2:50 marathon and they rejected my 2:50:28).

Waiting over, they brought in the elites ahead of pen A but I managed to move up as a lot of the elites were women and with respect, while a 40 minute time is elite women, it is just a blockage for many male runners.

Hooter goes and we are away. A bunch of super fast Africans heads off and are never seen again and I keep an eye on the Garmin to avoid over cooking the first mile and it was showing 5:50 pace so OK. As we settled down there was a good bunch just ahead which I started to pull in and the first mile ended up 5:46 and the bunch still ahead but a few coming off the back. Mile 2 was steady at 5:55 and I hooked up with what I first thought was a young guy in a baseball hat until we clipped elbows and the voice was female. Any doubts about the cramp were gone and I was really enjoying the race. The increase from 5,000 to 13,000 had brought a lot more quality and even though it was obvious that (i) I was going to get chicked and (ii) I wasn't going to be top 25 I was really enjoying the race. I did a low 37 10k earlier this year (spot on 6 minute pace) and so with about a 20 second buffer built up by 2 miles I was thinking about bettering that.

The girl (and I now know she is an Olympic "hopeful", http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-xc/mtt/hattendorf_lindsay00.html) and I were helping each other along nicely and we started to pick off runners ahead in ones and twos. Went through 5k in 18:20 which was faster than the 5k I did on Wednesday and found out why. The out leg was along a very flat many lane road, perfect for running, when we turned we moved onto cycle tracks which were less flat, bendy and had a head wind. The wind was quite strong but luckily the route was littered with fine young examples of American athletes who like weights so I tucked in behind a few tall guys with broad shoulders, a luxury I have never had before.