Looking for first marathon

I'm looking at running my first marathon next spring awas loo looking for some suggestions for possible events to enter which may have some good support along the way?

Comments

• MedicalertMedicalert ✭✭✭

If you fancy running somewhere a bit different, do Hamburg. Was my first ever marathon and was brillianty organised. Everything was second to none and it felt like the whole city came out to support it. BBQs at the road side, pubs giving runners free beer, sofas and home made grand stands all along the route.

In a word amazing.

• I did Paris as my first marathon - you can just buy your place rather than entering a ballot like some of the big marathons. It's a beautiful route through the heart of Paris. Also once the flights and accomodation were booked for me and my family there was no turning back which is strangely encouraging. For a first marathon I would pick a big one in one of the major capitals. That way there will be plenty of support along the way, a nice route and you can get some sightseeing in. Air BnB do really good cheap accomodation too.

• I thought compared to London the crowd support in Paris was rubbish,  at either end of the route there was no one.   

• Medicalert wrote (see)

If you fancy running somewhere a bit different, do Hamburg. Was my first ever marathon and was brillianty organised. Everything was second to none and it felt like the whole city came out to support it. BBQs at the road side, pubs giving runners free beer, sofas and home made grand stands all along the route.

In a word amazing.

Thank you for this info! Have applied for London but if I dont get it I was looking at where else I could go - only done halves so far but wanted a big one for my first Marathon - may very well do this!

• SP13SP13 ✭✭✭

I have just signed up for hamburg marathon again in 2014 and this will be the fifth time I have run it. Hamburg is a great run - really well organized, nice and flat and a fantastic crowd. I would heartily recommend it.

• I have the tab open on my computer ready to apply - in fact even if I do get London I think I might do this anyway as its 3 weeks after London ( I think). I have family that live 2 hours away from Hamburg so hopefully will have a ready made support crew!