Sub 3h15

Comments

• Miles 4 was spot on 6 pace but it dropped off but I had no answer. If I came out from behind the shelter it was hard and the wind break was doing 6:08 pace so I was loosing those 20 seconds in big chunks. Eventually went through the 6 mile mark and turned for home so was able to break out and use a tail wind for 5:30 pace over the last 0.2 odd miles and record 37:05.

Bit hacked off I couldn't go sub 37, the wind cost me that. All done and dusted by 7:40, left the event at 11, over 3 hours later. That is the big difference between USA and UK: the 10k is an event, not a race.

After the race,there was a free beer, a free hot dog, entertainments, the 5k race, a TV appearance for me as a nominal foreigner. Some things they go very right, some very wrong (the 5k was started 75 minutes after the 10k but on the same course, the 5k just turned early, so the fast 5k runners had to wave though back markers. As I watched the 5k finish, there were 5k runners on the other side of the divider still starting!

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Nice racing PMJ.  

Back in the UK  last night and Parkrun at Newbury this morning.  Around 26minutes which is OK whilst pushing 50kg of kids and push chair on gravel and attending to a few minor stops for milk (my daughter not me), piglet overboard and socks off.

• Great racing PMJ, good to know the yanks can get some things right. 

• SlokeyJoeSlokeyJoe ✭✭✭

Excellent work PMJ and stardom to boot! 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice one PMJ. Not bad for a limey.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice racing PMJ. Sounds like a great event to boot.

Gul, nice to have the family with you. My daughter got up at 6am and went for a 3 miler on Friday, so now I am back (fingers crossed) I have a running companion for the recovery period

2.5m for me todayimage. First run in over 3 weeks. just back but stomach and adductors feel ok, but icing up as a precaution now.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Well done PMJ on the US results - envious of that 10k time.

Good to here you are back in the saddle so to speak Mennania. I'm currently on the sofas with an iced achilles and hamstring that are a little  tight.

Invented a new LR session today, lets call it the 5-4-3-2-1 session. 

5 miles @ PMP, 1 miles recovery, 4 miles at PMP or quicker, 1 mile recovery ........ for a total of 20 miles with 15 at quality. Mostly run at 6:20ish pace except for the 4 mile interval which was closer to threshold.

Week off running now - off to Wales for some coastal walks and rain

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

PMJ - another cracking report and great racing.
    Mennania - I think I'll be on my own for the early morning runs! Mrs GD is taking things very easy at the moment, so I was just fast-walking alongside her. Glad to hear you're easing back off the bench.
    AR - that's sounds like a tough session! Enjoy Wales.
    Bit of a scorcher for parkrun yesterday, so very pleased to chip away at the PB and knock another second off to finish in 19:04. Just 5 more to go now! Nice party in Kent, but very tired on the way back - got home at 2:15am.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Surely that gave you 1 full hours sleep before the alarm went off and you were lacing up your trainners Gul?

Scarely impressive session there AR

Good to hear you are back Menna.

16m for me this morning ending with 3m progressive (1m@ PMP, 1m@HMP, 1m@10kP). Felt hard on tired legs. 73m for the week.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done on the parkrun pb, Gul.

AR: tough sounding session.  I sometimes a 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1 pyramid, but that's minutes and off one minute recovery each time...

Hope the return to running is successful, Mennania.

Bath Running Festival for me today.  I ran what was called the half-marathon, but even on their own maps was well over 25km (15.5M).  With a little diversion added due to 3 of us missing a turning it ended up being 16.5M for me.  The hills were the toughest I've ever done, hence the time wasn't great (8.32m/m, anyone?).  Still, first lady and (I think) 12th overall, although seeing as the prize-giving still hadn't taken place 90 minutes after I'd finished, I gave up and came back to Bristol as I've got a bit of work to do!

• Nice one Gul - sub 19 can't be too far off now.

Well done to Jools as well - great to finish top chick. Will they send you your prize?

Slightly disappointing Bushy Park 10K for me this morning - almost ideal conditions apart from a slight breeze that strengthed as the race went on.

First 3K felt comfortable and was on track for a sub 40 but then caught the headwind from 3K to 5K and got to the halfway point in about 20 mins. It was always going to be a bit of struggle from then on in, and I finished in about 40:45; about 30s down on my previous sortie on this course.

No excuses for a below par performance other than an absence of speed sessions over the last few weeks. Just proves that you can't expect to run fast if you don't train fast.

Have signed up for the Gosport Half in the middle of November and will be concentrating on getting in good form for that one, so hopefully will be able to knock out at least one good 5K and 10K in the build up. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Keir - no, I wasn't even temptedimage Solid FFLSR to round off the week.
    Jools - nice work. Good going to pick up 1st lady on a hilly course.
    Lorenzo - I think you could probably blame the hurricane force windsimage So will you be getting down to some speedwork in the lead up to Gosport?
    I now have 2 speed sessions a week planned for the next 4 weeks, so cutting back quite a bit on the mileage. 3 slow miles to kick off d&d a little while ago. Also did another run/walk session with Mrs GD yesterday evening - she seems quite keen!

• Hello all.

Good running and racing, as always.

A very brief pop in. I have still been plodding for the last couple of months. Struggling for motivation, but still averaging approx. 35 miles a week, to keep ticking over.

I am due to have an op on my shoulder at the start of September, it doesn't hurt anymore but still very little movement.

Back to work and only treadmill running for all of August and very little internet.

I have entered a little race in April next year.

Hopefully I will post more regularly again come September/October.

Keep on and remember to enjoy it.

• PMJ - Great reports of great running in the USA!!! USA!!! USA!!!, and a nice bit of media wh*ring to boot.

Jools - Congrats on the win! Btw, you didn't mention whether you were bombarded with offers from eager young* men to accompany you at the athletics on Sunday.

AR -  That is a session only to be attempted by the brave and/or foolhardy. Where are the 3 and 2 bits?image

Gul - excellent Parkrun!

Good to hear from you, Scooby - glad that shoulder's holding up enough for you to be able to get out.

I'm also doing some maintenance work, about 35 mpw, with some kms a bit faster and generally the last couple @ HMP-ish.  10 miles yesterday and a really horrible headwind on the coastal road...

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Ant: bombarded would be over-stating it, but I had a choice of two youngish men and I chose the one who was first in time with his request.  Very kind of you to checkimage

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

6ish for me tonight, delusions of grandeur are already creeping in to me soft nogginimage

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Glad you enjoyed the athletics on Saturday Jools and great result on Sunday.

Lorenzo - I'm with you on the speed stuff.  I'm just about to start after nothing fast for 4 months.... imageimageimage

Can I pick some brains:  Racing shoes or flats.... I've never owned a pair, or worn a pair, but I have some vouchers to spend and am thinking of investing.  When do you wear them?  (ie what distance of race)  And do you train in them too?  (worried about injury etc) And do they make any difference?

I had a great day running in the Lakes yesterday and thought of OO who often runs there.  When I say running, a lot of it was scrambling with some climbing thrown in.  I don't know how these proper fell runners do it.

• Minni - I ran VLM in a pair of Mizuno Wave Elixirs which I think count as "performance shoes" and then this year got myself a pair of Wave Mushas which I think are described as "racing shoes".

I definitely notice that the Mushas are much lighter - I haven't yet used them to go over 10K although I'm thinking they'll be OK for the half in November. Will see how I feel before pushing the boat out at VLM. Not sure the extent to which they make any real difference, but psychologically I feel faster!!!

Would recommend training in them to get used to them, and also to see how your feet / heels / calves react to them

I haven't had any injuries and I'd describe myself as a mildly over-pronating heel striker (probably just as well I'm not on any dating websites!! image)

Gul - definitely plenty of speedwork in the run up to the half. Time to put Matt Fitzgerald to the test.

Scoobs - good to hear you're still in one piece. Fingers crossed for the op.

• Minni, flats definitely make you faster: both in reality and in mind (I also have thin fast socks for them). I run up to half marathon in mine but don't train in them: keep them for those special A races.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SD - good to hear from you again - keeping on plugging away at that dreadmill.
    Ant - steady as she goes.
    Mennania - probably not deluded at all - good news.
    Minni - sounds like a real treat.
    Lorenzo - ah, yes, Matt Fitzgerald. It'll be interesting to hear how you get on.
    9 miles for me this morning, including 4 x 1M off 400m recoveries in 5:58 (pushed a little bit too hard in the second 800 to make up for a slower start), 6:00 (better), 5:58, 6:02 (paid a bit for the third rep).  Not far off what I was aiming for so happy with the set.

• GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just a quick read back and see there are some performances of note. Well done Speedy on your new 5k PB, a PB is a PB! We now share the same 5k time although I have only ever gone sub 19 once.

PMJ - Very envious of your transatlantic endeavours and your 10k time. Very close to the sub 37 but still a very impressive time! I love the sound of those big events and I am sure the diversity must be interesting! What's up next?

Gul - Great time for your 5k, was it a parkrun? If so what would that equate to if it was a road race. Impressive mile reps there, you are flying at the mo. Are you going to race a 10k sometime soon?

Minni - I have to go along with Lorenzo re the racing shoes, I wear them for distances from 5 - 21.1k and I feel they give me an edge. All my running shoes are light even the ones I use for marathon training. I do think you need to get used to them though. I liked the first pair I bought so much that I bought a second pair straight away just in case they became obselete. I used one for training and saved the other pair for racing.

Into the swing of mara training now and did my longest run last Sunday since London. 16 miles at 7:57 avg pace. Felt really easy with a 3 mile gradual inclince of 300ft at the 6 mile mark, although I did flag a bit in the last two miles. First 20 miler for me this Sunday. What's the general consensus on how many 20+ mile runs one should do if they are aiming for a quickish mara time? Would appreciate any thoughts from you guys as I am still a novice with only one marathon under my belt.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Nice splits Gul. You must take a lot of confidence where you are now. Surely you need to find some races to do now to smash some pbs.

Not much experience or knowledge of shoes Minni so I'm also reading and learning.

Gerard - I think most run 5x20milers for sub 3.15, 7 - 8 for sub 3 although I think hard core people like Badbark and AR ran about 12 - 14 of them in their build ups!

12m with 5m progressive for me this morning. Started with 1m@6.50m/m then progressed by 10sec per mile up to 6.10m/m. Stopped after 1.5m feeling puffed out. Stopped and stretched for a couple of minutes and the remaining miles I was comfortably meeting the pacing targets. This has made me realise that either I need more than my usual 2.5m steady running for a warm-up or / and stretching actually improves performance. I have always avoid stretching before running before partly because I heard that it actually have a negative effect on muscles and slow performance, but mainly becuase I don't acually enjoy doing it. I might need to reconsider now.

• FrazerelliFrazerelli ✭✭✭

Minni. I have so me saucony fast twitch that I use up to HM distance like PMJ. In reality the main differencefor duffers like us is prob in the head but I do like them. I woud do reps of 5k pace or quicker especially if on the the track in them

Sounds like you're getting into the swing GM. Consensus is for longest 5 LSRs total 10+ miles. Remind us your mara target. You're not doing long runs a tad quick are you? conventional wisdom has it they do you more good the slower you go ( within reason!)

nice reps from Gul

Do you run progressively in warm up Keir. M suggests I do 3 miles starting easy then building up to MP for a session like that. I do stretch if doing quick reps but can't honestly comment whether it helps.

Attempted a progressive run myself today. More or less ok til mile 7 out of 8 but that was into a moderately evil headwind. Finished with a 5.55 and def  blowing a bit at the end 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I wear flats for every race now Minni, but mine have a bit more cushioning than pure flats (Asics DS racers). Agree with PMJ, just to race not to train.

I'm jealous Minni- haven't been to the Lakes for a while but I don't do too much rough stuff on the hills- not at my age image

First hard club session today after 2 weeks cut back. Still going out with my Nordic poles and skipping along the beech. Managed 5 miles at 12:43 pace at dawn.

Sorry i haven't had a proper catch up yet.  

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Many thanks for the shoe advice.  Of course the very fact that I asked the question last night meant I was going to buy a pair today! 

/members/images/46278/Gallery/999086_10201522063554376_1731651419_n.jpg

I went for the Adizero Adios because they are a nice colour and felt comfortable (as did the others I tried).  I'll try some reps in them on Thursday night then wear them for my next 10k.   From what I'm hearing they make you go really fast so I don't suppose I need to train much now....

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Minni you will chick everyone else in those shoes, forget about training.

Nice racing PMJ

Nice ticking over Scooby and others, the autumn season will be here soon

6m fairly slow tonight, nothing to write home about, onward/upward etc

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Nice set of mile repeats Gul

Minni - I have no more knowledge on running shoes as I do about wine. the only advice I would have given is 'red please'. Good work.

My Map reading skills are obviously very rusty. A short walk yesterday led to an 'endurance Epic'. Am planning a  'recovery walk' today as it was a very quiet cottage last night.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

GM - I think the usual recommendation is 5 or more 20+ milers or a total of 100+ miles.
    Keir - I always stretch (after a 3 mile warm-up) before doing intervals, but not usually before tempo runs as long as I speed up gradually.
    Frazer - nice progressive run.
    OO - your Nordic pole skills are quite amazing - how do you stop yourself from falling out of the tree?image
    Minni - like the new shoes.
    AR - but it was worth it for the scenery!
    3 mile recovery run this morning. We're in the middle of another round of redundancies at work, including me, so I'm off to Peterborough this afternoon for a job interview - nothing more local in my line of work, so even considering a change of career.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Excellent win Joolska.  Not many of will ever occupy the number 1 spot and it all about personal accomplishment rather than outright winning. 

Lozenro - I've always liked the look of Gosport HM primarily as it is part run on an airfield, which appeals to the boy in me.

Best wishes on the job search Gul. 

Gerard - personally I did 3x20miler at easy pace in the build up to my PB.  What I think helped me more though was 3x long runs of 13, 16, 15 with 8, 10, 12 at MP. (Credit P&D 12 week plan)

I ran 3 times yesterday - there and back to gym for spinning and to pick up my car from the garage.  Total around 4miles.  My leg didn't hurt too much.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    The colour will definitely make you run faster Minni.

Gul- decent reps from you yesterday, I wish I was in your shape and if I was, I know what I would do.

Nice training from keir and Frazer.

Well done to PMJ for some top racing and report.

Good to hear from you Scooby, let's hope you can get that shoulder sorted.

14 miles for me this morning in a new pair of shorts. I now have cuts and abrasions where no man (unless they're a bit kinky) should have cuts and abrasions. I thought stepping into the shower with runners nipple was painful......FFS...ouch!!!