Just how slow should a long slow run be?

Did my first LSR for Chester today. 90 mins, but I'm disappointed as I had to walk about half a mile. I think I did 7-8 miles in the 90 mins (Garmin battery ran out of power), and my usual running pace is about 10 min mile or slightly below.

How fast or slow should I be aiming for, so I can learn for next weekend?

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    When you say that 10 min miles is your normal pace, what distance is that over?

Have you got any previous race times to go off?

It's hard to give advice without much info.
  • Until more info comes along, I would suggest you run at a pace that you can chat at- at least a sentence at a time.  If your usual pace is 10mm, then you would probably be doing around 11- 11:30mm.

Don't run it fast, even if you can.  You won't get the correct training effect.

• I averaged just over 10 min miles in my half marathon PB, 2.17. My 10k PB is 1.00.29, and 5k in 27.32, so I'm not quick to start with. I train on my own but I'm thinking of joining the local club for someone to train with and for motivation

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Definitely recommend joining a club. Not just motivation and company, but lots and lots of good advice from people who've been there and done it image  I can't add to what others have said about pace, but would 100% recommend joining a club.  It has done wonders for me.

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Hi Steve, not surprised you had to walk for a bit if your normal training pace is only just slower than your 10k race pace. I'd be knackered if I tried that! The McMillan calculator suggests somewhere between 11 and 12 minute miles for long runs based on your race times; I'd suggest trying to keep at the slower end of that if you are not used to running these longer distances yet. It might feel unnaturally slow at first but you will get used to it and it'll be loads more satisfying not to have to stop.

• Thanks all for the advice. Slower is better this weekend. Hopefully it's a bit cooler

• Hi Steve - I am joining a running club next week for the same sort of thing.  My long slow runs seem to be coming on ok, its a 10.5 mile for me this weekend for the 1st time this year I will be in double figures image.  Its my speed that I need to work on as I am only doing 11mm at the moment on a long run.  I could do with running a 10k and getting a race time for that as the last one that I did took 1 hr 9 but it was scorching hot and I struggled to cope with the heat.

• Just an update for everyone. I did my first LSR after posting last weekend today. 10.11 miles in 1.49.36. My longest ever non stop run, so I'm as happy as I've been for a while.  11 miles next week, and a few shorter runs during the week. RESULT!