Options

Interesting read??

I have read Ben Fogle's Accidental Adventurer and found it really inspiring at all the things he has endured. I just wondered what other books people can recommend as a good motivational book? Running related or just adventure based?!

Comments

• Options
    Paul J-RPaul J-R ✭✭✭
    Art of Running Faster by Julian Goater - fascinating book that really gets into the mind of the author. He seems to be very open about his experiences and training. Following his advise I got a really excellent PB in a 5 mile race. The tip I took from it and planned was to do 2 sets of intervals the week before a race, 5x1 mile intervals at target race pace on the Monday, 6x300m sprints on the Wednesday, slow 4 mile run with quick and quiet feet on the Saturday, and race on the Sunday. It did the job for me!
  • Options

I'm sure many will reciprocate this, but "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall is a good read. Weather you are a convert to barefoot/ ultra marathon running or not it still makes a good read with flamboyant characters and interesting science to boot!

• Options

Finished both Running with the Kenyans and Dean Karnezes RUN just recently. Enjoyed the first one better but would recommend both. 

• Options

Hated Born to Run!  image  Also deeply disliked Feet in the Clouds AND  the first one by Dean Karnazes (forget the name, but it was an ego fest beyond belief).

Chrissie Wellington's latest is very good though, as is an independent e-book aimed a women runners called Iron Mum's Little Book of Practical Inspiration.  It's also worthwhile following the twitter feeds of some of the athletics sites/mags as their tweets can take you to articles that prove to be very useful, albeit inadvertently on occasion.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

i go with Paul and art of running faster. Really well structured in that it deals with all key running issues on a chapter by chapter basis and keeps you engaged with the writer with his flashback stories, albeit mostly about his own greatest victory at the English cross country championships. Suited me as I really enjoy that discipline.

• Options

'Swim, Bike, Run' by the Brownlee Brothers is a good read.

Agree with Chrissie Wellington comments. Great read.

• Options

Ben Fogle? I'm not reading anything by a fake TV person. 

• Options

The Flying Scotsman, by Graeme Obree.

A superb book, on many levels.

• Options

I did like the film. One of the very few sports films that ever worked.

• Options

I'm currently reading running on empty by Marshall Ulrich. About his run across the USA. It's good because it isn't glamorous, he really goes in to depth as to how bloody hard it is image Which I like

• Options

Is he the guy who whacked the female runner on the finish line of the marathon so he could do his show off push ups?

• Options

The White Spider.

Makes you admire mountaineers while very definitely not wanting to be one. 

• Options
    I don't read any running/adventure books. But I can recommend some really interesting art history and first world war books with some very inspirational characters if anyone is interested...
  • Options

Feet in the Clouds was very good, Born to run was good but a bit cliched, I read Ghost runner which I found quite an inspiration although I ended up disliking the person. Worst was can't swin, can't run, can't ride etc   

• Options

The Long Way Round & The Long Way Down - absolutely amazing - and get the DVDs to go with them!

• Options
    DunkyDDunkyD ✭✭✭

I loved running with Kenyans.

The best book I've read on running, that summed up that slightly unknown answer of why we run, is What I Talk About When I Talk About Running by Haruki Marakami - great read

Chin chin,

• Options

The books by the Brownlees and Chrissie I really enjoyed. Have also read and thoroughly enjoyed Lynn Cox's "Swimming to Antarctica" chronicling her many long-distance swimming exploits. She became the subject of medical testing to discover just how she managed to swim comfortably in water almost freezing. Shows just how amazingly adapable the human body is.

• Options

Running with the Kenyans, What I talk about when I talk about running and Born to Run are good shouts along with Eat and Run by Scott Jurek, Cool Impossible by Eric Orton and Chrissie Wellingtons life without limits.

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I really enjoyed Feet In The Clouds.  It mixes the experiences of the average runner with the achievements of the best in a way I liked.

Otherwise, I'd heartily recommend From Last to First by Charlie Spedding.  He writes in a very accessible, personable manner and if reading about how he went from being fairly average to winning Olympic bronze doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will.

Although quite a lot of Noakes' The Lore of Running is technical (and it is a doorstop sized tome) the chapter on learning from the experts is interesting.

• Options

Charlie Spedding's book 'From last to first. '

Great read.

• Options

birkmyre, I've read that and at the moment am reading Chrissie Wellington's book "A life without limits. Both very inspirational.

• Options

Terence: Agreed re both books.

• Options

Just started reading Scott Jureks book 'Eat and Run'.

Finding it a good read, I didn't know what to expect to be honest.