Marathon training: how long for your longest run?

2»

Comments

• seren nos wrote (see)

Not sure why you use shin splints as an excuse if you only had then when you started running and didn't have the correct footwear,,..........

I agree that more likely to get injury from sped work than from a built up long slow run.....

but seems like you have decided what you are going to do....you can do a marathon on no training at all.isn't fun or quick....

Not sure what excuses I'm making - isn't avoiding running exclusively on hard surfaces and not ramping up speed/mileage too quickly just basic running common sense?

Anyway I've only got 16 weeks to go and I've not run more than 10km in over a year.  If anyone can find me a reputable beginners training schedule that advocates running more than 1 or 2 20 mile runs over from this base and over that timeframe I'm happy to consider it. 

• literatinliteratin ✭✭✭

Seren, where does Creech say what all his other race times are? Or have you been doing advanced webstalking?

• just thought it was unusual for a someone his age who had only started running last year to run no more than 16 miles to run 3:21.......

only 1 minute of the GFA catergory for over 50's......which isn't an easy catergory....

I just don't think he is representative of most new runners...and to suggest that most newbies can run those times with a lack of long runs is going to end up with a lot of people walking long distances ........but i am mighty impressed by his running times from such little training......image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

No prizes for guessing what Seren was doing between 10.30 and 2.30

Stalky stalky....

• roebyroeby ✭✭✭

agree a bloomin brill time for v50 well done creech , did you win your category then ?

• Thanks Roeby, but nowhere near winning my category...

Probably slighly naive but didn't expect anyone to look me up. Impressed/intimidated with Seren's stalking skills. Agree that if I didn't have family/work/social stuff etc and could put in the longer runs, could go a lot faster but the reason I replied to Bbug was that I think it is possible to run an enjoyable and relatively pain free marathon without  long training runs. 

Good luck Beetlebug. 

• Stevie. i  was actually at the dentist for the second of three visits today followed by an asda shop.

I did spend a quick 5 mins looking up our friend because i thought he might have been another one of those bullshitters that come on here and claim that they can run 13 mins for a 5k without any training.........but i was totally wrong and and in less than 2 mins found he was a pretty impressive runner for his short runing career.....hats off to the guy...