PSOF Championships 2013 - Challenge Henley

Comments

• Cool - this solves a piece of the puzzle! I was going to drive to the swim start on my own in the morning (missus will be with 3 year old and will turn up later) This will enable me to just hop on from Swiss Farm and not worry about the car. image

BB - I'm at the 'Farm but in a static caravan. Let us know if you get a reply and I'll get on it too.

• Hi chaps. I'm at the Caravan Club site which is next to Swiss Farm. I've not sussed how I am going to get to T1 either yet - so if the pirates are all going for a boat trip then I'll join in too, if that's okay. 

• allright alright chaps if anyone ends up staying in newbury near me I can happily give a lift on Friday,Saturday,Sunday,Monday... Just let me know... I would offer a spot at my gaf but I have bugger all room!

• Ahoy there !  Hope you are all doing well (and the leg is getting better Raf)

What are your recommendations in terms of tapering ?

• Brooko - it all depends how quickly you recover. Physiologically there will little to gain through exercising in the preceding 2 weeks as it takes this long for any adaptation in the muscles to take place. But it always feels like you need to do something! Personally I'd just cut down and then do nothing for 3 days before hand (although saying that I'm racing an Olly the week before (Achilles permitting!)).

Tried the fixed cog on the Fixie this afternoon - its OK until you forget and try and coast down a hill! Starting and stopping will take a bit of getting use to as well.

Then went for a blast on the TT complete with race wheels - great fun until I got a wasp down the front on my Monaco - boy that hurt!! image

• Sorry to hear about your injury Raf. image

I've just done a 10mile route on a cyfac gothica!  Oh my, what a bike. Average speed on an undulating route was 16.5mph. It climbed smooth, and went round corners all by itself and downhill it kept stable and controlled. I thought I was doing about 20mph down hill but it was 31.2. I want one!!!!  But the frame alone costs £2,700. image

But Mr Soup said I can have one if I save up and buy it next spring. image

• Raf - Good work on the Fixie, I can't imaging the pain and panic of a wasp down your top while riding. How’s the achilles?

Soup - That’s a lot of bike, and a lot of bike envy your going to generate.

All this talk of race day logistic is very scary, only 5 weeks to go Ahhhhhhh!

Training is really starting to bite 18hrs last week and 19hr this week not helped by the fact I'm working a bit as well as house husbanding and school holidays. I'm starting to feel tried all the time and am well glad of rest day tomorrow to reset ready for another hard week. Timing is not my strong point I will lose at that least a swim and a run this week as I'm getting married and I just can fit everything in but should still manage 15-16hrs and will keep long ride at 5-6hrs.

• Getting married? In the middle of ironman training you mad bro? image seriously though scuba well done mate and its not long until taper time! I start my taper about 2 weeks before the event and ride hard right up too the last week.... Just keep concentrating on the race and your big day.... Well the mrs big day your just there because she will allow you too be there!

training was ok this week had too have 2 rest due to working 6 days but I had this planned anyway so wasent worried.... Swimming is steady.... Biking is through the roof with a time trial podium as well as going balls too the wall today in a small club race where I won.... Running is getting better too injury is still niggling a bit but getting there.... Just trying too not do too much but all this racing going on isnt Helping! I have a busy cycling schedule for the next few weeks with a 100 miler and a full on road race where I'm trying too go up category (road racing is confusing as hell and has loads of categories withs point systems unlike tri which is elite and age group....)

• you're getting married?? kept that very quiet .... or has she forced you in to it at short notice? image if you're doing it against your will, blink twice........ Congrats anyways ..... and if you need a bridesmaid I can drag my skirt out image

•  

Rafiki wrote (see)

you're getting married?? kept that very quiet .... or has she forced you in to it at short notice? image if you're doing it against your will, blink twice........ Congrats anyways ..... and if you need a bridesmaid I can drag my skirt out image

I speak for all of us please don't...... actually on second thought how about wearing it for the run portion of Henley..... You will be easy too spot!

• Cheers Whiz, sounds like your hammering it right now.

Raf - you almost made me sick then, even with your legs shaved as they are, the thought of you in a skirt is not a good one.

Planned to get married last November but the stroke, hospital and recovery put pay to that. I did say when the other half choose the date I would be in the middle of peak IM training and she said it would be ok, we were both mad to consider it but we are making it work sort of.

• Gents, you should just ask the ladies who were at the Christmas party how cool I look in my skirt image

But hope it all goes well Scuba!

• Best of luck Scuba - hope you enjoy your day! That's some training hours you're putting in there too mate - a stark contrast to my 11 hours this week! 

Awesome cycling Jamie as usual. Have you thought about just cycling once CH is done with? Looks like you have some decent talent there...

5 weeks to go - eek! image

• Best wishes for the wedding Scuba, have a fantastic day !

Great training by everyone too.

• Hi All.

Rafi you muppet. Do the Doner and rest it up (also no hill cycling or stomping) until the big day. Maybe there is an achilles baton - I'm back running now, managed 3 weeks at 20km/week image

Hope everyone else is ok.

• Congratulations Scuba! image

Rafiki wrote (see)

Gents, you should just ask the ladies who were at the Christmas party how cool I look in my skirt image

Rafiki wrote (see)

Gents, you should just ask the ladies who were at the Christmas party how cool I look in my skirt image

I can vouch for how fetching Raf looked in his skirt at Christmas. And his long socks to match. 

On the new bike front - something I should have added is that apart from saving up loads of dosh, I have to improve my biking to be more worthy of such a creature. That is one huge sparkly carrot. image

not long now. 

I'm booked into B&B in Henley but might cancel now I'm only doing the half so if anyone needs accommodation give me a shout and I can see about a swap or give you some advanced notice of a bed coming up in Henley. 

• Badger - that is my plan pretty much, I'm going too be mainly doing CRIT races, road, and time trial races too get points, the fellas at my club reckon I can really do some damage at the road nationals, I will be doing a few half ironmans next year but 90% of my training is going too be cycling.....

not long now til a day of fun!

• So has anyone successfully booked with Hobb's for this river boat? 

• Rafiki wrote (see)

Yes ... ask away !!!

• I've seen his legs in shorts, I can't see how a skirt would improve the situation.

• I said 'ladies' not witches!!

UltimateBadger wrote (see)

So has anyone successfully booked with Hobb's for this river boat? 

Nope!! Must see id Barley got a response from his email

• Hi all!

Just signed up for the Half; looking to do a route recce of the bike course and maybe a  lap of the run (if that's possible) on the weekend of the 17th if anyone fancied joining? 

Im not planning on 'ragging' it as I don't know the terrain; I tend to be a 20 mph rider on the rolling hills around bristol.

Jay

• All right chaps hope all is going well! Nearly taper time which I'm looking forward too.... Training is really high at the moment and I seem too be spending no time at all at home lol! Actually got some good run training in this week too as the injury has gone all together now but I'm still not risking speed work which is a bit of a pain..... However bike speed work is going great.... Have become addicted too strava and I now am king of the mountain around half of bloody newbury lol! Been doing some TT races with the  club and doing pretty decently.... Had my first 10 miler last night which was fun! I highly recommend you guys give it a go anyone can just turn up too them and they cost like 3 quid! Here's a quick link of my time which I'm relatively happy with but I plan on getting really serious and setting some course records... I'm only 1 minute off the course record! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/355119256

• Oh and raf how's your injury? Hopefully getting better!

also how is our groom this week!?! Bricking it I bet!

• Whiz - I did a brick session today if that’s what you mean, 5:40 on the bike (94miles) followed by 1hr (6.5miles) run. Found the end of the run really hard and am glad I’ve only go 1 more of the to do before taper.

Quick swim in the morning tomorrow but don't thing I'll have time for a run so my just get married instead .Then rest day Saturday with a day at the races with loads of friends to celebrate the wedding. Long run Sunday with hangover I think.

Raf - How’s the achilles?

Jayvid - There is a recce thread somewhere but most of us have done a couple of laps. Might be a few of the locals willing to show you round.

• Whizz - you are a speed machine !  I quite fancy the idea of some TT's, they look fun and would make a change from solo, long(ish) rides.

Scuba - WOW,great days training.  Good luck for the wedding, have a fantastic day.

Hope everyone else is doing good....I'm ok...altough riddled with self doubt !

• Brooko - Very thing ok after the illness? You been given the all clear to for the Full Distance?

• Thank you all for your kind comments and best wishes for the wedding.

• I'm not sure I am 100% fixed, but will be giving the full distance a go...! 

Now get ready for that wedding 

• ok.

whats the story with camping?