Completely new to this!

Hi everyone.

I have decided to start running, basically because it looks fun and stress-relieving and I really need to get in shape!

I am really lazy at the moment, my idea of a good night in is to sit in front of my laptop or read all night. I used to go to the gym a lot and I got halfway up the belt system in Tang Soo Do, but then I got a really demanding job and have no time for exercise. I realised I needed to make time for exercise!

I am literally brand new to running, I haven't got a clue how to start or what warm-ups I should do or anything, any advice would be greatly appreciated! I know I need to buy some running shoes but I don't want to spend too much, also I have no idea which brand/type to go for.

Hope someone can help!

Comments

• The best thing to do is just get out there and run! My view is if you've not done it before just get some cheap and cheerful running trainers from sports direct and get started. If after a few months you are really getting into it then you can look at getting some fancy ones!

If you are brand new I'd start out with doing the Couch to 5k plan.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

Its a beginners plan which mixes walking and running.  If you have a smart phone you can search it's app store for an app that'll tell you when to walk and run in your earphones to make it easier.

Its how I got started and I've just signed up for my 3rd half marathon, so it definitely works if you apply a bit of determination with it!

•  

mattywarr wrote (see)

The best thing to do is just get out there and run! My view is if you've not done it before just get some cheap and cheerful running trainers from sports direct and get started. If after a few months you are really getting into it then you can look at getting some fancy ones!

Sorry mattywarr but that's the worst thing you can do -  it's a quick way to injury and subsequent disillusionment with running.

If you're just startng out there are other things you can scrimp on but shoes shoudn't be one of them. Neither should be a sports bra (I'm asuming you're a woman) so make sure you get one of those too.

As for the shoes, if you go and get fittted at a proper running shop they will recommend the right ones for you. There will normally be something in more than one price range that will suit you.

I wouldn't disagree with couch to 5k though, it's a good place to start.

Good luck!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Sorry mattywarr but that's the worst thing you can do -  it's a quick way to injury and subsequent disillusionment with running.

Totally agree.

Being lazy helps. Don't over do it.

🙂

• stu jstu j ✭✭✭

The only thing I would offer above and beyond Screamapillar & RicF is take it slow & steady.

The C25k programs will say "run for ** minutes" but it doesn't tell you how to run.  When I started earlier this year I would just run at a fairly quick rate, and would be near dead by the time my run/walk had finished.  Just take it slow, so what if your 5k is run in 35 minutes & other people do it quicker?  You're running for you, and for your own fun & stress relieving (which I can fully backup does work!) - if you're close to death by the end of the run you won't be having fun and you will not look forward to the runs that you have setup.

hope this helps

• I have recently completed the NHS Couch to 5K and couldn't recommend it highly enough, it was brilliant at getting me moving and completing a really achievable training plan. Take it at your pace and if you find it hard trecompile the a week just repeat until you are ready to move on. Good luck! You can do it! I love running and working towards an 8k in Amsterdam in October now...and the teach first 10k in September...just trying to not worry about speed too much and keep enjoying it.

• Have a look round to see if one of your local running clubs or RunEngland groups is doing a couch-to-5k or running-from-scratch or similar course. You never know - and it's more fun doing it with other people.  Ask around work/friends/school/whatever in case someone else wants to start with you (or perhaps they did c25k a year or 2 ago and would love to keep you company). 

I agree on the sports bra and shoes - I run a c25k class at my local club and while it's true to an extent that you *can* "just get out there and run", it is soooo much more comfortable in the right shoes and bra image . But of course it's tricky when you're starting because you don't find out what "right" feels like except by experience. And sometimes money is tight!

• RicF wrote (see)

Totally agree.

Worked for me! A blog on here somewhere wrote the first thing to do is abandon all reason and get out and do it.

Not everyone has an elaborate running plan or want to beat times or run long distances, nor afford to get a gait analysis or spend money on gear.

Better off running in cheap trainers than not running because you can't afford good ones. And if you find out you really don't like running anyway, thats just money down the drain.

My golf swing is a bit dodgy and my clubs are a bit short for me, and its probably not doing my back any favours... but I enjoy playing it anyway.

• mattywarr wrote (see)

RicF wrote (see)

Totally agree.

Worked for me! A blog on here somewhere wrote the first thing to do is abandon all reason and get out and do it.

Not everyone has an elaborate running plan or want to beat times or run long distances, nor afford to get a gait analysis or spend money on gear.

Better off running in cheap trainers than not running because you can't afford good ones. And if you find out you really don't like running anyway, thats just money down the drain.

My golf swing is a bit dodgy and my clubs are a bit short for me, and its probably not doing my back any favours... but I enjoyplaying it anyway.

Yes but that's your back, your body and your choice.

If you want to injure yourself running or paying golf that's absolutely fine but don't encourage other people to do the same.

• Sorry for expressing an opinion.

I quite like the idea of playing badminton, so the first thing I'll do is go and buy "proper" badminton shoes, an expensive raquet and proper feathered shuttles. Because, you know, if I don't then I might get injured.

Plus everyone knows expensive gear means you get better at stuff and makes it more enjoyable. If I bought cheap I'm bound to suck and it will all be down to buying that gosh darn cheap equipment and I'll never play badminton again!

/sarcasm

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

I'm with Screamapillar on this 100%.

Running, especially for starters is inherently risky. The level of stresses from the activity compared with a sedentary way of life are enormous.

Having learn't the hard way, I can vouch for walking and a few yards jogging to start with and then days off recovering between.

This is difficult since you might not feel tired at all. But some of the structures in your body have taken an almighty hit. You just can't feel it.

🙂

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    mattywarr wrote (see)

The best thing to do is just get out there and run! My view is if you've not done it before just get some cheap and cheerful running trainers from sports direct and get started. If after a few months you are really getting into it then you can look at getting some fancy ones!

To be fair I don't think this is bad advice if taken with the rest of the post...  The distance and intensity are both going to be low during a c25k plan...  When I first started I used a cheap shitty pair of trainers...  Never had an injury until after I had gait analysis and bought a more expensive pair of running shoes...  I'm not blaming the running shoes for any injuries or niggles, just saying...

• I'm not saying Screamapillar and yourself are wrong, just playing devils advocate and looking at it from a different approach.

Its no more risky then someone playing football for the first time. Or rugby!

Sure in an ideal world everyone would go and "Do the right thing", get trained and fitted for everything properly. But it's no ideal world.

My view is that the health benefits of doing exercise in the first place are more important than procrastinating on getting the right kit.

• Taxi Driver wrote (see)
    mattywarr wrote (see)

To be fair I don't think this is bad advice if taken with the rest of the post...  The distance and intensity are both going to be low during a c25k plan...  When I first started I used a cheap shitty pair of trainers...  Never had an injury until after I had gait analysis and bought a more expensive pair of running shoes...  I'm not blaming the running shoes for any injuries or niggles, just saying...

Indeed! I certainly wasn't suggesting that someone just take a pair of old trainers and try and run a marathon at 6 minute miles...

• Cady, give the couch to 5k a go Andy make sure you have a rest day after each run, steadily build up your stamina, once you feel comfortable maybe try a local park run, incredibly friendly and full of lots of runners with differing abilities. I began running on the trainers that I used to cut my lawn! I would never run in these now and the trainers I bought are like slippers on my feet and make me feel like I can fly image always worth eventually investing...plus if you do get the bug try buying s'more dri fit clothing to wick away sweat. 

• Thanks everyone for your replies! I have Couch to 5k in my ipod now, and as I have had dodgy knees in the past I am going to go into Cardiff and get fitted for running shoes just to be safe. Can't wait to get started! Just need to find a running route near me now image

Think I'll start running in the mornings, I know if I leave it til after work I won't end up going.

• Good luck, be interesting to hear how you get on!

• This

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/your-first-run/9092.html

I'd second proper running shoes.

Routes near you: http://www.walkjogrun.net

Be aware that the shops seem to put something in them that has odd effects. I bought a pair of running shoes for treadmill use at the gym because I was getting some aches from my knackered dunlop greenflash plimsoles when doing my warm up six minute jog. I only used the treadmill because the bicycles were occupied.

The salesman said, "You could run outside with these too" and I was like "Yeah, right! as if..."

I now seem to own about six pairs of running shoes and a load of kit and can be seen flitting about hilltops with a backpack on.

• i enjoyed all these messages. its intresting how ppl help and message. great

• idiot with a bucket list wrote (see)

This

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/your-first-run/9092.html

I'd second proper running shoes.

Routes near you: http://www.walkjogrun.net

Be aware that the shops seem to put something in them that has odd effects. I bought a pair of running shoes for treadmill use at the gym because I was getting some aches from my knackered dunlop greenflash plimsoles when doing my warm up six minute jog. I only used the treadmill because the bicycles were occupied.

The salesman said, "You could run outside with these too" and I was like "Yeah, right! as if..."

I now seem to own about six pairs of running shoes and a load of kit and can be seen flitting about hilltops with a backpack on.

Hey thanks for this, very helpful image