MBNA Chester Marathon 2013

Comments

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Welcome back Scottimage

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

4m recovery run done and dusted to finish the recovery week- back to it tomorrow!image weekly stats: 76.06m in 9.26.58 (7.27 av)

• NellyP wrote (see)

Just done the Harting Trail 10 Mile , Hard race with 850ft of climbs (i know nothing to those of you who've done snowdon etc but more than enough for me image ) my first race since the injury and whilst not setting the world alight (1:39) i finished without injury so all feeling good. 

Time to start uping the mileage.

Still can't decide whether to follow Rob's skirt in the 4:45 group or go for 4:30 suppose there's still plenty of time to deside

NellyP wrote (see)

Just done the Harting Trail 10 Mile , Hard race with 850ft of climbs (i know nothing to those of you who've done snowdon etc but more than enough for me image ) my first race since the injury and whilst not setting the world alight (1:39) i finished without injury so all feeling good. 

Time to start uping the mileage.

Still can't decide whether to follow Rob's skirt in the 4:45 group or go for 4:30 suppose there's still plenty of time to deside

Hi I done the South Harting 10 mile trail race as part of preparation for MBNA Chester marathon ( my first marathon) . I thoroughly enjoyed today's race and kept a good pace throughout. 

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭

got my training up to 1h 37 so farimage

• Hi Lesana good to know there will be at least 2 southerners at Chester (my first marathon as well), thought Harting was excellent

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

5.7m recovery run this morning. I didn't go out until 11, hoping that the downpour might eventually stop, or at least slow- another good soakingimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

7mi recovery today - I went when stopped raining...now looks like about to start again - COME ON RAIN! (I live near Old Trafford).

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Got 8ish later- looks like I will get drenched again....image

• Lisa123Lisa123 ✭✭✭

Unfortunately I am now out of Chester - stupidly I have managed to give myself a tibial stress fracture  #*&#%#, image so unfortunately Chester will have to wait until next year, which I am determined to do.

Happy training guys and gals and I will keep popping back to see how you all do image

• OooO Lisa poor you that's the pits, but I've been there having done lots of training for Fleetwood marathon a few years ago and a pal to pace me to a pb - I did my back in , severe spasm 5 days before, run ? I could hardly stand for a couple of days . 

Came back to running gently couple of weeks later 

• Sorry to hear about injury lisa123 image.   Are there any shorter races in the new year you can aim for as a recovery run?

5 mile hills this morning. Was hoping to get rained on but the sun was beating down. Roll on crisp icy morningsimage 

• Sorry to hear about your injury Lisa , wishing you a speedy recovery

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good luck with your recovery Lisa.

Anyone on here doing the Great Warford 10 this sunday? (it's near Wilmslow/Knutsford).

•  15West....Yeah I am doing that race.. starts at   "The David Lewis" centre Gt Warford village between Alderley Edge and Knutsford SK9 7UD...have a good run

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

and you Rose...

My schedule has me down for 9mi with 6x800m VO2 intervals today...so I guess that's what I should do.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

Lisa- sorry to hear itimage

15W- Hope the intervals went wellimage

Woohoo!!!image Feel that I am making progress nowimage Track session of 20x400 at 10k pace off 100 recoveries done and dusted with each rep being either 84, 85 or 86 seconds (consistent!) and the 10k done and dusted in 38.28, feeling pretty comfortable. Especially pleased after yesterday's 20 mins of hill repeats. Think my 10k PB may be adjusted in Swansea in October. Maybe my 5k on Sunday tooimageimage

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning everyone.

Well done Jason on your track session and 10k. My 6x800 intervals went ok...all done at about 5.40min/mi pace.

Today is 7mi recovery run. Nice weather for running at moment.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

Lisa - Sorry to hear about that. How long are you out for?

Ice Queen - you said:

"I'm halfway through my training plan now and I've missed two long runs (10 and 12 miles), two tempo (five miles each) and one speed session (3 * 1600m).  Experienced marathon runners - do you think it matters that much? It's my first marathon and I just want to get round without it being too much of an ordeal... "

I've done three marathons, so not that experienced.  As you've done 13 miles and you've still got 8+ weeks to go I think you're alright if you're just trying to get round without it being too much of an ordeal. The runs not to miss are the long slow runs, though of course, subject to not increasing mileage too much and avoiding injury, all runs help. Hardly anyone manages all planned sessions, and quite a lot of people, me included, have plenty of poor sessions - for example my last VO2 max sessions was poor. 

Before a marathon I like to run 6 20+ mile training runs, but then I do like running!

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15West- thanks- the track session was the 10k (total distance)image Hope the recovery run in the sun went well

recovery run here this morning too, similar laterimage

• 7mile tempo this morning. Tried out new pure cadence,.,,, jury is out I think. 

Missed the rain But quite sticky.

i was planning on doing 6/7 20+ runs before the big day....mainly to satisfy mental doubts.

have a good weekend everyone image 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

8 or 9 mi for me today.

I've got a pair of adidas adistar boosts that I still haven't worn. I have wide feet and usually wear Brooks GTS 2e's...but thought I should get some racing shoes as everyone goes on about how great they are all the time....but I don't know, not sure if they feel right or not and how I would get on with them///only one way to find out I guess....maybe I should try on a parkrun sometime.

• Isn't the considered wisdom (I think I read it somewhere) that to be 'comfortable' in a marathon (how on earth can you EVER be comfortable running a marathon) that your top 5 runs should be around 100 miles. This is what I try and aim for (with the operative word being 'try'!).

10 miles last night, and it was one of those runs you dream of .. everyhting just clicked and it felt like I was flying the whole way, breathing was fine, legs felt great ... it was brilliant , miles just flew past without me noticing.... however this morning my legs now feel battered, so thankfully this weekends LSR is a step back one at 14 miles !

Happy running for the weekend everyone

• Much better long run this morning. No tears. No motivational talks. 

Started at 4 so it was nice and cool.

athletics for the rest of the day I think image 

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

10mi race in 61.10 this morning. Was hoping to break the hour but wasn't to be. Next time (maybe). Hope all your long runs are going well.

• jason djason d ✭✭✭

15 West- nice runningimage

Boo- yep 5 longest runs around 100m image

Well I turned up tohopefully run a 5k this morning . Turned up early to try a warm up mile and some strides to see if my glute was ok-had some issues until yesterday... felt ok, but I was determined that I wasn't risking anything. As it happens, no problems except for slightly heavy legs, but this was just down to the hill session and the 10k track session this week- not the best 5k preparation- lol! Added to this was the course- fantastic and fairly flat for the most part- but coastal and totally exposed and, alas the promised 5mph winds were replaced by something a little fresher! Not too bad, but enough for most of us to lose around 30 seconds in the second mile and around 10 in first part of third mile before the turn. All in all, I was a little disappointed at first with my time of 18.03, but in the context of the conditions and my highest ever mileage, to be 7 secs off a pb isn't too badimage 5k before the race, 12.xxm straight after to make up the long SLOW (oh, it was....) run and a pm 4.2m recovery run to finish off the week. Good news is that my schedule has me doing lots of speedwork over the next 8 weeksimageWeekly stats- with a few miles lost through glute thing: 96.61m in 12.23.49 (7.42 av- pace ) Best news of all- glute issue totally goneimage 

• im struggling for motivation!! i need help!! did North wales Half last sunday and that was TOUGH! it was also my longest run in a while! starting to worry im behind schedule and to top it off my leg isnt quite right!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

woah Jon. Plenty of weeks till marathon day...we are entering the toughest part of the training so you need to get your head straight. First of all - your leg. Where is ache/pain? Is acute? Does it hurt when running? walking? all the time? Maybe go easy on it for a few days, cross train maybe..or just easy miles.

With training what sort've weekly mileage you running. What is your longest long run? For a marathon you really need to build up endurance. Lots of long slow miles...one long one on the weekend of between 16 and 20mi...and maybe another mid length run during the week if you have time. On top of that would be good if you could do some sort''ve speedwork during the week...a tempo run or some intervals or something.

• Hi all.  Starting to think I should pull my finger out and get entered.  Been in this the last couple of years and it is my local - I can jog to the start in 5 minutes, so would be rude not to!  Lots of folks on this thread are training hard - I admire your dedication and consistency.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Yeah, sign up Paul...you know it makes sense. You could be home putting your feet up with a nice cup of tea straight after the race, instead of trying not to let the cramping kill you as you drive home on the M56 like I will be.

• Hi all,

Did my first ever 30 mile week last week and feeling pretty good, begginging to run now without wiorrying the calf will go again.

Plan says to go into the unknown this week , 16 mile Long run on sunday never run that far in my life image. Actually looking forward to it in a strange way.