Times for 10k

DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
What times would be considered good for a beginner to run 10K in?

I guess your thoughts on average times and slow times would be useful too.

Ta.

Comments

• It all depends.

60 mins is considered good by some. others strive for 36 mins.

I ran my first 10k in 49 mins which i thought was slow, a few weeks later I ran my next 10k in 46 mins. Throw in some hills and my next 10k was 48 mins, I was happy with that

I don't really think that there is any such thing as a good time 'for a beginner'. It really depends on so many variebles that its the how long is a piece of string.

• Hi DMax,

I'm also a beginner and doing a 10k in March. Im hoping to do it in under 60 mins which for me is doable. I did run 3 miles in 25 and a half mins on Tuesday but there's no way I'd be able to keep that pace up for 10k. Not yet anyway. 

Dave

• Dmax, I haven't got under 60 mins (yet) for a 10k. Last year I did a few 10ks, with varying times - 78mins, 83mins...But they were mainly hilly trail 10ks. Not that I would be that much quicker on the road I think....

But then, I am in my 40s, overweight....I am hoping that as I lose weight and train more the times will come down.

For your first 10k I would just run it without a time in mind and then you have a pb to beat. Don't worry about what times other people do

• Good advice there from mathschick, just run the 10k in your own time,

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

My first 10k was something like 1:06, but over the years I've knocked more than ten minutes off that.

Even at 54 minutes something, that's really not fast - but I can only do what I can do!  I don't waste time worrying about what other people think/do.

• Agree with mathschick. First 10k, just go out and enjoy it. Get your PB, then work on it from there.

You will also find that running in races does give you a little extra buzz, so time may be better than you hoped for anyway.

Also agree with Wilkie, do what you feel capable of doing, not what others do.

• Monty39Monty39 ✭✭✭
    Just enjoy the first one, then book another. I have done 66mins and 49 minutes in the space of a few weeks !

( One hilly trail race with a hangover & one flat round London with thousands of people cheering us on ! )

Any time is a good time if it makes you book another race image
  • Ran my 1st 10k road racce last night and got 51.17.  Quite pleased as I have had limited training and legs were tired from playing golf in the morning

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

My first 10k was 1:17. I was last. Did it bother me? No way! I went back 12 months later and ran 53:48. This time I finished half way down the pack. Which finish got the biggest cheer? The slowest, the running community isn't perfect but it's so much more inclusive of people than many other sports. I have friends that run sub 30, some who run 60+. We all encourage each other.

• First 10K in training was probably about 1:10 (age 35), first race 55:00 and now PB 44:59 (aged 39, 85Kg, 5'11") - I feel I'm doing ok but could do much better - sub 42:00 aim before I'm 40, there are much faster older runners than me, but also way slower younger ones.

If you're in your 20's/early 30's, average weight, I'd have said about 50-55 minutes is a good target as a beginner - this seems to be around the average time my work colleagues are getting with a few months training (generally non-runners but active before that).

• My First 10K in training was a few days ago, and my time was 52:23. Quite pleased about the results, because I'm a beginner and a regular runner for about 4 months now. My longest distance was 8K before the first 10K attempt! It's a bit tough though as a race, since it requires patience, concentration and consistency! I remember that during the 10K attempt, I looked at my watch to see how much distance have covered...I thought I ran about 8K, and the reality was 6.8K!

• I have just done my first ever 10k race and I competed it in just over 49 mins I was aiming for a quicker time but when you throw everything in that comes with a race rather then training I was pleased with the time. One tip I would give is to make sure you are in right starting group. I spend the first K trying to avoid people

• I'm 41, classed as overweight by BMI standards, an ex-smoker who has taken to running in the last 6 months. I'm down to about 28 mins for my 5K time and about 58 mins for 10k. I find running really tough though. 

• Hi DMax,Dont worry about your time, completing a 10k is an achievement in itself.

Once you have a few races under your belt you might then want to start to thinking about your own personal goal times, dont worry about what others think you should be doing.

One tip I would give in relation to training is this: Train by effort and time, not distance and pace.

Good luck.

• i ran my first 10k in 1 hour 38 did a half marathon 6months later in over 3 hours and 9 months after starting running i did 10k in 1 hr 16 its all about setting tagets for yourself forget everyone else. start training enjoy your first one and see what you want to work on. before i started running i hadnt run for well over 15 years im overweight and yet i have acheived more than some who have been running far longer even though it is at a very much slower speed but i am still improving

• BikoBiko ✭✭✭

DMax

Enter a 10k. See how fast you do it.

Next race, see if you can go quicker.

Comparing yourself to other people won't get you very far. Some people will be waaay quicker, others a lot slower. The only person you can really compare yourself to is yourself (your old times). After all, none of us on here will be challenging Mo Farah any time soon.

I finished a 10 mile race in 1:38 the other week, I was delighted. A friend of mine finished a 20 mile race in 2:25 and was a little disappointed. You can't compare the two as I'm a stone overweight and he's an experienced runner!

• just enjoy it - my first 'just to get a time on the board' was 61mins, in July, then 57 mins in August. I did the Reading O2O 10k yesterday in 47:16 - got the Richmond Autumn River 10k on Sat 18th next, might be even quicker!

• A good time for a beginner? Around 38 minutes. Otherwise, you're toast....

• KieranGKieranG ✭✭✭

I wonder if the "beginner" who started this thread in January 2012 might not be a beginner any more and can let us know what his 10k time now is so we can compare it to the advice given above image.....