1-mile-reps---how-fast

Good Afternoon, 

I apologise if there are already numerous threads on this topic. Over the past year I have started running more regularly avergaing around 25 miles per week - with no specific plan or goals just running. I have done longer runs, intervals, slow runs and shorter runs and am now interested in doing some 1 mile reps to add some more variety.

How many reps should I be doing? And at what pace? 

Thanks in advance, 

Jack

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That very much depends on your race times and goals??

• Do a 5k race. Make the average pace per mile of that your mile pace. Try starting off with a two mile warm up and then 3 x 1 mile at your 5k pace with 5 minutes in between rest recovery.

• Many thanks for the quick replies. My current PB for 5k is 17:31 - would I just do the miles at my average pace for that then? Or quicker? How long do people advise for recovery in between?

Thanks,

Jack

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    17:31 off 25 miles of unstructured running a week??? I hate those people!!!

Start off with what Sussex said above and then see as you go. Then either up the pace or add more reps.

You should get yourself down to your local parkrun. I have found that running with the guys that are slightly better than me has taught me that I can push a lot more than I thought.
  • I've got a 10k race next week, but I'm planning on doing 5 x 1 mile reps at projected race pace tomorrow with 2 min recoveries.

• 17.31 from just running without taking it too seriously is very impressive, if you up your mileage and have a proper training plan just think what you can achieve. Out of interest has your 5k time always been this good or has it steadily improved?

• Thanks for all the advice it's very much appreciated, I have been told by runners I know to join clubs and start doing park runs etc. I started running regularly around October last year after butting and bobbing for years, I play a lot of tennis and football so I think that has helped. Just looking back at times on my phone app in October I was doing 5K in around 18:30. But it did drop to 18 pretty quickly and now at 17:31. I am a very competitive person especially against myself so I just want to keep trying to beat times!

Thanks,

Jack

• do the race, as Sussex Runner suggests, this will give you an accurate race time. thereafter, it will depend on what kind of race you are targetting. 1-mile repeats are more likely to be appropriate for longer target races (i'm doing them for an upcoming autumn marathon). if you want to improve your 5k time, you'll probably want a different sort of intervals in the mix. some hill sprints would also be a good addition.

as you've clearly got some ability, your best move would be to join a club and get some proper coaching advice.

• So are you saying your 17.31 wasnt even in a race? If thats the case then get yourself entered in to one asap. 

My main problem in a 5k is pacing myself my first mile always being my fastest, are you able to keep an even pace, or do your splits get quicker during the 5k?

• Yep that wasn't in a race just around the local area. Thank you for all the advice, I have been looking on this message board for a few months now and always follow through stories and like to find out how people got on with what had been suggested so I'm sure a few of you are the same. So for those who are interested I did the 3x 1 mile reps tonight, I found it really enjoyable but tiring after the third! After a good warm up I set off, unfortunately I don't think I got the pacing quite right and perhaps went quicker than what had been suggested as optimum training pace, on a positive note each mile was quicker than the previous (even ended with a mile PB which was pleasing and surprising!) and my recovery periods were nicely timed. I am going to incorporate these into my weekly routine, perhaps include some 800m reps with shorter recovery periods. 

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

I wouldn't do mile reps all the time - I would vary it so one session you do miles, then maybe 800 metres, 400 metres etc - a proper schedule may be a good idea as that will give you various speed sessions and will include hills/fartlek - the key with whatever session you do is to make it challenging but not so fast that you can't do all the reps at a similar pace - if you start to slow down towards the end or can't complete the session then you have gone off to quickly.

• Jack19stags wrote (see)

Yep that wasn't in a race just around the local area. Thank you for all the advice, I have been looking on this message board for a few months now and always follow through stories and like to find out how people got on with what had been suggested so I'm sure a few of you are the same. So for those who are interested I did the 3x 1 mile reps tonight, I found it really enjoyable but tiring after the third! After a good warm up I set off, unfortunately I don't think I got the pacing quite right and perhaps went quicker than what had been suggested as optimum training pace, on a positive note each mile was quicker than the previous (even ended with a mile PB which was pleasing and surprising!) and my recovery periods were nicely timed. I am going to incorporate these into my weekly routine, perhaps include some 800m reps with shorter recovery periods. 

So how fast did you actually do the three mile reps? And what recovery did you use?

• I did the first mile in 5:32, the second in 5:28 and third in 5:13 (PB). I used approximately 90-120secs recovery time which was a very slow jog just to prevent blood from pooling. I definitely think I did them too qumentor hopefully given more practice I will pace them better image 

• image - WOW - I don't know what qumentor is but I need to start doing my training that way! Mid 5s for mile intervals off 25 miles per week and no structure - you should be racing.

PS Jack - have you changed your forum name or is this a really bad bug in the system??

Jack Roffe wrote (see)

Over the past year I have started running more regularly avergaing around 25 miles per week - with no specific plan or goals just running. I have done longer runs, intervals, slow runs and shorter runs and am now interested in doing some 1 mile reps to add some more variety.

• I wish I had more structure to be honest, I just do whatever I fancy, might have to sit down and come up with a rigid plan then! No I haven't changed my name just my display name for the forum as I have only just joined and didn't know how to display what initially - if that makes sense.

• Yep, excellent rep times there!

Are you measuring them with a smart phone strapped to you with a timing satellite app or on a measured track?

• I was expecting that question and in response I have to say kind of both. I am using a GPS app on my phone which is strapped to my arm, however for this particular run it was along a stretch of road that I have callibrated in my car so I know exactly where the 1 mile point is according to a car which actually corresponds exactly to when the app records 1 mile. Do people not recommend using apps generally? I have run with someone who had a Garmin GPS watch and after a 6-8 mile run the difference has never been further apart than 0.05? But I have considered getting a watch

• So have you ever raced before if not why? I have been running casually for about 7 years now but only started to take it more seriously last september, joined a club and started racing. Its the best thing i have ever done, enjoying my running so much more and am a much better runner for it. When i look back at my training now i just did what i wanted like you but was certainly no where near those times.

One final question this isnt a wind up is it as some of your answers do seem a little too good to be true, your not a fat teenager sat bored in his bedroom? Apologies if your genuine image

• swift training indeed Jack. Can I ask how old you are? You need to get into a parkrun or another properly organised race and we can alst cyber stalk you! Good luck with your Speed work. A 5.13 mile casually thrown in at the end of your first structured speed session is mighty impressive indeed. Unfortunately it will draw some scepticism until backed up by a solid indisputable  race performance! 

• As always, not a believer unless evidence is given

i.e a properly measured race 

• You lot are always so sceptical. I believe it. It's fast, but not that fast.

• Tbh if he'd have posted the times first I wouldn't have bothered to respond. too many bullshit threads on here recently.

• Unfortunately I expected these more recent posts having stalked the forum myself for the last few months and coming across individuals claiming times without evidence. I didn't post times because I came on looking for some advice, looking to see how I should be doing my reps, surprisingly I have better things to do than come on here to make up stories about race times but I accept that without the evidence people will be sceptical. As I said I wasn't coming on here to tell people what I had ran I just wanted advice on how best to do mile reps - and I apologise for potentially being another story teller.

For these who have have asked a couple of questions, I have just turned 24, to date I have not ran a single race as its something that has only become more serious recently, as mentioned in an earlier post I play a lot of tennis and football running has just hobby something alongside those. I am on here for advice to help me develop my running ability - I have no intention of stating times unless its specifically asked for to guide running splits etc.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

You should believe those times as they’re true, I know this because I know Jack and know how quick he is (as he’s torn my legs off on training runs before image). Not that you have any reason to believe me either as I’m just another name on a forum but it’s up to you.

I will try and get him to come to parkrun with me but even if he does and 'proves it' I’m sure there will be people who say there’s no way he can do those times of such limited mileage or he must have run competitively previously etc so really what’s the point? Either you believe it or you don’t, all he was asking for was advice on how to calculate the pace to run mile intervals not tell everyone how quick he is.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

Jack - mile reps are a very versatile training distance and a good choice to include in a wider structured programme (as grendel says, i wouldn't do them week in and week out though).

the mile is a distance that is short enough to be ran quickly to build speed or long enough that you can use it to work on building stamina.

If you want to build speed, run 2 - 3 x 1mile reps at around 5k pace and have longer recoveries (2 - 4 min recoveries)

If you want to work on building your stamina (or speed endurance), increase the reps to between 2 - 6 x 1mile and run them at your threshold pace with shorter recoveries (60 - 90 secs). traditionally you build speed endurance through longer tempo running but mile reps are a good way of getting the same result with less fatigue.

• I think the simple answer is to get down to a club where there are plenty of people who can guide him face to face. Internet advice is no substitute 

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

But what if he doesn't want to run at a club and just wants to train by himself in his own time? Surley the point of these forums is to share knowledge and training ideas?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I think he would get more specific advice at a club due to his obvious talent.

I could share with him what I do but he is much faster and doing less than half my mileage. I'd imagine he is faster than the majority of people on here as well.

A club will probably have a number of sub 18 runners to get info off.

Ps. I'm not a member of a club.
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Fair enough. However, look at Johnas' advice - can't get much more specific than that, which I reckon is taken from Daniels' running formula.

All I'm trying to say is, whilst being a member of a running club and entering races may suit some people it's not for everyone. It seems that the stock answer to most people's questions on here are i) join a club and ii) do a parkrun. When sometimes people just want to run for the love of running and try and beat their own course 'PB's' and are looking for different training methods/techniques etc to enable them to do so.

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

clearly the fact I've offered advice relevant to the question, am a sub 17 min 5k/sub 2.45 marathoner,  a leader in running fitness, coach on behalf of my club and am currently completing my coaching certficate from UKA has no relevance because it's 'on the internets'