ironman-lanzarote

I am doing Lanzarote 2014 and thought it might be prudent to seek a bit of advice from those who have been there done thatand got the T shirt.  Anything would be appreciated from peopltho accommodation experiences to training for that bike course.  I have been out on a race recce it looks severe to say the least.  Any advice welcome.  Is anyone else heading out that way?

Comments

• We stayed here last year, cheap and very friendly staff, run by British people.

Its in Puerto Del Carmen which is a better base than La Santa, race starts and finishes in PDC (Club Oceano is 400 yards from transition) and saves you travelling far to rack but does mean you need to bus/car to La Santa to register

http://www.oceanclubholidays.com/site/pages/ui_home.aspx

Get used to riding long long hills into the wind, prepare your mind for a tough day on the bike course, it takes a lot of mental strength to push on if youre having a bad day.

• Have a look at the last 10 pages of this thread for all our race reports this year, no doubt useful information and inspiration?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/triathlon/ironman-lanzarote-2013-3rd-weekend-in-may/186653-147.html

• Echoing what Barley has already said.

Ride up as many hills as you can find between now and May, and get mentally strong. It is a tough course where the elements can hurt you much more than the terrain but the experience is so rewarding.

Try and get there a few days beforehand to acclimatise and swim the course.

Hiring a car for a day to go register and maybe drive the course isn't a bad idea, I was glad that I saw the course beforehand as I knew in my head on race day where to hold back and where to open up on the descents.

Pack your dancing shoes for Routa 66 for the after race party image

Good Luck

• Another vote for practising long drag hills from me.  It really did feel that for IMLanza, it was all about the bike. 

Also echo what IH said about driving the course.  Demot drove a few of us over to La Santa and gave us some hints and tips on the course which really helped.  Like some of the downhills are quite demoralising because the head wind is so strong (think around mile 30?).  And from 50-72 you'll do about 10 mph!  But then you get a fantastic 10 mile down hill.  Yes, knowing what's coming up really helps.

If you stay at the Ocean club apartments there's a lovely bike shop just round the corner image

• Pacing is key, and what the course is like depends which way the wind is blowing.

The first year I did it the wind was from the South which made the last 50k one long slog, this year it was from the North East which meant the two main hills Haria and Mirrador were really hard drags, I hardly noticed the last hill on the profile below as the wind was on my back.

http://www.zenhiking.com/08-05-16-31%20lanzarote%20and%20germany/lanzarote/bikecourse-med.jpg

Re pacing, as Coach Gordo says "leave your ego at the door" at least till you get to Fire Mountain at 40k, youll see people out of the saddle honking up the first hill, let them go, if you pace it well, youll pass them all over the later climbs.

• "Sit and Spin" was my mantra on the bike.

• But dont' forget to admire the view! 

• As Symes pointed out, only 56 miles were uphill image

And I would have admired the view, but someone's fat arse was in the way image

• If (like me) your descending skills are weak or non-existant then now is the time to start practicing.  I'd also have a long think about going over early in the year for a training camp.  You'll potentially swerve some rubbish UK weather and it's an opportunity to experience the wind (unlike anything I've enountered in the UK).

I'd also recommend doing the hire car thing, PdC is a little one dimensional and if you wanted to do museums they are all not in PdC.

• There are museums?

Would that be the cactus museam?  I leant on some TV programme the other week that nearly all red food colouring (girls you even wear it on your lips), comes from bugs scraped from cactuses ("I" whatever) in Lanza, after tourism its one of their main industries.

• Didn't Schmunk's find a Pirate Museum??

• Barley, every cook worth their salt knows cochineal red food colouring comes from bugs!

• Rafiki wrote (see)

As Symes pointed out, only 56 miles were uphill image

And I would have admired the view, but someone's fat arse was in the way image

Well that couldn't have been mine then cos you overtook me in the first 10 miles.  So there. image

• Zakalwe-Outlaw wrote (see)

I am doing Lanzarote 2014 and thought it might be prudent to seek a bit of advice from those who have been there done thatand got the T shirt.  Anything would be appreciated from peopltho accommodation experiences to training for that bike course.  I have been out on a race recce it looks severe to say the least.  Any advice welcome.  Is anyone else heading out that way?

I'm entered for 2014 too Z-O, and having read some of these comments I'm beginning to wonder if I should have chosen somewhere nice and flat (and non-windy) instead...

• Pudge, IML is a toughie but totally worth it. image

• Pingu and I, maybe a couple of others posted our bike times for Outlaw, Lanza and Wales on another thread a few weeks ago.

Wales and Lanza were roughly 50-80 minutes slower than Outlaw, my bike difference was higher than Pingu's which is pretty much down to me being a heavy rider and thus suffering more on the hills.

Lanza is quite achieveable for anyone, you just need to train a little bit harder for the bike.  Dont forget its a 17 hour cut-off, if your swim and running is ok youve got 9+ hours to do the bike.

• Guys, that is massively helpful many thanks.  I looked at the accommodation in PDC and that seems like a really good start, was really stunned by the winds there and appreciate the comments ref hill legs.  FF I am a coward on the down hills so will definitely work on that one.

Pudge, when are you heading out, I am thinking the Wed/Thurs of the week before.

After this I am going to find a nice FLAT race, unfortunately Roth sold out whilst I was entering the card details... gutted.

Points taken about ego and spinning as well.  Many thanks

• Ah, I know Pingu - I'm just being a whiny bitch for the sake of it - I am mega looking forward to it.  At the end of the day, they're all tough in their own way I'm sure.  At least Lanza should have some nice scenery, like you say.

Barlos - oddly enough, it's actually the swim that terrifies me the most.  Right now, I can't comprehend being able to do the distance!

Zakalwe - I am flying out on the Thursday before the race (i.e. two days before).  It's going to be a bit manic I reckon.  I think we arrive late Thursday night, so I've basically got to build my bike etc as soon as we get to the hotel, then spend Friday rushing about registering, racking and shittin' it about race day. image

• Im sure youre doing it already but get some 1:2:1 lessons and keep having them until youre sorted, if your local pool has a swim club or swimfit join, similarly if youre local tri club has swim sessions.

Its not just about completing the distance, getting out feeling relatively fresh in a reasonable time can make a big difference to your mindset. 

Once youre stroke is fixed get some neoprene gloves, hat, booties and try some sea swimming in March/April.

Don't despair, you will make it if you put the effort in.  Swimming is a funny old game, you don't always see immediate results from hard work like you do running & cycling, swimming usually improves in steps as things suddenly click into place.

• Thanks Barlos.  I do go to a weekly OW structured session, so I'm sure it'll start paying off eventually.

I have also now enlisted the help of a certain wonder-swimmer as one of my mentors, so I'm sure she'll kick my arris into shape before too long!

• Pudge, registration closes about mid-day on Friday so you'll need to have your skates on.  Taxi from PdC to Club La Santa was about 30 EUR so it would have been cheaper to hire a car for the day.

There are several museums in Lanza, but seemingly none explaining the history of the island.

• FerrousFerret wrote (see)

Pudge, registration closes about mid-day on Friday so you'll need to have your skates on.  Taxi from PdC to Club La Santa was about 30 EUR so it would have been cheaper to hire a car for the day.

There are several museums in Lanza, but seemingly none explaining the history of the island.

Thanks for that FF.  I think I will be hiring a car for a week or so anyway, to visit the rest of the island with the wife and kids once IM is out of the way.  

Any idea about racking bikes etc?  Can that be done later in the day?  That shouldn't be as much of a hassle as we are staying in PdC anyway.

I knew I should have taken the flight at the start of the week!

• From what I remember transition didn't close until 6-ish (maybe a wee bit later), having just checked back yes 6 was official close but I remember sitting in a bar overlooking the transition area and there were still plenty of folk in there 'after hours'.  

• I was just about to say it was definitely open later as we were sat having supper?

I certainly wouldnt bank on being able to get in after hours tho

• M...eldy wrote (see)

I was just about to say it was definitely open later as we were sat having supper?

M...eldy wrote (see)

I was just about to say it was definitely open later as we were sat having supper?

No need, ill be tucked up in bed by then, getting a good nights kip!

• im lanza 2013 - 5:50.  2500m climbing and a typical NE wind, (ie strong as fuck!!)

Outlaw 2013 - 5:07 - no climbing, no wind

I hopw hat puts it into perspective image

enjoy

• Ok so looking at the "squad average" look to add a further 40 - 50 mins on your bike time from Outlaw, depending on conditions on the day. 

Did anyone do any clever bike stuff, changing gear ratios or anything?  If so did it make a different or is it really just a case of grizzing it out?

Really looking forward to this one.

• Outlaw I think was 7.15

Lanzarote was 8.55

I am def at the slower end of the biking spectrum but it gives you a view nonetheless

• Just bought Holgs' s 2nd book as one of my holiday reads while I was in Waterstones and noticed that it seems to be all about Lanza, so looking forward to getting stuck into that while on my sunbed next week!