Running and mental health

How has running impacted on your mental health?

Following the road to happiness feature in the June issue, we want to hear your stories.

Comments

• One of the best therapies I have tried. At first it was cheaper too, but given that I now own several pairs of running shoes, a wardrobe of running clothes and end up doing some form of race at least once a month it's a new habit I have to fund!

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Agree it has kept me sane a few times over the years and continues to be the only me time I get.

• I've never really had an issue, and running keeps me relaxed, so I guess it must help.

• Running definitely keeps me sane and is the only time I truly get to switch off from the noise of day to day crap.

• I feel better while I'm running, but other times no noticeable difference. I do need to be careful not to over do it as that will make me feel worse. Suffering from serious depression/anxiety on and off for 25 years.

• It's driving me insane not being able to run - it's been a very long time now! Not quite sure that was what you wanted though!

• You know Annie, if you'd gone to the running and mental health thread started by RW forumites with mental health issues, to support each other instead of sell copies, you would have found a wealth of really useful, insightful, interesting and genuine answers.

It's called research, and a very sad indictment of the RW towers team that they either didn't know it was there, or didn't think to tap that truly genuine vein (with appropriate consultation of course, created by dedicated and consistent posters.

My guess is this comment won't feature in print. 

• Ive had somewhat of a breakdown in the last few months. it seemed like my whole life had fell apart. ive started running 2/3 times a week now as a way to take a break from feeling miserable/angry and as a way of setting myself challenges and feeling good about myself. I think all types of exercise have a great effect upon the mind, whether it just people feeling low, or those like myself who suffer from depression and find it difficult to 'bring themselves out' of the massive ravine they find themselves in.

• I was on various different SSRI's for 9 years to treat panic & anxiety, started running and it all went away after a few months, the single best thing I have ever done for myself.  Injured now so very very down!

• Well said Crazy Diamond.

Annie, have you wondered why it is that so many people seem to make their first post on a thread that a member of the RW team has started?

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    REI78 wrote (see)

Ive had somewhat of a breakdown in the last few months. it seemed like my whole life had fell apart. ive started running 2/3 times a week now as a way to take a break from feeling miserable/angry and as a way of setting myself challenges and feeling good about myself. I think all types of exercise have a great effect upon the mind, whether it just people feeling low, or those like myself who suffer from depression and find it difficult to 'bring themselves out' of the massive ravine they find themselves in.

Going for a run can be great to clear the head, but it can be dangerous to think running alone can sort out mental wellbeing. The consequences of a minor injury could set you back weeks. Likewise, depending on your issues, becoming massively obsessed can be damaging to yourself and those around you. I've had to pull myself back in line on a couple of occassions since taking up running last year. Running is a great thing, but I'll never be the evangelist who sees it as the cure all activity.

• DEPRESSION

It’s a “chemical imbalance” they say –

I shouldn’t be feeling this way –

So what should I do? Pop a pill or two?

Will that keep my demons at bay?