Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Ric's points are of course valid in a general sense.

However, I am marathon training, so the whole point is to stimulate adaptations by repeated training stresses.  Running a 10K off a high mileage week fits in with that, as long as it is not something that you do as part of your regular training throughout the year.  The P&D plan I'm following includes several tune up races, and in fact I'll probably run less of them than the schedule suggests.  I'll only be running a few peak weeks over 80, and last week was one of them.  I would usually reduce my mileage in a race week, but as I say, marathon training is a different kettle of fish.  In any case, it worked out at 5:31-32 pace, which is actually the faster end of tempo pace, and actually the plan prescribed a 6 mile tempo session this week.  What a happy coincidence.

• 2.26 miles into work today is a quick 12:34 - wanted to run faster than I have all week and did ok - legs not so bad after yesterday but didnt want to do my longer route with long week ahead-- working through with no day off until next friday and Weekends are always a b**** - will do my 5 miler into work tomorrow though...

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Well done Stevie See!! I'm impressed with that time over a hilly course. You deserved the pie!  You doing Warford on sun? I may do the sale sizzler next Thursday, then moving house to Penrith, followed by hols.. All go here. 

Dachs.. 2nd is still 2nd. If you're upset with that time, it shows how good you are and what your standards are. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

The high mileage will certainly have had an effect Dachs. Series win, a 34.xx off the back of plenty of miles and I'd say things were sitting very well. 

Nice running too Stevie, I broke 5 mile race virginity tonight and really enjoyed the distance. 

Scott, that's a cracking tework run to work. I'm not sure my day would be that productive after that though! When I work away I've to squeeze the runs in a before and after a 12 hour shift. Can be a right pain!

i did a low key 5 mile race tonight, a sort of out and back with a bit stuck on the end, which just so happened to be a bloody decent hill. :-/ I decided to run it hard and to see what I could run. First two miles are up a cycle path which is a slight incline. I put a good 40/50 metres between me and second after the first mile and then just tried to keep pushing up the path to increase the gap. Then after a loop at the top which did have another little leg burner of a climb it was back down the path Before a long flat stretch then into the hill. 

Finished with a big push up to the finish and clocked 26.39. Exactly 5 miles on my garmin but Not PO10 unfortunately. Second place ran 29.30 so nearly 3 mins clear. earned myself a bottle of whiskey and a nice glass trophy. Not a bad start to the weekend. 

• Matt, that's a brilliant result and a super speedy 5 mile time! You are where I will aim to be over the next year or so. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Tim, there's certainly no reason  why you can't keep knocking your times down given your training paces etc. 

bit early/late post due to night feeding duties. I'm not ready for one of Rics early runs just yet.image

good luck to anyone racing or knocking out them looooong runs this weekend. A day on the ale beckons today watching the mighty clarets away to Sheffield Wednesday. 

• 5.13 m into work for me with increased pace- nice to push on abit but did feel it.. ran 29:27 which is 5:45m/m pace image...

Worked 9 hours then ran home 2.26m in a slower 13:31 pace legs feeling it..

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

mattl, well done. Any 5 miler in the 26's is a result. Its the sort of level that will get you in the frame at almost any road race.

Seems your 'little one' has had the same effect as mine did. Of enhancing your running. 

My 'little one' is now taller than me. At 17 years of age he suggests, "its best that he should follow me today on a bike", while I attempt a near 20 miler.

Genuine concern. 

A box of his favourite lindt Lindors will be coming his way. 

🙂

• I need to get #4 good enough on a bike to tail me for the 20 milers this winter. Worst bit is that the paths I like the best are really not suitable for a 20 mile bike ride: towpath has a lot of stiles and gates and gets very muddy. Windsor Great Park is nice for a 20 mile on good patsh but it is a long haul there and back, Phoenix Trail is nice but really there is only 5 miles so it is an out and back and repat which is a mental killer.

Any ideas nearer to home (local guys)?

• Great Warford 10 mile this morning.

woke up a little worried as my legs were so still from weights during the week. Achilles very stiff and struggled to walk my first few steps.

There were a few from the club running, so I had my eye on who I could use for pacing. Started off steady, 5:30 for first mile then settled down into an even pace.

It was a great course, 1 2 mile lap and 2 4 mile laps of Venice undulating countryside. The undulations helped as broke the stride and bounded down the hills.

Was surprised to go though 10k in under 36 mins.n my PB is 36:2x!

Kept with my pacer all the way, a very even paced run.. Took runners in the last few miles and ended with a sprint finish against a young lad.. He fell over..just after the line..didnt beat him as too much instance to cover but felt extremely good for the last 150 metres.

Finished in 14th place, 58:14. Happy as a new distance for me and gives me an idea of what I can do for my half marathon in a few weeks. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Wel done Tim. I was there watching, or rather running in the opposite direction, wearing a bright blue Sale 5 t-shirt: were you in a W... vest, sporting a beard? You seemed to be pretty strong, so bodes well for your half, particularly as I would consider it to be a tough course today...worth 90 secs to 2 minutes I would estimate. Enjoy your bottle of beer!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hi Alehouse!! Yep, that's me! Giving the beer away as don't drink, but I'm sure it'll be appreciated. It was a great course. 

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Yes...great course Tim, but not one for PBs!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Great Warford 10 mile this morning.

woke up a little worried as my legs were so still from weights during the week. Achilles very stiff and struggled to walk my first few steps.

There were a few from the club running, so I had my eye on who I could use for pacing. Started off steady, 5:30 for first mile then settled down into an even pace.

It was a great course, 1 2 mile lap and 2 4 mile laps of Venice undulating countryside. The undulations helped as broke the stride and bounded down the hills.

Was surprised to go though 10k in under 36 mins.n my PB is 36:2x!

Kept with my pacer all the way, a very even paced run.. Took runners in the last few miles and ended with a sprint finish against a young lad.. He fell over..just after the line..didnt beat him as too much instance to cover but felt extremely good for the last 150 metres.

Finished in 14th place, 58:14. Happy as a new distance for me and gives me an idea of what I can do for my half marathon in a few weeks. 

Hehe... Not Venice, obviously!! Jobs strikes again!

alehouse.. I thought it seemed pretty fast so you've made me feel even better! Thanks! Didnt you fancy running? 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Well the 'near' 20 miler was just that, only nearer to 21 miles. 

With my lad carrying the supplies I was able to keep topped up. Just as well, my calculations indicate I dropped 7lb's in weight.

No damage at all though. I was fully loaded before setting out and drank 500mls every 5 miles, tuna bagel at 10 miles also.

Average pace 7:35 min mls, despite being at conversational effort and nearly 1000ft of climbs.

The large box of 'Lindors' are in the fridge awaiting his attentions.

Phil, when my lad was smaller he couldn't quite manage the up hills, so the deal was I pushed him when it became too much for him. Didn't appear to reciprocate when coming down I noticed.

🙂

• 2 X 2.26 Mile run today. One into work then run home.. 12:57 and 13:01 . 5:45M/M ish pace

• Great running Tim, never done that race but I know it's not quick. Looking good for the HM on the horizon.

Ric, sounds like an epic long run. Still scrambles my head how you can eat a tuna bagel mid run!

3 days off for me due to a wedding and having a bit of a sore glute. Start back tomorrow and a mid week 5000 track race on Wed, but with no taper.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Ss, I actually stopped on this occasion to eat and drink. One reason was that all the gear was in a rucksack on my lads back.

I can eat and run at the same time but deem such antics unnecessary during a training run.

🙂

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Tim: would have loved to run but that in fact was the furthest I've run for almost two years (the 4 mile lap)! Achilles op last October following almost a year of almost no running, then treatment for prostate cancer in Feb of this year. Gradually getting back to it and being very cautious. Sale Sizzler on Thursday? Won't be quite as warm as the last one. I'll be marshalling as usual.

• Evening all. Had some time away camping with the family, then away with work (took family with me; stress). Trying to get back in to the swing of things, but would much rather be out there doing it than posting about it!

I've now been back running 5 weeks albeit slowly. The heady heights of 27km/week now; hold mileage for 3 weeks then raise 1 mile per run day. Pfitzinger's suggestion I think. Hope to be back at the track late Sep/early Oct.

Yesterday's parkrun was Frimley Lodge parkrun for an easy 20:46 (told you I was going slowly. Really don't want an Achilles flare up). 51st across the line. Have visited Margate parkrun a few times of late. That time would have got me 3rd place. Such a small field for a sprting course.

Bus - sorry to hear.

Dachs - good effort for the Yately series. I was hoping to run at least 1 this year but injuries put pay to that.

Dean - how is the Achilles? I have found that a few weeks off running combined with eccentric heel drops (120/day) are the way forwards.

Alehouse - can you share more about your Achilles injury and rehabilitation?

Some epic runs happening out there Ric.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It seems the injury bug has bitten me this weekend. Went for a run yesterday and after a few miles I felt a sort of knot in my calf. tried the foam roller on it last night and booked in to see a physio tonight. Hopefully a few days off will see it off. Not hopeful though with capenhurst 5k next week. 

• Alehouse-that sounds like a rough journey. Hope you're getting back on track.

I may do the sizzler. 

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

mattl, not always an injury despite the feeling.

Its almost certainly an after effect from your last race. To elaborate.

Imagine under race effort all the muscles being opened up by increased circulation. When you stop, everything closes up again. Sometimes things get stuck. 

A day or two later as you start running faster, these 'stuck' bits suddenly 'ping' themselves undone. There's some fluid pooling and a feeling of a pull.

Hydration and normal stretching usually sorts these things out in a couple of days.

One way to avoid this happening is after a race, fill up with fluid and conduct a warm down that gets close to race speed. 

🙂

• Delurks again.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Any ideas nearer to home (local guys)?

Grand Union Canal?

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

so much has gone on since I last posted, I dont know where to start so will just welcome all the new posters. Seems the old guard are having some good racing, good to hear Iron slowly getting back, sorry to hear your family news Bus and that it looks like Abo is off, good training from Ric & Dachs, great racing from Tim, Matt and Dean as usual, welcome back to the UK PMJ, good luck back at the track SS and tidy 5 miler, and last but not least, good win yesterday SG (I know you're out there - hopefully getting back to fitness).

work been manic here plus back into 70-75 mile weeks for Frankfurt in October. Have dealt with the increased mileage well and doing lots of tempo stuff.

Also found out that the wife is expecting - due a month before my Champs start at VLM 14 so hope you're right Ric about the improvement to running with a wee bairn on the scene!

• Congratulations Johnas (& to Mrs Johnas). That's much more exciting than running. And just think - in a few years you can start training the kid up to follow you on a bike with snacks.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Congratulations Johnas! You may need to get used to lack of sleep before VLM!

I've not written Abo off totally just yet, but will certainly have to re-appraise the original target time of sub 2:50 (which was supposed to be my marathon swansong!). I managed a 15 and an 11 last week, but a long way off where I need to be. Oddly, the legs felt a fair bit better the day after the 15! Two weeks in france from Saturday, so will see if I can get some proper long runs in and make a decision then.

Iron - sounds like a good way to build back up.

Philip - sorry, I can't think of any obvious long routes for a cycle follower, that don't involve some fairly technical off-road, unless you do it all on road, and even then hills could be an issue, as could traffic in some places. We should get togtehr for some long runs in Sept if Abo is back on....

Alehouse - sounds like you've been through a real rough time of it, but hopefully are coming out the other side.

• bus, let me know what your plans are for September. I am still thinking of a slow jog round the Chiltern marathon on Sunday 8th September. At the moment I am back from France on Sunday Sep 1 and my only bookign is Swallowfield 10 on Sep 22nd and maybe a track 10,000 on Sep 4th.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

Nothing in the diary for me except Abo, but may well do the Ridgeway the week before and the Wooburn 10k on 8th Sept. I'm also in France until the 1st Sept. Whereabouts are you going? What's the track 10,000?

10k for me today, with 2x2M at HM pace with 2 mins rec between. Came out as 5:56, 5:48, 6:04 (uphill + headwind = retch!), 5:54. Not too bad considering (but I wouldn't have fancied a 3rd set, whihc is what I'd intended). Left hamstring and lower back are a bit sore now, but not as bad as it would have been with the same session the last couple of weeks.

• Congrats to the family Johnas. Nice one.

7 lumpy km in the Welsh hills. No heel raiser in the shoe either. See how tomorrow feels...

Good session Bus.