right to do what?

RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Russian pole vaulter Yelena Isinbayeva criticises World Championships athletes who painted their nails to support gay rights.

Ok, so she lives in a country where 71% of people declared that homo-sexuals should be executed.

An extreme view, but on the basis that someones sexual orientation is a private business, I find the idea of 'gay' parades and all that 'I'm gay' in your face stuff a bit off putting.

Some people are footballers, some are runners, some play golf or collect stamps. Some people make their pastime 'being gay'?

Is that the problem when 'gays' feel they are being persecuted?

🙂

Comments

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Oh lord. Really? 

• Perhaps you should ask some gay people instead of making assumptions about them.

Being gay as a "pastime" - Jeez image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Screamapillar.

Once again you're jumping in with your usual, "I know what you are thinking".

You don't.

There are gay people who simply go about their everyday lives like most other people, doing normal things, keeping themselves to themselves.

Then there's that other type. The sort who at a 'tell us something about yourself', situation, simply stands up, states their name and without pausing for breath declares,'and I'm gay'.

Well I'm hetrosexual but I don't add that as a suffix when introducing myself. 

I accept that gay people exist. I don't mind what they do.

I just don't want it rammed down my throat thanks.

🙂

• And I'll say what I said last time. Why do you feel the need to say anything at all?

Gay people aren't hurting you whether they're being out and proud or keeping it to themselves so why should it bother you so much that you feel the need to air your opinions about it on here?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Screamapillar wrote (see)

And I'll say what I said last time. Why do you feel the need to say anything at all?

Gay people aren't hurting you whether they're being out and proud or keeping it to themselves so why should it bother you so much that you feel the need to air your opinions about it on here?

Daily need for an argument Screamy?image

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

RicF - I'm gay. I'm very open about it. I stand up and say I'm gay. Want to know why? Because this is heterosexual world, you don't need to come out as heterosexual. I wish I didn'tneed to come out as gay. But given that that the majority of people assume I'm heterosexual when I meet them, I am constantly correcting them when they assume wrong.  In an ideal world we wouldn't need to 'push our gayness' in your face and we could just 'go about our business'.

But have a little think about it will you? Can you hold your partners hand in the street without anyone giving you a second glance/shouting verbal abuse at you/threatening you with violence? Did you risk losing your family because of who you are (my sister didn't speak to me for 2 years because I'm a lesbian)? Have you always had your relationship legally recognised? Are you able to talk about your partner at work without fear ofdiscrimination? 

Being gay in britain, despite  the homophobia or ignorance that exists, is bloody luckycompared to other countries. Russia - what's happening there is shocking. Uganda. How many countries do you get executed in for being heterosexual? Until there are no countries where you can get executed for being gay, I will ALWAYS push my sexuality in your face and everyone's face.

• RicF, I think you're also missing the point of 'gay pride' or other pride movements a bit too. It's not about pushing something in your face for the sake of it. It's because of all the things kaffeeg said - basically, it's a reaction to the idea that being gay is something to be ashamed of. Saying that you're 'proud' of something that's innate doesn't make very much sense, as I think you're trying to point out. That is also what 'pride' movements are saying: that 'shame' (i.e. not being able to hold your partner's hand in public, having to avoid gendered pronouns so people won't act differently around you) is just as ridiculous. The end goal of pride movements is to get to the point where being gay is so normalised that no-one needs to talk about it at all any more, which is sort of what you're asking for too.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

Screampillar - image

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The end goal of pride movements is to get to the point where being gay is so normalised that no-one needs to talk about it at all any more, which is sort of what you're asking for too.

Exactly.

🙂

• ...which means you see the point of them and we all agree, right? image

• This is like the feminism debate the other day where the idea seemed to be that the cause was somehow best served by feminists shutting up and going away.

It doesn't work like that.

• tell them cyclists ought to pay road tax.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    kittenkat wrote (see)
    literatin wrote (see)

...which means you see the point of them and we all agree, right? image

Damn, it's boring if we all try and agree or find common ground. I'll go back to tri and suggest something universally obnoxious.

Don't worry, I think the reason for not having to talk about gay things is not agreed by ricF and the rest of the sensible world. 

• That's not what I said, I said we have to talk about it now in the hope that one day we won't have to talk about it.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)

That's not what I said, I said we have to talk about it now in the hope that one day we won't have to talk about it.

I know. I think ricF just wants to fast forward to that bit and bugger the (quite important) part in between.  image

• OK, but I have to say that I don't see why they shouldn't - if it irritates you it's your problem - not theirs.

• if all these carpet munchers looked like olivia godfrey off sky sports news i would be a fan.

• Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

They shouldn't because it is a totally irrelevant issue under normnal circumstances, and by doing this gay people are making an issue of sexuality, the very thing they like to complain about. So tell me how does it make sense?

I'm not gay and nor are you, it doesn't have to make sense to either of us, as long as it makes sense to them. I think Kafeeg explained it well enough. 

As she said, there's a natural assumption that people are straight. We don't know what that feels like to a gay person because we are straight. We also don't have the right to tell them how to deal with it.

There are plenty of gay people who are "quiet" about it and happy to be so. If others feel differently they are perfectly within their rights to express it as loudly as they like.