Abingdon Marathon 2013

Comments

• Good luck at Lake Vyrnwy Dr Dan, I was tempted by that one but I'm doing the Warrington half on the 8th instead.

My prediction will follow after I've done that one! I can compare to last years time and see where I'm up to then, so fingers crossed for a bit of speed image

The Great Eastern half will be a good training run RR, race conditions with a medal and t shirt thrown in...... perfect! x

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Well, we have to start somewhere!image

Dr.Dan - 3:29
    rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

No predictions until I've done a couple more 20s and know I'm definitely doing it image. My original target was to try and scrap a sub 2:50 (then retire form marathons image), but that might need to be revised.

Couple of 10ks in September and the Ridgeway 15.5k off-roader the week before (probably), but nothing a bit more of a useful race distance for marathons at the moment unfortunately. I fancy Vyrnwy, but too far to go...

• Got my second 20 miler out the way last Saturday and managed to finish it 1 minute quicker than my previous 20 miler, it was a different route though but I'm happy with how things are going so far.

As for races, I'm contemplating the Bedford 10k on 8th September and the Cardiff HM on 6th October. Cardiff falls nicely as I'm due to do 13 miles that weekend anyway.

Predictions - I'll go for 3:04 (keeping my fingers crossed!)

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Ill predict 2.58. Hopefully I can find the speed I had in April.

Although I haven't run a step since Sundays 50k.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Millsy1977 - 2:58
    Jamie F - 3:04
    Dr.Dan - 3:29

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I twisted my ankle dodging a dog on the Downs on Saturday and it swelled up to quite a size, so I missed Sundays LSR, but although tender I am back running this week.

Over the next few weeks I have Winchcombe 10k Hill Climb, a couple of 5ks and Folkestone HM at the end of Sept. 

My plan is the same as The Bus, sub 2.50 and retire, so I hope that you recover so we can form a train.

Keir - 2.48

Millsy1977 - 2:58
    Jamie F - 3:04
    Dr.Dan - 3:29

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Looking good image

Abingdon Marathon pre-races

September
    8th - Warrington HM, Hissy fit
    8th - Beford 10K, James F
    15th - Lake Vynwy HM, Dr.Dan
    29th - 10K trail race, rosie rr
    29th - Horsforth 10K, Dr.Dan
    29th - Folkestone HM, Keir

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr
    13th - Ridgeway 15.5K off-roader, The Bus

Abingdon Marathon Predicited Times

Keir

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• I have no races planned for September but the south Cheshire 20 looks very interesting. Where is it dr dan and what is the course profile like? I'll be doithey 10k the Sunday before abo, more as a sharpener than anything else. 

Prediction wise I'll put myself on the line and say 2:42 image

• Nonstick - I hope things are improving for you. Thanks for your timely reminder - I've had a few issues with the transverse arch in my right foot and when I checked my dates I saw that my trainers were due for a change. After just a couple of runs in the new ones things are already improving - if I do manage to get sub-5 this time out, it'll be thanks to you!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

It's at Crewe Martin ... I don't know much about it as I'd already booked in Vynwry before I heard about it ... http://www.southcheshireharriers.org.uk/clubraces/20m/20m_main.php

September

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Keir - 2.48

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Forgot a race, please could you add Kent coastal marathon on 1st sept DR D?

• NonstickNonstick ✭✭✭

No problem BadgerBoy, I tend to learn from mistakes so if my mistakes help someone else out then great although can't be many for me to make now. If I do have to drop out though, I will be back next year.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Keir - a pre-marathon marathon! And you forgot about it? imageimage

September
    1st - Kent coastal marathon, Keir

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr

Keir - 2.48

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• Dr Dan

im not back from holiday till early that morning so I better give it a swerve. 

Flintshire 10k 13th October

my prediction 2:42

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thanks Dr. D. But don't worry, I will be running at PMP + 60sec the whole way. 

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

September
    1st - Kent coastal marathon, Keir

October
    6th Cardiff HM, James F
    13th - GE HM, rosie rr
    13th - Flintshire 10K, Martin G

Martin G - 2:42
    Keir- 2:48

rosie rr -  later
    Hissy fit - later
    The Bus - later

• Hi Guys

Sorry for jumping on this thread. I have also posted this in the Health /Injury forum too.

My husband and I are currently training for the Abingdon Marathon. We are having problems finding a sports nutritionist. We live near London and have contacted a few but they either are so busy they can't be bothered to reply to our enquiry or maybe they think don't want to take us on!! The reason I say that is because my husband has CLL ( leukaemia)  and so needs to stay fit and healthy as away from illness as much as possible and I wonder if they just dont want to take on the extra responsibility. But there must be someone out there who is not afraid to help him!!!!

If you have any recommendations please pass them on. We would be very grateful of any help.

• marmalade try dropping this guy a line http://www.gavinallinson.com/sports-nutritionist/ and say that "Tom the postie" recomended you to him. If he can't help he may knoe someone who can.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    First longish run, 12 miles, since last weekends 50k and feel ok.

Specific Abingdon training starts on Monday.
  • First race done since this block of seven weeks hard training. Birchwood 10k flat course but a bit of an annoying headwind in places. Went through halfway the flattest but windiest section in 18:00 and finished in 35:34 so a negative split when the course was harder second half indicates the wind slowed me up a bit. 4 seconds off an 18 month pb which was done with a massive tailwind so really happy with how things went. 26 seconds quicker than last year when last year was much better conditions so a good indicator that things are on track. 22nd overall and chicked..........just image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

I did my first Park Run ever yesterday and was fairly satisfied to get 18.08 so I'm impressed with your 10k MG15. What sort of mileage / key sessions have you been doing over the past 7 weeks?

I ran a hilly 22m with 4 progressive fast miles at the end. Legs felt tired after the 5k yesterday. That makes 83m for the week. Looking forward to a relatively easier week now.

• Hmm, some serious speed merchants on here. Following todays challenging half I am going to predict a pretty pedestrian by these standards anyway, fast by mine 3.35 for this one. Will also slot in another half at the end of this month to keep the momentum going.

• Keir

I've always fancied joining the park run bonanza but there's none within a 45 mile radius here so I'm still a virgin unfortunately. Maybe one day! Mileage has been around 65 per week which is a drop from last year but there is more quality there. No was hoping to up the mileage a bit but with my holiday coming up I think that is doubtful. Session wise there has been a couple of interval sessions a long run and a medium long run at MP. All other runs are at easy pace. Always a rest day and up to two doubles. I hired an online coach after Abo last year but have been having problems with my calf and have been unable to have a decent continued spell of decent training until now so it's nice to see she hard work come to fruition. Hopefully I can get through the remaining two months without any issues then its a good stab at Abo. How about yourself? For Abo last year I followed a P&D high mileage one which was good but maybe slightly out of date now. 

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

In the past I have followed something loosely based upon the P&D up to 70mpw programme, but enjoy the process of planning my training so add some tweaks to the spreadsheet. That worked well for my pb at Abo 2 years ago.

This time I've been averaging mid 70s each week (some 60s, some 80s) since June. LSR of 20 - 26 miles each week, usually either unfuelled, with a fast finish or with some PMP bits. The 2nd key session is a progressive MLR where within a 10 - 16m run I will run miles progressively faster starting around 6.50m/m and desending down to 6m/m. I find these sessions particularly hard to complete. I have also included a race (as I cannot push myself by myself) each week - 5k or 10k. The Park Run is a 60m return journey, but is worth it as a occassional thing. Other than that I run every day most weeks, with the shortest run usually being 8m off rd and hilly and sometimes add an MLR of between 12 - 18m with some PMP.

I am in pb shape according to recent untapered 5k and 10ks, but my pre marathon test run will be at a HM at the end of sept.

Edit: Some questions Martin:

What time did you do at Abo last year?

What are you doing differently this time around?

If you are following P&D how is a coach helping you?

• 2:48 at abo last year, 2:46 at London this but with a bad prep. 

More quality I'd say this time round as in intervals Etc I did a lot of medium paced running last time. 

I felt I had taken it as far as I could myself going off books and have enjoyed the input and newer training methods. There's no doubt it's improved me as a runner but thewe is a price to pay I suppose. 

Decent mileage there from you I am pretty tired doing my mid 65's tbf I hope I can get through till October with no niggles because it will be interesting to see the result after a long block. Abo was always my A race this year, everything else was simply a build up to it so all the eggs are going in this basket!

• Are there any slow Abingdon runners around, by slow I mean 4:30-5:00 please?

• I have a number but am unable to run so wondered if anyone knows anyone who would like to take my slot?

Oldshadow Fax, do you still have a waiting list?

Cheers

Murph

• Hi Always Trying - there are a few slow plodders on the forum, but we tend to sit back in awe of the exploits of our faster and probably trimmer friends!

I had been hoping to finally go sub-5 but given the way training is going I'm expecting to struggle to get under 5.30. I may even seek the dubious privilege of coming in last - but in my mind that will just make the final winner, not the worst loserimage.

And anyway, at the risk of repeating myself, any sensible handicapping system (i.e. adjusted for BMI) will mean I'd be challenging for overall winner!

• Thought I'd jump on the bandwagon after reading through the thread. Signed up on the first day and am midway through my training. Can't say I'm enjoying it that much - I usually just run whatever I feel like each day whether that's 10 days in a row, a week off, fast running or slow running. Training means I have to do specific runs. I'm following Hal Higdon's Advanced 2 schedule but with a bit more freedom. Typically longer easy and long runs. 

Going reasonably well so far: completed 19, 21 and 22 mile runs at ~8 m/m. Aiming for 3h05m to get 2015(!) London qualification. No benchmarking races planned, but I am running my local 10k (Enfield Mayor's 10k) on 15 Sep. I'm a 39m 10ker, so that time is definitely a challenge. Damn VLM for changing the GFA times!

PB is... 5h6m30s from the two marathons I've run, but that's a story for another post.