Why Cannondale

In another thread I said Id decided to by a Cannondale (probably R800 road bike now).

I recieved comments like

"Why Cannondale"
"But Cannondale just doesn´t hit my buttons"
"Yeah why Cannondale? You said you wanted a Tri bike, there are many out there that are a lot better for the money"

1) Could someone suggest alternative bike for around £1200 or something as good for less money?

2) Why is my decision to buy Cannondale recieved with some distain?

Im new to cycling/Tri and deceided to buy a Cannondale becasue id heard off them, been told by others that they are good reliable bikes, I like the look of them (not a mahor thing but its importnant to like your bike I guess as it'll encourage me to get out on it.

Comments

• i got a trek for 1200 which is fine... plus a few hundred quid for bars and pedals etc
  • Cannondale are more well known for mountain bikes. I believe that they have only recently entered the road bike market and so have yet to establish themselves. Might explain the negative remarks.

They have an excellant reputation for mountain bikes and there is no reason why this can't be transferred to the road bike market. It will just take time.

If you like cannondale then go for it. After all your the one who will be riding it.
  • Carl - have found out over the years that all too often yu can pay for a name. By far the most important thing is fitness for purpose / sizing. I would say then think about a good set of wheels and then groupset.

Here's a suggestion - give some dealers a bell who are, or have been racing cyclists. Moreover, those who know about time trailing and triathlon. There's a lot about who will ensure that you are fitted correctly on a frame that will do the job. They can, and do help people. Also, if you go to them their mechanics will always help you out.

Some names that come to mind are Brian Rourke and Dave Hinde. People like that have years of experience.

If you are convinced you want a Cannondale, its worthwhile getting it through such a dealer for these reasons.

Oh a biggy - custom paint jobs are nice to look at, but are often expensive and really dont make the thing any faster. Good luck in your quest.
  • I;ve got a R1000 and love it. Is v light, responsive, and have no problems with it. Bought it from Wiggle who were doing a deal.

Good luck
  • Thanks im reassured.

Alan, ill take your advise seriously and will have a ring around. Also agree sizing is important.

The Cannondale im after (R800 maybe R1000) comes with a Optimo frame (same used by the Saeco team) so guess thats pretty good.

Wheels, I guess on a bike of that spec the wheels are good to. Oh and by groupset I guess you mean the gears/cogs? Again I think they are Shimano (ive heard of them to).

Lol paint job, funny you should say that but im connisdering paying an extra £200 for the R1000 as it comes in a nicer colour (plus John Smiths comments are a good referral).

Oh finally I keep reminding myself im only in it for the fun and personal satisfaction not to win anything so cutting edge wont make a great difference (yes a £300 bike would probably do just as good). Makes me laugh to about saving gramms here and there on bike weight, im 14 stone lol.

Im not rushing into my decision, will look around and also check out the dealers and websites some more.
  • You will find deals especially on last years models (i bought 2001 model in 2002) and the spec generally improves each year. I found that by buying last years model R1000 (2002 R800 was same price) i got better spec at same price. THe Cannondale website is a great source of info on what eavh bike has. Be sure to look at the UK/European models though as is different from USA.
  • Aye Carl - NOT going into groupset things on the board as usually its a very personal thing. Shimano and Campag (the two biggest) manufacture excellent products. If looked after, their mid range stuff should last for years.

Groupsets usually comprise of;

Chainset & Bottom Bracket
    Brakes - Calipes / Levers
    Hubs
    Front n Rear Mechs (Gears)
    Cassette (Rear Sprockets)
    Headset
    Chain
    Seatpost
    Pedals

The latter two are usually personal prefs from a wide variety of products. As you get into the sport you will find what suits.
  • Do yourself a big big favour. Buy an Airborne titanium. You'll never regret it.
  • Sorry www.airborne.net is where you'll find them. The dollar exchange rate is brilliant at the moment so you'll get a bargain.

and don't worry about buying a bike over the internet they are a brilliant company. Got mine inside a week by UPS
  • Cycling+ bike of the year.
  • What was the VAT and Duty etc you had to pay to import your bike from the states?

How much did it cost as well?

Thank you
  • I've got a Cannondale R600 which I practically stole from a friend who buys the best of everything then doesn't use it (£250 with LITERALLY 3 miles on the clock) and I love it, it just looks so lovely my heart skips a beat when I walk into the garage and see it hanging there.
  • Quite right Popsider. They really are brilliant bikes.

Salford Rower: You'll be interested to know that if I'd bought the same spec bike in the UK it would have cost me £2,400 ish. The money I saved on the bike allowed me to buy a Concept rower. The bike (its a Lucky Strike MTB) weighs less than 23lbs is XTR throughout with nice wheels etc. Cost £1,500 two years ago but it will last a lifetime and it is a sheer joy to ride. Cycling mates used to tell me how good titanium bikes were and I thought it was hype. It wasn't. Pity I'm so useless on the rower.
  • Sorry Salford Rower forgot to answer your question fully. There is some scam to avoid tax and duty. The bikes are made in the states but mine was assembled in Holland and shipped from there. When they were assembling it the guy even rang me to check if I wanted the new titanium seat pin the'd just intoduced instead of the one on the spec.

I think you can get them in bike shops as well now but don't know what price differences are.
  • Just a thought Carl. Do you know what size frame you need? This is a must. Then what size stem for your reach?? It's very important to get this sorted before mail ordering this type of equipment as good as they may be. Its also easy so no worries.

I always bang on about this cause I used a team bike for a week some years ago in the junior tour of Ireland and it wrecked my season.
  • Who on earth said to buy an 'airbourne'for a racing bike?! Thats like saying Barry Manilow'is a 'bling bling' rapper!
  • Or an Airborne? And the problem is?
  • Ok so i spelt it wrong, it was late for me to be up!
    Having access to many bikes on the market, ive ridden an 'airborne'and this was the flexiest. Its ok as an everyday bike with comfort in mind though as a race bike this is a No!No!
  • Having looked at C+ the airborne they recommend is over 3 grand so probably a different bike. Cannondales do have a reputation as being very stiff but I know a triathlete who got rid of his because it was too harsh - never ridden one myself.
  • At the end of the day everyone has their own opinion and im sure what ever the guy buys he is gonna love it?!

Nice day down here in cornwall. My coat has just floated down a river which was the main road!
  • ...and all that looks nice in a brochure or under the spotlight ain't going to make any difference if it sits in the garage.

Was reading Graeme Obree's book and looking at the machines (before old faithful) he was stuffing the opposition with. Fixed gear and upturned handlebars. Need I say more!
  • No problem Jeff.

As the guy is quite new to racing I reckoned a stiff aluminium bike might be too uncomfortable. Don't know what airborne racing bikes are like but the MTBs are unbeatable.

Alan, Good point there's a lovely Paul Donahue 653 Campag record dream machine sitting in my garage. Rode it three times last year.
  • Thats a good point about stiffness, means nothing to me but ill certainly bear it in mind.

I have more or less decided to stick with a Cannondale, ill maybe ask for a test ride or something.

What exactly are the maon drawbacks of a stiff frame?

Oh, the good news is when I buy the bike and kit etc im taking a mate with me that has done Tri's and Ironman.

A sincere thank you for all your help and interest.
  • Carl, Give any bike a good try first. Some people are happy with aluminium frames but I wouldn't be happy riding one to the paper shop.

Best of luck.

PS I once had a really pimpy racing bike that I built myself and I liked looking at it so much I hung it on the bedroom wall so I could see it when I woke up. The wife wasn't too impressed. Oh, and I didn't ride it for a week cos it was raining and I didn't want to get it wet
  • Thats funny, actually was wondering where to keep mine as shed isnt secure and was thinking of using the hall. Might just get some mountings and keep it on bedroom wall...
  • Same thoughts as the chap who started this tread only on a smaller budget. Considering R500. New to triathlon but know Cannondale through my MTB'ing. Any thoughts on this bike or a bike of the same money (no more maybe slightly less(£500-£700)).
  • my bike is alu but with carbon forks and wheels, which takes out some of the stiffness and works quite well

not sure how long the forks will last though!
  • Check out the 'giant ocr'range. There are also some good deals on last seasons if you are small enough.

Giant road bikes are 'compact' which is a small frame providing ultimate stiffness in a very good price range!

Ive ridden compacts for the last 4 years and have taken one to 2 world 'Duathlon'champs and with access to many other brands i find the 'Giants' are not only more responsive than most, they are light on the wallet.
  • Why keep your bike hidden in the bedroom? Our bikes are kept in the dining room. They are both objects of beauty, so it's not a problem.