P&D Autumn Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Shazmo - hello. That all sounds very hardcore!

acp - fair enough! What you need to do is ship your kids off to Japan for a few weeks.

LT run for me today, 12mi with 7 LT miles. Got a feeling my LT pace will be closer to HMP rather than 10mi pace. Bit wet here this morning, but supposed to dry out today before the next deluge tomorrow.

• Hi Shazmo! Was wondering where some of the people from earlier in the thread had gone. Your racing sounds insane.

My race on Weds was a 5.8 mile undulating affair mostly on trails, which I think is a bit bloody annoying for something calling itself a road racing league. There was one particularly twatty bit where you had to do a slalom zigzag thing up a steep bit of hill. Anyway, I was attempting to race Speedy Goth from over on the sub 3:15 thread as we were both on equal points, but she was just a bit too fast for me in the last 1.5 miles, so we were 2nd and 3rd lady in the race, and 1st (her) and 2nd (me) in the league overall. The silver medal was prettier than the gold one though.

And Phil, looks like I'll almost certainly be joining you on Sunday, so say hi if you see me. I'll be the one in the horrible white vest, swearing at all the hills.

Hope you enjoyed your LT run 15W. Since the pace is meant to be the pace you can race at for an hour, I guess 10 mile pace would be a bit too quick. image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Hello...LT run went ok. Managed the full 7mi at about 6.10 pace, didn't puke or poo myself, so all good.

Well done in your race Lit.

• Lit - if it's any consolation she has got an injury in her leg as a consequence.

• I know. I did suggest to her that it might be a better idea just not to race, but she didn't go for it...

• Good running Lit. Congratulations on the silver medal!image

Parkrun cancelled so I had to make up a route and managed to get an unofficial 5K PB of a few seconds! image Ran there and back to make 8 miles in total. Let's see how my legs feel trying to run 18 miles tomorrow after that!image P&D are just sadists!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Morning all. 8 slow miles this morning. 24 tomorrow. Gulp.

• Afternoon everyone

acp - congrats on the new PB! 

Lit - well done on being second in the league image

Shazmo - thanks for those kind words, very nice of you and Jenny to say! I think she's just won third lady overall, amazing stuff.  Can't imagine racing every day for a week, kudos to you.  I went to our grand prix series presentation do last night and look what happened.......

/members/images/693349/Gallery/1175227_10153120297895082_1704122367_n.jpg

I was just a little bit pleased.........

/members/images/693349/Gallery/1093956_10151554379187201_301741983_o.jpg

May have a slightly sore head this morning but totally worth it image.  The trophy wasn't for being speedy or anything but it was a 'special' prize - you know, for the slow people that try very hard to be fast but don't quite manage it!  Means the world to me though.  Was so choked up when I heard my name announced.  I'll never be at the sharp end of a race like the speedy ones but it's so nice to have your efforts and 'spirit' rewarded image.

Also managed to get in another 20miler before I went to the do so having a guilt-free rest day today.

Good luck with that 24 tomorrow 15W

• Bloody hell, Tiny, look at you with your massive blingy trophies! Well done!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Looking good Tiny. Well done!

Mens marathon in Moscow on at the moment. No British runners.

• ShazmoShazmo ✭✭✭
    Well done Lit - silver is much trendier image And ACP on your PB.

And you too, Tiny, what a fantastic bit of bling, well done you. I'm joining you in the hangover department today. And yes, your club-mate Jenny got 3rd lady. I was 5th....alas, no bling for 5th place image

Day off for me today, thank goodness!
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Kiprotich! What a dude.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Literatin I'll look out for you. I will be in a bright yellow top and black shorts!

Forecast looks ok. Bring it on!

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Good morning. Good luck to all those racing today, or doing their long runs. Soon as the dog settles I am out for a gentle 24mile jog...

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Noone here? Talking to myself again. Just back from 24 in 3hr02. Totally knackered.

• Well done 15w that is impressive

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Thanks Fiona. One thing with running that distance though is the realisation that you are going to have to run further and quite a bit faster on race day. Someone remind me why we do this sh!t again?

Wearing my skins compression tights post run makes it all worth it.

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Belper 30K completed in 2hrs 40mins. By no means a fast time but this was a challenging course and I have never crossed so many squeeze stiles in my life! One was so narrow my trainers got stuck.

Plodded along the first 15K which ended with 5K uphill and then pushed on a bit after that as it was mainly downhill. Found someone else who was also pushing on and together we overtook about 30 people. Is it wrong to enjoy overtaking so much?

Congratulations to Literatin who was the 3rd lady and duly received a prize bag. So much for the slow training run! Was nice to chat with you after the race.

Well done 15W on your long run. Time to enjoy the reward (stuffing yourself!)

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

Well done Phil and Lit...

• I wasn't actually third lady, was fourth overall, but the actual third lady was first VF45, because the actual first VF45 was first lady. Everyone still following? Anyway, as Phil says, I was rewarded with a giant carrier bag full of random crap, and finished in 2:34:17.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

oh...I take it back then.

• You're just jealous cos you didn't get a co-op bag full of ribena and disposable razors.

• Congratulations again Lit! image Two prizes in one week!imageimage

15W - my 18 miles in 3.5hrs seems very slow in comparison to your 24 in 3hrs!image I think you should work out how many hours you actually spend running in a week and how many miles that equates to and then I'll do the same and then I can feel better about being so slow by telling myself that I spend alot more time on my feet than you do for half as many miles!image

I struggled again from about 10 miles but I'm sure some of this was down to having followed P&D's stupid plan of 'racing' on the Saturday. At least this time I didn't walk at all and I didn't feel like I just couldn't run another step - not until the end anyway! I am getting a little worried as to how I'm going to manage to run 26 miles at MP in just a few weeks time. And my HR is still stupidly high. Oh well, only 3 more long runs to do. Whoohoo!image

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I have same worries acp...but I guess these long runs make us stronger etc., and then after a good taper we'll be good to go race day.

Hopefully.

6mi recovery for me today. Feeling a bit jaded this morning, combination of long run, curry and beer.

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

acp - For what it's worth I think the bit in P&D about 8-10K tune-up races is intended mainly for people who worry about running too slowly and need the psychological boost from learning that they can still run fast despite all the slow runs in marathon training.  I agree with the idea of doing races during training - it seems to work for me.  However so far I've ignored the temptation to do a 8-10K race the day before a 15+ mile long slow run.  I very much doubt if I could race that far and then do a decent 15+ mile run the following day.  Also, in my part of the world, there aren't many races of that length on a Saturday.

As regards running faster on the day of the marathon, as 15West implies, most people manage it.  It's amazing what stimulus a good taper plus the arrival of race day give!

Also, if it's any consolation, I think most people find 20+ mile runs do get easier with practice.

If you're heart rate's too high then perhaps easing off might be a good idea.

acp wrote (see) ... I struggled again from about 10 miles but I'm sure some of this was down to having followed P&D's stupid plan of 'racing' on the Saturday. At least this time I didn't walk at all and I didn't feel like I just couldn't run another step - not until the end anyway! I am getting a little worried as to how I'm going to manage to run 26 miles at MP in just a few weeks time. And my HR is still stupidly high. Oh well, only 3 more long runs to do. Whoohoo!image

• Afternoon all - how is everyone? I have fallen so far behind schedule that getting back on track is not an option any more image 

Well done to everyone still on track and training hard - who's doing York in October?? 

• SGB1953 - it wasn't until I'd finished the run that I realised some of the struggle may have been down to the 8 miles I'd run the day before which is more than I would normally do before a long run and I certainly wouldn't normally be racing any of them! With hindsight I wish I hadn't bothered and I'm pretty certain I shan't do the next one in the plan. I'd rather do a confident, steady 20 miler on fresh legs than another 18 on knackered ones!image

I hope you and 15W are right about the pace being there on marathon day. I'd love to be able to actually fiinsh a marathon within my target time!

• RamjetRamjet ✭✭✭

Endurance training is a weird thing. In once sense the harder you are finding the long runs the better as this is giving your body more impetus to improve. Doing a race the day before certainly makes the long run harder and hopefully adds to the training benefit you get from the weekend's running.

I am going to put this to the test next weekend although my race will only be a parkrun. It is conveniently located 4 miles away so running to it and back will make the distance up to the required 11 miles.

Having said all that if struggling in the long runs puts you off training altogether then I guess you should do whatever works for you!

• SGB1953SGB1953 ✭✭✭

acp - Completel agree.  I usually do a few miles at recovery pace the day before a long run. 

How many marathons have you done before?

Phil - Good luck with your park run! I'd try your approach, but there are no park runs close enough to me.

• 15West15West ✭✭✭

I never know what to do with these tune up races the day before a long run. Not sure whether to go do a park run; or do a LT run of 5 or 6mi at LT pace...and if I do a LT run whether to run it on the saturday or the friday.