Running streak

Hi everyone, we're looking for some feedback for a feature, please see below from Adrian and get in touch:

Have you got an impressive race running streak?

Ok, let’s get the sniggers out of the way- this is about a running streak nothing involving nudity!

For RW, we are putting together a helpful article on running streaks and I would like to chat to a few runners who have done one or maybe are still doing one now.

It might be you have entered the same race, be it a 10k, half, or full marathon every year (maybe you have done the GNR, VLM or a local race every single year or the last 10-15 or more ?) I would love to hear from you too.

Or even if you do a parkrun and have done over 100 or more without ever missing a week, it would great to speak to you.

Please get in touch if you think you can help.

Male or female, any age and anywhere in the UK.

Please email me at adrian@montimedia.co.uk and I can explain it a bit more.

I look forward to hearing from you

Adrian

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Are some chaps who have massive long streaks at our local half.

They're easy to spot by their ultra miserable face, wishing they'd never started it.

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

Where's hippo?

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

ye, I've cobbled together a few days image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I think Adrian should reach out to Ploddinghippo who has been streaking for a fair few years.

I've started a streak with the dog as he needs a daily run but my 4 weeks is nothing in comparison to Hipps!

• WombleWomble ✭✭✭

That there The Other Man is a real Parkrun tart - he's done zillions of them all over the globe!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Just my opinion, but surely a long term running streak is completely pointless?

How much a day counts? 100yards? 4miles?

At some stage you'll be foolishly running when ill or injured, and never letting your body recover.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

SG -- Annie is asking about a "race running streak" as opposed to a "running streak"...  But agree that running streaks are pointless.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

well spotted TD.

in fairness though, these threads never seem to amount to anything as they ask anyone with anything to add to email some guy....so I doubt they ever read back here...

• Swittle is your man on this one....as anyone who frequents the "My Last Run" forum will know...

• AlfieAlfie ✭✭✭

I've done the naked 5k for 9 years running - so meets both definitions of a running streak!

• The GNR was this guy's 100th half marathon in 200 days.

I think he rattled off HMs 92-100 in less than a fortnight.

I've been following his progress on Facebook. He's been running on a broken toe for a long spell, but his 99th was still a PB - 1hr 31.

https://www.twitter.com/hobbs

https://mydonate.bt.com/fundraisers/nicholasarmitt

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Just my opinion, but surely a long term running streak is completely pointless?

How much a day counts? 100yards? 4miles?

At some stage you'll be foolishly running when ill or injured, and never letting your body recover.

I see this point of view but then much of life itself is totally pointless.  A geek I work with was showing me things that people had spent untold numbers of hours creating on Minecraft last week.  Heseemed impressed, I was mystified.  If they'd made them out of matchsticks i'd have still been a little bemused but at least they'd have something solid out of their efforts.  All they had here were some pixels that a game had allowed them to form.  Now that's pointless.

I guess streaking is about application, dedication to their sport in an abnormal way.  I dunno.  Either way, I do admire that focus.  I enjoy my rest days too much.

• Do what works for you.

I do.

• You cannot begin to understand my disappointment after reading the headline of the post to then go on and read the content image

• makesa makes a change from republishing articles from the American Runners World. 

Do you also just re publish the letters too? if so the letter responses to the Smoking is new Sitting article are already done last month for the US

• And I tought its an UK forum here.

http://babahaft.host-ed.me/sig2.jpg

• Having lived in Accrington for six years I am a great fan of The Ron Hill and his books and career. I have done a few streaks over the years but never got past three months as found my body didn't really like it. Look forward to reading the article.

• There is a really good app that I have been using called Everest for iPhone.  You set your goal and then track your streaks for your own goals (it could be run every day or take part in parkrun every week).  Everytime you take a step towards your goal you mark it off as progress and if you complete your goal then you mark it off each day/week, etc and you can see how many you have done.

Pretty nifty one...

• I'll play.

Ive done the same 10k every year for the last 5 years. Which is pretty minor compared to my friend who is GFA aged 70+ and has done around 20 London Marathons in a row.

There must be a few people who go back to a local race year after year. I suppose you need to look at races like Berkhamstead Half that have been running for 20odd years.
  • Hi, I'm making a running magazine for part of my university degree and would really appreciate it if you could take a few moments to fill in my short survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2TCB762

Thanks very much

• last year I ran every single day (at least 5km) without taking a single day off for rest or illness. I don't think this was stupid in the slightest as I made sure I listened to my body, varied my intensity and essentially was very careful when I needed to be. Over the course of the year I smashed my pbs at every distance from 5k to marathon.

You never hear of any other 'animal' needing a rest day. So long as you do not go out every single day and train at 100% intensity I feel there is nothing wrong with training every day. 

It certainly did me no harm!

• I am currently running a minimum of 3 miles a day for 365 days and am on day 102!! I have felt every emotion during this time but all in all really enjoyed it so far....
  • I've worn clothes on every single one of my runs for the past 36 years.  Is that a streak?

• Jack87 wrote (see)

last year I ran every single day (at least 5km) without taking a single day off for rest or illness. I don't think this was stupid in the slightest as I made sure I listened to my body, varied my intensity and essentially was very careful when I needed to be. Over the course of the year I smashed my pbs at every distance from 5k to marathon.

You never hear of any other 'animal' needing a rest day. So long as you do not go out every single day and train at 100% intensity I feel there is nothing wrong with training every day. 

Well said!

• I recently did a streak of 58 10ks in a row but took a day off as my legs simply couldn't take anymore.

• Impressive endurance, Iain image

• To add my thoughts - and in no way am I trying to build myself up or blow me own trumpet etc. I'm not into that, but thought sharing this would add to the run streak debate.

Today is my 2 year run streak of running at least 1 mile every day (mostly at least 3 miles apart from after marathons or ultras). Many I know are in the midst of longer streaks. Go to twitter and search #runstreak if you want to find some of them.

This year I have got new pb's over every distance. sub 18min at 5k; sub 38min at 10k, sub 82min at HM, a mara pb of 2:55, and a 40mile ultra race in sub 5 hours.

I've just today run my 3,651st mile of 2013.

I feel fitter than ever and have suffered no injuries. I look after myself physical and nutritionally but no more so than many other runners I know.

I'm not special. As Jack87 has said - listen to your body. Many I know say pretty much the same thing - since running every day they are fitter and faster.

It is easy to get lost in the stats - lots of us like them loads; but really to me running is something I really enjoy and get pleasure from. It helps me a great deal. Why wouldn't I like to do it every day?