Ironman UK 2014

Ironman UK announced on Twitter and Facebook today:

"ENTRIES FOR ???#‎IRONMANUK??? 2014 will open on FRIDAY 23 AUGUST at midday to those
people who are on the pre-registration list. The pre reg list is open until
midnight Wednesday 21 August and already has almost 6,000 athletes listed. The
link to the pre reg form is here: https://ironmancrew.wufoo.com/forms/2014-preregistration/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ironman-UK/177181798989985?hc_location=stream "

Who's in?? I'll be back - I've got unfinished business in Bolton!!

Comments

• Hi Tim, glad to hear you're coming for another crack at it mate...you'll nail it this time.

Having been at the briefing i had decided to race IM again next year...sadly though i'm not racing Bolton. i entered IM sweden this morning....very excited to be doing my first race on foreign soil.....MrsB is racing sweden too!!

we'll be out to support tho!!!

• Hi TIm, Andy and everyone else on the forum image

I'm wanting next years Ironman UK to be my first crack at Ironman, any tips or advice on getting entry(does it usually sell out and all that sort as thing) and any advice or knowledge you can pass on about the course,the day and Ironman in general? 

Sorry this is quite broad, quite a bit of nervous excitement for my first post!

• It's probably going to sell out before I get a chance to enter image 

• it sold out in october last year and i think it will do the same this year...cant really tell you much about the course at the moment cause the rumour is they are changing it from 3 laps to 2 (sadly larger loops though...you dont get off that easy)

if they do then you'll only have 2 times up sheephouse lane...but i reckon you'll now have 2 trips up parbold hill as well...which is a little bitch!!!

• on the upside tho ... UK hills are not very long 

• it feels it 3rd time round tho!!!

• I can just about get up Parbold Hill (once!!), how much longer / steeper is Sheephouse please?

• Have they announced the date of the race anywhere.  Google couldn't help me image

• 20 July 2014 - top of the website.  Click on pre-registration as my info came from emails.

• I'm looking to do the Big one in Bolton next year as my first full ironman distance.

To make sure I get in I'll enter on Friday - planned lunchtime already !

Hills are hills, what goes up goes down too. I'd get off and walk if I had too image

accommodation booked (with friends) I used to live in Bury.

excited / nervous/ but 11 months to train

Timmy G see you there ? Lets go for it as two newbies image

• D'Oh, thanks BoroBhoy image

• RS

i thought u couldnt enter until midnite 

• You get a code by 9am, with entries opening at 12 noon on Friday

• I am entering too, first time for me image 

• Andy B - Sweden is definitely the easy option from the look at the bike times image  And I definitely remember when you thought you were doing this, you said that Parbold hill wasn't that bad... image

Just looked back at mails from last year and entries opened on 9th September and sold out/closed on 1700 entries on 31st October.  So 6-7 weeks if it's the same as last year. 

Bear in mind this is the 10th IMUK which may mean extra interest, but I heard a rumour numbers may be increased.

Red Stripe - not quite a newbie as I've finished two Outlaws and started but didn't finish this year's IMUK due to illness slowing me down on the bike. 

So I've got unfinished business here...oh, and I have Lanza to do first image

• Hi guys I'll be signing up again as soon as entries open this year. Not only did I miss out on normal a entry, it was touch and go I got in on a charity place last year. It grows in popularity every year and as Tim says, it being the 10th Ironman UK it will probably sell out in record time.

Pots Pans have you pre registered?

• PotsPans - welcome to the forum!! If you want advice about this race then this is definitely the place to be!!

Whatever the question (and never feel you're asking something too obvious or feel stupid - we were all there once!!) they'll be someone here who know's the answer.

And people that know the questions that you don't even know about yet!!

Pre-reg is open till Wednesday night which allows you to enter from the 23rd, but general sale starts a week later.

• If I manage to get in this will be my 7th IM image

• i am tempted to go for this rather than outlaw but i dont think i can justify the price difference to be honestimage

• Thanks for the warm welcome Timmy_G and AndyB, been looking at the forum for a few months while I worked up the nerve for a first post image

I haven't pre-registered yet, I will crack on with that this evening...Or I might do it now on works time. Shush, lets keep that to this public open forum, I'd hate my employers to know that I put triathlon before my work, haha!

Any other word of warning/wisdom about the race?

• Train on hills, hills and more hills.

Nothing complicated about the swim, it's a two lapper in a nice lake with no weed.  Just aim to be fresh when you've done 3.8k.

It's all about the bike.  Tough, hilly and windy so focus your training effort on the bike.

Marathon is a point to point for about 6 miles, then 3 big loops along a main road and through the town centre so lots of support. 

Start and finish are a great atmosphere and the Ironman Big Race feel. Most of the roads on bike and run are closed and crowds in places (especially Rivington and Belmont on the bike and the finish area on the run) are great.

The finish with the big screens, grandstand and impressive town hall are what makes IMUK - definitely making the Ironman finish special.

Logistically it's more difficult with Start/T1, T2 and Finish being in three different locations, but those that have done it before can tell you how that works nearer the day.  Once you've been through it, it's fairly straight forward.

• Spend the winter doing hilll reps image

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

IMUK or Outlaw for a first timer?

• Either - Outlaw is less challenging both in course and logistics, but IMUK is a bigger spectacle in my opinon.  Both are fantastic races.

It depends what you are doing it for - if you just want to complete the distance in the easiest way possible, then the Outlaw is for you. 

If you want a bigger challenge (and a bigger field) then IMUK is for you.

• Thanks for the advice, Timmy! Will get out into the hills surrounding York and get some reps in image

Suppose I'd better venture out to the pool too...

• GraemeKGraemeK ✭✭✭

Like the sound of the transition in one place at Outlaw.

• I number of IM have split transitions .. It does not detract from the race ...

• IM up for this as well..... ha ha

3 weeks after IM Nice - should be ok, so I'll be Kona -5 if I get around image

Its not that hilly is it?

• Agreed WildWill - it makes the day before interesting, but when racing you're just moving forward

• Wow you guys have started early, I like it. Doing an IM is still on my bucket list. This year I did a charity bike ride RideUk24, Manchester to London, 250m in 24hrs, I finished in 22:05, so I've got some endurance, and I've run marathons before, so I've got no excuses now. If it does come over to Parbold hill, yes it is short, about a mile, and only ramps up to 14degrees near the top. Not a great hill to train on, as it's an A road near to a motorway junction thats used by 'artics', so busy. As Bolton is only about 25miles from where I live, it makes sense for me from a logistical point to choose IM Uk