Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭

I put the chiding down to grumpy old man syndrome image. I suffer from it myself usually, but not tonight, as I'm off on my hols for two weeks image

Good reps SG, especially after a bit of time out from speed work

Philip - I'm hoping this week will also be my first 50+ week for some time, though it relies on a big run Sunday! Seems like 400s are the order of the day...

Matt - hope it improves for the ben mate! I'm sure 4 weeks will see you right though....

Chris - 3 x 2M off 2 mins rec at HMP is a good session for half training (easier to quote some numbers than the pure physiological benefits of that one - sorry, though it should help you be faster, stonger and isn't a major injury risk session!) as is a 4-6M weekly tempo.

Right, not sure whether or not I'll have internet access for the next two weeks, so if not, happy training and racing one and all!

• The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - I'm hoping this week will also be my first 50+ week for some time, though it relies on a big run Sunday! Seems like 400s are the order of the day...

53 in the last 7 days, 38 so far this week, 8 with SG on Sunday and a bit of parkrun volunteer tomorrow (3 down the hill and 3 back up) will see me 52 with ease.

• Cheers guys. I'm building to that 3 x 2 Bus. Looks a toughy. Did 2 x 2 earlier on the week so will have a crack at 3 next week. I'd been trying to run the 2 mile intervals at 5k pace so was hurting. A lot. 3 x 2 at HMP should hopefully be more sustainable. And it seems there really is no hiding from the Tempo runs  - they are the ones I dread the most for some reason. But time to crack on and bring them in on a weekly basis. 

• 17:18 park run today- a little windy for my liking but same for everyone. Want to look at course map as I apparently went though 3KM IN 10:00 flat which is 16:45 pace and 3:20 km then did 7:18 for last 2KM ... Which is 3:40ish

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Little while since I posted and a lots happened! Most important, congrats Johnas!

Been in the US for two weeks now and got into New York late last night. Went up to the Bronx tho morning for a hilly muli terrain 10k. My garmin died just before so had no idea on pace meaning postition was key. Led from the start and decided seeing as its my first race abroad I'd better make sure. Won in 39.02, standard wasn't great but the terrain and heat/humidity justify the few minutes added on. Also not sure on distance accuracy

If anyone comes this way check out http://nycruns.com/ as they seem to have a lot of events

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Nice work PC. Had visions of you cruising around with a cigar on taunting everyone behind with "is that the best you got", but the explanation on course and condition makes more sense image

Right, 8 with Phil shortly, then have to hope I can get into work to do what hopefully will be a 5-10min job....

seeing as though I can't get the work loaner laptop to work at home imageimage

• 8 with SG, nice and easy along the Thames between Marlow and Cookham.

Nice win there PC2, looked at that link for my next visit but al lthey can offer is a marathon.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Yep good run Phil. Just what the body ordered really.

Just in a frustrating zone right now where I know I could get at it and kick on if I could ditch this mid term pelvis thing.

Hard to not think it will never go at the moment!

At least the Prem footy is back to give me something else to obsess on. And coaching Skinny and Litty helps too.

• Well done PC2, an international win must feel good!!

Been exploring my new area, moved to Cumbria on Friday, already been on 4 runs. This morning was a nice 16 miles to Ullswater lake shore and back. Grabbed a bottle of water(fizzy by accident) and a fudge bar at a campsite by the lake.. Stopped for 4mins then came home. Put a fair bit of MP on the way home. Tagged a hill onto the end. 1:50 for 16 and feel surprisingly good now.. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tim, have a word with my man Skinny Fetish Fan, he's up that way...might be able to give you some ideas on routes...or even give you a running partner on some of your easy pace stuff..

on the agreement you don't injure him pushing too hard image

• Hope the injury clears properly soon Stevie G. 

Nice 17 miler progressve run today at 7.14 pace overall. Fairly decent run with a very hilly 11 mile start and then a 6 mile pushe on. Had hoped to do the last 6 near HMP, but the early hills killed that idea off. More like 6.30 pace for the last 6 instead of 6.00 but that's 60 miles for the week done (which is the most I've done since London). So overall its getting there, but still lacking pace. 

• Stevie.. Must be frustrating not being able to train properly. I feel bad for you. Would like to run with a localler... Ask him to drop me a line. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Ta chaps, I guess still being able to do 50miles a week means I can't really complain. Plenty ,much worse off!

Will get Skinny to get in touch Tim.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I managed 10 miles on grass last week. Still no better. 

• Time for proper rest or a good massage Matt?

Nice International claim PC.

The only running I have done since Thursday is to the toilet. Being ill is not fun, and daytime TV is enough to drive anyone back to work! Ho hum.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

I went to the physio last Monday Iron, prob too soon really regarding the injury but wanted to see if I could make Capenhurst this Wed. (No chance). He advised to try a couple of miles on the Tuesday on grass which I 'managed'. 

The physio I use is a clubmate so have been in regular contact. I then tried 3 on Wed and 4 on Thursday but it wasn't any better and I was wary of making it worse So rested and tried a mile yesterday. i texted him to let him know and i went to see him yesterday and then back tonight for what was my original appointment. All free of charge barring my first appointment as he's just keen to get me back running and fit for Ben Nevis. 

It's absolutely fine to walk and I feel no pain at all when cycling or on the X trainer which I've been doing pretty much every day. Seem to have located it to being the Soleus as it only hurts when my knee is bent and I'm pushing off or landing.

Been advised to keep jogging a mile each night on grass this week as he said if I rest completely then try running the chances are it'll go again. Due to see him Wed and Friday so he can try and keep breaking the scar tissue up. Certainly glad he's a mate and its pretty much a freebie! 

Hope you're back fighting fit soon. Has the Achilles cleared up now? 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

new chap joined work today. was telling me his local 10k was won in 26mins.

Tried to gently say that 26 is the world record on the track, but he was adamant.

Made me chuckle

• Ha. I wonder if its officially measured?!  Let's all get over there for a P.B!

Just had tonight's text of doom: 16 x 400's with 1 min recoveries (4sets of 4). 3 mins between sets. Trying to come up with some excuses to avoid that session! ha.

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

SG, it's not the 14 min 5k 16 year old is it from the other thread? Must have put some training in over the summer. 

Could do with sharing his training on here. 

• I think we all need to know which 10k it was.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

in fairness it was a high quality 10k i did this year, and the record is in the high 28s....

but still...i loved the way he was arguing it...until a very quick google cleared it up

"Oh i might be wrong then"

yep.

•  

Stevie G . wrote (see)

new chap joined work today. was telling me his local 10k was won in 26mins.

My daughter had a friend round who insisted her sister ran London marathon in 2:30. I tried to set her right but could sense the daggers coming down the table from my wife so had to back off. After some googling on my behalf it turned out to be 3:30

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

It's good that you checked Phil.  We can't let these lying b***ards get away with it!

• Pedants. What's an hour more or less when it's such a long race?

• Dachs wrote (see)

It's good that you checked Phil.  We can't let these lying b***ards get away with it!

I didn't so much mind but my wife was saying that I was getting bothered and not to worry about beign beaten by a woman. The fact is that I beat all but 10 of the women from the masses start so that was irking me.

I need to dig out the cattle prod again, lots of tourists about, think the holidays and a bit of sunshine encourages them: the prod will clear the streets to a level where you can run without radical changes in directoin to avoid people hindered by the need to look through a camera lens or stare at a smart phone.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

it's an exceptionally irritating thing having someone telling you something as "fact" when you know for sure that they're wrong.

Thank goodness for these days of the internet at instant access for disproving sake!

Busy day, so only got a 4 in at lunch, meaning an 8 with 12x75metres thrown in now. Best get out there.

New 405 turned up. Meaning for the first time in a month I can enjoy having a GPS watch that won't fall off at some stage!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Run wasn't as comfy as I presumed. Probably a mix of the heat, stress end to the working day, and the pelvis thing throwing my form off a little so making it all slightly harder work.

Came out 6.39 average pace, so I guess a fair bit of it slipped into steady rather than easy, alongside the strides.

Saw some random gardener watering his plants, so asked him to angle it into my path. That was nice!

• Matt, hope it works out for you!

Achilles seems to be pretty much recovered. I'll admit to being overly cautious on the return, so building mileage up very slowly then will start some speed work later once a midweek run is up to the distance I'd normally do for a track session. I think the bad news is I won't be able to do the upcoming 2014 duathlon qualifiers any running justice.

I spent many an hour arguing with my BIL that a man could not survive being sucked through a jet engine, which really irked me having spend years studying the things at Uni. Then I was showed a youtube video showing such a survival. To be fair he didn't go through the entire engine, just the first fan.

I'm sure we've all got a mate who has, or knows someone who has a slightly dubious race result.

• Can't resist chipping in about tales of running llies!

Met a sky sports female presenter at a do once who tried to tell mf she was a 32min 10k runner I immediately challenged her in front of the guy who's guest I was and I told her she was talking bullshit this turned into a 15 min heated discussion on my beliefs and reasons as to why her story wasn't plausible I was asked to back off quietly by my collegue.

3 hours later she said she may have been wrong!! 

fortunately no lasting damage and we actually now laugh at what happened and none of that group dare challange me on running stats !!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

She'd be pretty tasty to do 5miles in 32mins!