Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• She was pretty tasty full stop that's what was pointed out to me but I was focused on pointing out she was just wrong!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Hot women love to be corrected.

Or is it hate to be corrected.

It's one of them... 

• Try both next time you meet one and see which goes down better.

I have a pleasingly dodgy race result where my recent 5.8 mile league race has turned up on PO10 and runbritain as 6MNAD, where NAD means 'nowhere bloody near'. Makes me look just slightly faster than I am in real life.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

NAD is a very apt description for such results. As in a big steaming pile of NADS

• I always thought it meant at least someone involved had to think in reasonably good faith that it was about that length. No-one there was claiming it was any more than 5.8! But my runbritain handicap (which I don't believe in anyway) just improved massively.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

RB can improve simply by you doing more races. It's an utterly pony system.

I think it was Dachs who started posting some pbs and actually saw his handicap increase.

• I don't really understand how it's meant to work (even though it has been explained to me more than once) but I am willing to put blind faith in it for as long as it reckons I am better than everyone else in my club.

• That's just plainly unfair. My half mara pb from last month doesn't count on power of 10 as it doesn't have a License. No doubt the race organisers spent the license money on the whiskey for prizes which, in fairness, was amazing! But on a sad note it means my my run Britain ranking has dropped any a whole 0.1! 

Anyway, 16 x 400m done and dusted, with one min recoveries. First set if 4 averaged 78s; second set @ 76sec; third set @ 74; and fourth set @ 70. Even snuck a 68 for the last rep. 

Really happy with that session. Longest one ive probably ever done. My pacing on the track is useless, but I was lucky to be paced by a great runner who was running like a metronome! 

• DachsDachs ✭✭✭

Yep, I was in the form of my life and my handicap just kept getting worse. But then I ran the New Forest 10 in scorching heat, andmy handicap went from -0.2 to -0.8. Almost immediately I became a fan of the system.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Hang on SG, so what you are saying is I should do more races, right? image

Chris, surely that was whisky rather than whiskey?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

For some reason Dachs, those minus figures bring back a random memory of being about 10years old, sitting in the back of a car on a motorway drive with 2 pals in my footy team.

Every time there was a bridge, we had to duck, or we'd "lose a head", having started from 10 each.

Being ridiculously competitive even then, I was delighted to "win", and had 3 or 4 heads left to their 1 each at the end of the drive.

The others then said...well who wants more than 1 head anyway.....

The moral of this story is...erm Run Britain is rubbish.

Nice reps Chris.

• Whisky indeed lit. I'm blaming autocorrect for that one. The Scottish inlaws would never speak to me again if they found out! Now you mention it....

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    literatin wrote (see)
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

Hang on SG, so what you are saying is I should do more races, right? image

I think you'd already have hit a few more pbs if your race schedule wasn't so biased to odd distance off road stuff on your club championship, but it is as it is.

• I don't think so - there wasn't a sensible one around here I could have done.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

(I edited to remove the pressure, you already have a feverish battle with Skinny for the first week in sep image)

• Great, now I look like I'm talking to myself.

Anyway, I've got loads of new PBs: for 5.75 miles, 4.9 miles, 5.8 miles, 30k...

• At least they count on power of 10 lit. Stop your moaning! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

forget all that guff, you've got some genuinely exciting times ahead for some proper distances. Skinny too.

• Chris J77 wrote (see)

At least they count on power of 10 lit. Stop your moaning! 

I don't think the 30k does. But it doesn't matter anyway because I wasn't allowed to race that one.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Felt like I was shuffling at times on the 8miler today yet it came out 6.49 without too much effort in heat and with a couple of short hills.

So quote an odd period at the moment. I suppose it's the lack of full speedwork meaning all the other runs are creeping up in pace and the irregular form making it feel different too.

That or I've had a leap in easy pace, or I'm remembering how fast 3k pace is!

• That or it's the new watch... let's turn this into one of those 'how do you know how far you've run in implausibly fast times' threads.

• I'm still setting PBs for the toilet dash. Crash course training.

In other news PO10 say I'm now a V35. Meh!

• Nice sessions Chris j77

I've been away working and a little sore last few days so 2 days ive settled for my regular route into work and home which is 2.26 miles not the longer route one way.. Following my 5KM on Saturday I did 5 mile Sunday 2 runs on Monday one being my longer route into work 5.13 m @30:43 which i still need to slow it down I think...

Mileage for August is 85.6 with 4 rest days and I've now ran 7 days in a row totalling 35.6 for the 7 days....

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • I can't help much on the training front Scott, as its still new to me. But I think it could be frightening what you could achieve if you get some good advice and structured training behind you. You've clearly got talent in abundance and I really hope you put the hard work in with some guidance from the guys here to see what you can achieve. I've got a feeling it will be pretty bloody amazing. 

Decided I'm going to race a hilly 10k on Sunday near where I will be on holiday. So I followed last nights killer session with a tempo night tonight. Did 9 miles including 2x2 mile intervals. Not quite the 3 x 2 prescribed by Bus, but I didn't want to overcook before Sunday. I am going to just run easy miles before Sunday now, although I might do 15 miles easy tomorrow night as I won't be able to do a long run with Sundays race. It's turning into a knackering week! 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Chris why not tag tithe long run onto the end of Sundays race? At least you'll be a bit fresher come race day. 

Maybe a couple of mile warm up, race, then run the route afterwards? 

I think as you increase your mileage Scott the pace of that run to work may well drop. When I first started running which was between playing football (which was at least 4/5 days a week.) I used to run a hard 10k on the other 2/3 days. I used to jog to football and back some days though. 

i got the time down to 36.12 which is why I then entered my first race Last year. I genuinely don't think i could get near that now with the extra miles and sessions over the week but I'm 3 mins quicker over 10k. 

Had my first pain free run yesterday, 3 miles on grass ave 7.20 min miles. Hopefully it's on the mend and fingers crossed I can get a week or so just going steadily away on the grass. 

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Stevie see, can't find you in the capenhurst results. Must be bloody jinxed that race!image 

• Good news on the injury front mattl. Fingers crossed for a proper return.

I've never been disciplined enough to run a race as part of a long run. Once I've raced I'm knackered and the thought of extra miles is almost impossible. I've tried and failed before, but for me I can barely walk after a race let alone bang out more miles. I should be ok running it on tired legs as its not an A race, so will just get the miles in tonight and take it easy before Sunday with some really easy runs and see how the legs respond. The first 5k is all uphill about 100m of climb. Should be interesting! 

• 3,000 on the track yesterday. Met up with Frankie who was pacing Maryse round for a 10:15 and independently I had the exact same plan was 10:15 with laps of 82. I checked it was Ok and tucked in behind for the ride. First lap was 80 and then slowed to be on pace and first 1600 in 5:26 so looking good. Over the last 1400 I gradually lost a few metres a lap but was generally in touch. Kept it all tidy and pushed the last lap so the splits of 5:37 for the first mile (garmin seems to have added a lot for those 9 metres and the trace shows the mile split halfway round the bend!) and 5:36  pace for the next 0.85 miles give false evidence to a more even race. 10:22 on the garmin which I'll take.

These 3,000s are hard, you can't really relax at any point and I had far too much left in me at the end which should have been committed earlier. Will need to try another later in the year, always need a few to get the sights set right. September 18th next 3000 at Watford. I turn 48 on September 17th so last night was 79%, if I repeat it I get 79.6%, 10:19 for 80%.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Tidy turn out Phil, and you're bang on, you need to do a few 3ks to get a satisfactory outcome I reckon.

I finished my first feeling like you, that I had too much left.

Yet finished the 2nd 1.5secs quicker feeling monstered. I guess the flat out 50metre sprint didn't help that.