Overdone it?

Comments

• I means I'm brilliant.

Seriously, though, you don't often seem to get that many proper fast women in races in general. Go back and stalk my PO10 profile again and look at my gender position - even in bigger races I'm not that far back. You'll have a handful of serious fast women runners at the front (or not, which are the ones I can win) and then you'll have a few people like me, and that's it.

• literatin wrote (see)

I means I'm brilliant.

• 38.4 miles last week including one Quality session of 30mins alternating every 3 minutes between MP and Tempo - thought it was going okay after doing four reps (2 of each) until I realised I had only run for 12 mins and still had another 18 to go - overall covered the right distance over the 30 mins but dropped pace in 8 and 9 (so must have gone a bit too fast somewhere else. LSR of 14.2.

This week quality is up to 40 mins alternating every 5 mins between MP and HMP and Coach is rewarding me with a parkrun on Saturday just to sharpen me up a little before 10k sub 40 attempt on 4th September. Will be my first as a V45 so 3 months since my last one which was also last time I raced fully fit.

7 weeks to target HM, 2 weeks to target 10k.

• Right, so some people are allowed to do parkruns. This is clearly just favouritism.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Lit - leave the parkruns to the men!  5k is a horrific distance for a lady. We're designed for a more refined pace. image  

• Don't really understand but Coach does not allow me to do parkruns as a general rule - but I haven't had a race since end of May - I think you've been racing loads in your summer league - so this is a one off - I don't really like doing them because they really mess with my training schedule and the LSR on Sunday and anything that messes with my training and target races is a bad thingimage.

So the only time I have really done parkruns is when it was part of my target to run a 5k in sub 20 mins. This is a one off as part of my training because otherwise I'm suddenly going to be trying to race 10k faster than I've run for 4 months.

Ultimately I've chosen to let Stevie set my training and whatever he sets I try and do and I've been following this pretty religiously this year. So if he says no parkruns then I don't do a parkrun; if he says do a parkrun then I do a parkrun. I've put my trust in him to tell me what to do and if I do it then I hope i'll get the results that will make me happy. I don't always think that what he says is exactly what I should be doing but I do it.image

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Skinny - I've been coached for over 2 years now and it has made a huge difference to me. Having someone with a wealth of knowledge and experience who is able to see the bigger picture has got to be an advantage and all you need to do is the running.  However, don't be frightened to question. Remember it's only ever an experiment of one and I've on occasion had to use my best persuasive skills to get my coach around to my way of thinking. image

• Absolutely. Listen to your coach, and then go off and do 30k trail races on a whim. image

• Minni - thanks, pleased to hear it is working for you too.

Obviously I need to tell Coach about any niggles and we do have a running weekly conversation on my training plan so occasionally I'm trying to understand why and because it is only set one week in advance sometimes I want to know when we will be doing something different but really most, if not all, my questions Coach already has in hand.image I quite like being an experiment of one as we'll never quite know if it worked or not - I guess if I end up happy with the times I achieved and hit my targets then I will feel like it worked - if not I'll blame the Coach!!image

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

So the only time I have really done parkruns is when it was part of my target to run a 5k in sub 20 mins. This is a one off as part of my training because otherwise I'm suddenly going to be trying to race 10k faster than I've run for 4 months.

Just to clarify this line, there have been 2 10k specific sessions recently, strides, and a 10k race within the last month...there will no doubt be a 10k based session next week too.

We're not expecting 10k pace to arrive from nowhere

As for parkruns, they serve a purpose, but as Skinny says they can disrupt the flow of the training.

And naturally if you're targeting 10k through half marathon, your schedule will look a lot different than if you're targeting 3k to 5k.

Except for that...as you were image

• He's clearly finding 10k pace so easy he doesn't even notice he's doing it.

• Hi Richard - I work on Kingstown Ind Estate so pretty near you. When it gets to winter I'd definitely be up for doing the LSR with you on a Sunday if you liked and even possibly some runs straight after work?

Which club are you a member of coz obviously not Manx Runners like it says on Pof10?

Cheers Skinny

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

Just to clarify this line, there have been 2 10k specific sessions recently, strides, and a 10k race within the last month...there will no doubt be a 10k based session next week too.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

As for parkruns, they serve a purpose, but as Skinny says they can disrupt the flow of the training.

And naturally if you're targeting 10k through half marathon, your schedule will look a lot different than if you're targeting 3k to 5k.

Except for that...as you were image

literatin wrote (see)

He's clearly finding 10k pace so easy he doesn't even notice he's doing it.

Okay when I read these I didn't have my training plan to hand but I was genuinely surprised that I had done two 10k specific sessions recently - however I had!image

One 3*1 mile (that I failed to hit the paces on though!) and one 7 * 1k. So apologies coach for the misinformation.

PS Why have you deleted my training spreadsheet from drop box - panicking!!!!!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Don't worry Skinny, but always remember, there's thinking behind your whole programme, the sessions aren't just for giggles

I accidentally deleted it but hopefully it's back in there,..just check for me!

• I think he deleted it on purpose as punishment for questioning his methods.

• It's not back - don't seem to be able to access a recent copy either.

PS I'm still at work doing some urgent stuff so tonight's 40 mins quality is going to have to be done tomorrow, probably morning. Should I leave the 6 Easy on Thursday or move to Friday and stick in some strides?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

whoops, drop me your email again to my PM, and i'll try and add you back in.

I took the opportunity to save all these files on my documents! Didn't realise how easy to delete they are!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

just switch today and wed over, so today becomes your rest, and do the session tomorrow.

If you're wiped out Thursday, switch the 6 down to a 3/4. But otherwise stick as youa re Thur on.(I've updated...when you can see it again image)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

lovely.

ok, well it's updated, and I have copies in case!

• Hi Lit - going back to our conversation about Ladies, V45, WAVA rankings and how brilliant you are I had a look earlier at where a 1:25 Half time would rank on Power of 10 this year for a lady and a V45.

1:25 for you would give you a position of about 180th this year on the ladies overall list whereas about 280th for me on the MV45 list.

Interestingly the best time for a HM by a lady this year is faster than the best time by a MV45.

So that would suggest to me that a MV45 and a Senior Lady are roughly comparable. I don't really mean anything by this I just found it interesting and thought you might too.

• I didn't say I was brilliant; you said that and I just politely agreed. image

I think that the WAVA scores get skewed by the fact that you have some a few very speedy women getting really fast times, but a big gap before you get to the average, which is reflected in the numbers you quoted. All you can really say is that you and I are comparable despite being in different categories because we have similar times.

Though I still contend that it's easier for you because you're a bloke and with longer legs.

• Sh1t - I am never gonna get home tonight (waiting for draft to print off at moment).

I didn't say you said you were brilliantimage.

WAVA - agree.

You and me comparable coz similar times - agree. (it's good when it's laak that!image)

Bloke with longer legs easier - makes sense but obviously not - see similar times above (and trust me I'm not taking it easy!!)

• The longer legs thing is just my pre-excuse for when you turn out to be faster than me.

(also to piss Stevie off because it's clearly not true)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

exactly, it gets to a stage where long legs become a hindrance. How many 6ft 2 and up good runners do you see?

But both doing target fast flat 10ks in the same week should bring some promising results, as you both stonked good pbs in less than ideal circumstances last time out!

• Asbel Kiprop looked fairly tidy in the 1500m at the Worlds?

David Rudisha's not bad either?

Usain Bolt is pretty speedy.

However if you take all these as sprint distances (which for us they would be) then I think marathon runners tend to be shorter (but I'm not a marathon runner either!).

Galen Rupp looked to be the tallest in the 5000 and 10000m and he's 5ft 11.

I'm 6ft 0, Stevie is 6ft 1 - how tall are you Lit?

• Lou - how was holiday in Turkey - you back ready to run or still injured?

• I'm not very tall, Skinny.

• Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭

Wilson Kipsang is 6ft, he does ok.

Scott Jurek is 6 ft 2 and he's not bad either although not strictly a marathoner.

Isn't Paul Tergat fairly tall?