Ireman 226 challenge

2»

Comments

• Budjude you are assuming any other pirates going will be good? If darkness goes he's quite hardy from what little I saw of him at outlaw this year but other than that you might not have to worry? image

• Well done Darkness, you did well. I did the half on Sunday as a season closer and also did the same last year. I'm sure we spoke a couple of years ago about this being on your bucket list.   

I found the going tough, but I hadn't trained at anything over standard distance this year and I had only run double figures once this year in February!

Its a decent course, I enjoyed the mixture of terrains and the figure of 8 format bringing you past transition and the crowd several more times than usual.

• BM, I don't think I would have been first in AG, as the start list was mainly middle GED men like myself (quelle surprise for an IM eh)image

its a great race VTd so I hope to be back.  The half is very well supported. Might see you there!

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhshelley/sets/72157635138459549/

Here is the link to the Triathlon Ireland photo set of the day giving a good idea of the swim and run course for anyone thinking of doing it next year.

• free photos as well - another massive tick in the box for me

• Yep, I emailed them and they sent me my photo in high res FOC! image 

However it s a Triathlon Ireland media photographer rather than a commercial team of photographers so no guarantee he will get you.

• I think this may be the last time this event is held in its current location.  It is organised by my tri club, Triangle, and it started off many years ago on the North Coast as an ironman distance over three days.

It moved 60 miles to Groomsport when the current race director took over its organisation.  However, he is now leaving his post as a Triathlon Ireland official to work with the NI Commenwealth Games squad.

It is intended to bring it back to Benone beach and run it in its current format ie a concurrent full and half distance race and still on the the National Series calandar.

I like it as it has a real friendly, family orientated, almost impromptu feel about it.  The goody bag always features a quality commemorative jacket, gilet or hoodie, which I often spot people wearing years after their participation.

Would be good to get a pirate ship, they know very little about us over here and my friends were astounded by the mass pirate support at Outlaw last year.

• I am 100% guaranteed to do it again next year if it is at Benone beach. Must be the most beautiful beach in the UK, although I may be prone to a little bias due to fantastic childhood memories! Also the first place I took my wife on holiday when we stayed across the road.

I was approached by a local in transition who was reading Andy Holgates book. The Pirates would be made very welcome.

• Although if I recall correctly there could be a real surf swim image

Two years ago we had basking sharks swimming around and under us during the Causeway Coast Tri image . 

Peter Jack, our club chairman, will probably have a huge say on bringing the event back to Benone.  He is as enthusiastic about triathlon, especially distance, as anyone in the world.  His influence and shear doggedness will ensure its survival on the beach where he finished his first IM distance.  Co-incidentally, his 14th was in Copenhagen on Sunday past.

Just getting over 18 months of injury nightmare, I'm signing up for a European IM next year (possibly Copenhagen), but if the event returned to its roots I would also sign up for the full distance.  Although it feels like you just rock up and 'Go!', for £100 it must rate as decent value.

• Looks like a fast course in Copenagen. I presume you will be trying to take the new Irish record set there last Sunday image

Hope you are over your injuries now.

• Ireman 226 2013 - The eventual winner did indeed take a wrong turning on the 1st lap of the bike course.  When the eventual winner spotted this (Garmin was short by 5 miles at the end of lap 1) he immediately informed the race referee when he passed him on lap 2.  Following a short discussion, the referee advised the eventual winner that he should do an extra loop which was done during lap 3 of the bike course and the bike splits reflect this.

• Glad you got it sorted Sandy and well done on your win.

• I had to reply as I couldn't have you guys thinking I took a wrong turn on the bike course and didn't hold my hands up.  I had to, it's part of what makes triathlon the fantastic sport it is, I'm proud of that.

Congratulations on your own pb Justin, there aren't all that many people who understand just what we put ourselves through a week or so ago, it was even tougher with that stiff wind all the way up the coast.

I entered the Outlaw today, are you up for that again in 2014 or do you have other plans?  Good luck wherever you race.

• Hopefully see you in Nottingham Sandy.  I have an entry but a panic buy given  everything is selling out so quickly and I haven't really cosnidered what I want to do next year yet. 

• It's a nightmare trying to get your year sorted out in time to still get your entry in isn't it?  There are a couple of half IM events in Scotland that tend to have a bit of availability late in the day - the Aberfeldy Half IM in August and the Highland Warrior run by No Fuss Events in Fort William, used to be Sept but it moved to May this year for some reason, not sure if they're of any use to you but they are usually well run, supported and organised events.

• Sandy it happens well done and see you in the bar for Nottingham. image

• Does anyone know any details about next years event?? Was considering joining it with a family holliday.

• The previous race director and organiser has left his post in Triathlon Ireland to take up a new full time post in the NI Commonwealth Games organisation.  He will no longer be organising this race.

It is my belief that my club, Triangle, will take it back to its roots on the North Antrim coast.  This is a beautiful part of the world with miles of beautiful sandy beaches stunning cycle routes, but without doubt it will miss the energy and insight of its previous 'champion'.

I'll post back here as things develop.

• VT good news for the race director. Shout up when you know what's happening I'm well up for this one. image

• I think the web site has been updated for 2014. states race date of 17th august, entries to open mid January.