Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• *Biggles**Biggles* ✭✭✭

Pheebsgeebs

I have booked on the early London Heathrow flight getting into Amsterdam at 0940. I think its best to give yourself lots of time to enjoy the Expo get checked in to hotel and have a nice relaxing afternoon that's good preparation for the race on Sunday. That's what I did for the Berlin Marathon and it worked well for me.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Definitely agree with arriving in the morning. Always have a plan B/C available and if you arrive later you may struggle to accommodate any issues that could arise.

I normally arrive on Saturday morning, get to my hotel and then trace the route to the start so that I've got a route in my head rather than struggle on marathon morning

Don't forget that Sunday morning at the expo may be busy as well.

• Chri5BChri5B ✭✭✭

Six of us went to Hamsterjam last year - three of us ran the half, one ran the marathon and two for support.

Sunday morning around the Expo was very busy, so we were glad of collecting our stuff on the Saturday.  There was a bit of a queue for the bag-drop pre-half marathon.

We rented a 3 bedroom apartment at Plein 40-45, which was a tram + train ride to the Olympic Stadium though.  Although that sounds like a lot of hassle, the tram stop was almost outside of our apartment (which was staggering distance from an excellent Turkish restaurant).  Staying at Plein 40-45 meant we were heading away from the city centre post running, so there were far fewer people getting on the train at the Olympic station (Amstelveenseweg).

• Thanks! Yeah, I'm going for the early flight on Saturday. Better to be chilled out I think!

I'm booking an airbnb apartment for my friends and I in Oud-West - seemed a good distance from both the starting point and the town centre for the rest of the weekend.

Glad to hear it's a flat course too - I'm hoping for sub 4hours. Did 18.5m in 2hr45 on Sunday so hopefully I'm on track!

• H - you out there? How did Comrades go?

The bag drop's a big line of little marquees. You just pick any one you want and they put a sticky number on your bag and a matching number on your race bib.

I found there was a huge queue at each end of the line of marquees, but if you ignored those and went to the marquees in the middle, there was hardly any wait.

• *Biggles**Biggles* ✭✭✭

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good restaurant for afterwards? I'm thinking a steakhouse or similar.

I'm staying at Citizen M hotel which is not far from the start (short walk) but I guess most of the good restaurants would be downtown.

• Hi guys, I have paid a deposit for a 2 bed apartment very close to the marathon start/finish but am no longer running it this year. If you are interested in taking on the apartment, please send me a message and I can give you all the details.

Cheers,

Tim

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Hi everyone 

just signed up fthe amsterdam although been training for sometime , up to about 19 miles for my long run , 

seems a bit quiet on this thread , surely there must be loads signed up ?

• Evening all

Just found this thread and thought I'd jump in

Hoping for a nice damp dull day on the flat course to finally trouble my PB a bit

How's everyone's training going???

• Hello all, blimey, it's been a while and I'm behind.

Looks like everyones sorted for travel and accomodation etc.

Still not sure if I'm doing this, as we're moving from Netherlands to South Africa in October, probably the week before the marathon.  It would be weird not being there this year!

Oh and yes Weedy, Comrades went well.  Bloomin baking hot and long but we did it (which was a blessing when only 51% of entrants crossed the finish line!)  As we're in South Africa.... Maybe again next year!???image

• Hello everyone. Been good to read the posts in this thread with the various tips. First marathon for 2 years so here we go. I'm following the P&D 12 week sub 55m schedule - in case anyone else is contemplating a 17 miler this weekend!

• Had a shocker in Edinburgh in May.  Tore a thigh muscle round about 19 miles and hobbled for the next 7 - according to the physio it was probably already torn and 19miles just made it worse, then keeping going for another 7 was just plain stupid.

I've been suffering from ITB syndrome since (who knows if it's related or not?), so took a month or so off and started again 3 weeks ago.  Slowly getting back in to it - 16miles tomorrow which will make 33miles this week.  Plus lots of stretching and gym work.  Made up my own schedule which peaks at 20miles long/42miles total.

I'm hoping I'll be ready in time for Amsterdam but not hopeful for a PB (3.57).  Still going even if I'm not running.

• I'm in for this, am I right in thinking it's eight weeks this Sunday? I've run it once before in 2010.  Got our flights and accommodation booked a while ago so now it's just a case of getting the training miles in and staying injury free!

Got a half marathon on Sunday that will hopefully give me a good idea of where my training is at.

Good luck with the 16M tomorrow SweatySock!

• It is 8 weeks on Sunday... I started to panic when I read that.  Another beer methinks.

• Eight weeks is ages, we're only half way through training. 

Beer is carbs so you'll be all fuelled up from tomorrow image

• Er.. I only started training 3 weeks ago, so technically I'm only about a quarter of my way through training.

And the good thing about doing my long tomorrow is that I have the whole weekend to drink even more beer and not have to worry about a long run.  At which point the beer turns to beer belly.

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

8 weeks to go !  that means 5 weeks of training before the ttaper ,creeps up too fast , my preparation was fine untill a few weeks ago when the niggles started

done my first 20 miler and felt very stiff afterwards so ordered some new trainers think they are worn out.

hope to do another long one tomorrow but now back is hurting so will see how I feel in the morn 

carrot good luck with the half , where is it?

sweatysock sounds like you at a horror in Edinburgh , I know the feeling , I tore a quad   Muscle once , fully recovered from it as well 

good luck everyone else with their long ones this wweekend 

• 16 hilly miles around West Lancs completed no problem.  18 next week then 4 weeks of 20 should hopefully get me ready in time.

For now, sit back and relax and hope for some sun over the next couple of days.

And some beer.

• H - congratulations, that's fantastic image

Hope everyone had/has a good run this weekend

• Well on the 16 SweatySock, enjoy the rest of your weekend....

Doing Fleetwood HM Dean. Hoping it's not windy tomorrow! The first 20M usually tires my legs out too.  New trainers are always good image

• I'll be at Fleetwood tomorrow aswell Carrot. Forecast doesn't look too bad if we can believe it. Looks like the evil wind might stay away and not too hot or humid

Hope you have a good run

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Evening all, would anyone know anyone who is selling an entry for Amsterdam by any chance? Really keen to get a flat 26.2 done in Oct!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Or you could just enter online?

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Agree with WIB - just enter online? alternatively - frankfurt is the week after and also flat

• SlinkzSlinkz ✭✭✭

Ah sorry, I didn't even think to see if the online entries were still open - id assumed they'd be closed/full.

Thanks and maybe see you there

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Hope everyone had good runs this weekend 

how did you both go at fleet wood ?

decided not to bother with a half in the buildup this time , but managed 18 miles today in my new trainers , what a difference felt good and looking forward to 22 miler next Sunday 

• I had a bit of a shocking race at Fleetwood yesterday, I don't race well in the heat and foolishly didn't adjust my target before the race started.  Last 7 miles were tough, no target hit, no PB, finished 1:33:xx.  Can't all go right...  How did you get on Frazerelli?

Well done on the 18 miles Dean! A good test run of the trainers too.  Are you going to try and keep them for Amsterdam?  

• GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Managed 17 miles yesterday, was going to do 18 but flunked after upping the pace at 13 miles. I managed 20 last week. Hoping to go for 3:15/3.20.

Flights booked but still need to sort accommodation out. Which areas of Amsterdam have good transport links to and from the start/finish? I do not know the city well as only been there once before on a drunken barge trip, all I can remember was Anne Frank's house and a pleasure cruise on the waterways.

• I seem to recall (I too was very drunk) that Amsterdam has an excellent tram system.

I'll be going via Central Station on the morning of the race - 3 trams or 2 trams and a 1mile walk from Zuid.  The day before I'll be going straight from the airport to the Expo by train (Zuid again).

Loads of info here http://www.tcsamsterdammarathon.nl/en/transportation/

• GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Thanks Sweatysock - think I will book a room in a hotel at the airport and get a 24 hour pass as I have to be back at work 9am on the Monday.