Time to step out and declare my tri ambitions

After a decade of jet setting around the world with work I woke up in a distant airport realising that I was going to fat and forty within a month. The forty part I wasn't too worried about but where did my 30's go ? Probably left in lost property in some far flung hanger aircraft hanger.

i started running - it was accessible where ever I was. I was a swimmer in my teens and had a relatively unused mountain bike in the garage.

Progressing from 20second lung busting efforts that left me dizzy for days I crept through 5k, 10k and did my first half marathon within 7 months of starting out. I lost around 2 stone in weight and shared a world record time with Paula Radcliffe - OK she did the full marathon distance & I completed my first half !

The local sports centre was training an aquathon, so thought why not. Loads of novice mistakes my transition time actually slower than my swim time. Plus I went wrong so 5k ended up as a 7k run. I came dead last but loved it.

Next stop triathlon on the mountain bike, I had to wait until my next birthday for a road bike.

In the last 5 years I have run 3 marathons - slowly, running is my nemesis. Or maybe the beer stop at mile 22 of London doesnt help image And competed in triathlons upto Olympic distance. Best finish 3rd in age group at Bristol last year image I don't often trouble the podium but do enjoy myself and yet to see a race pic that I'm not smiling in. 

So why my interest in the Pirates ? Well I have been watching and waiting in the sidelines not feeling ready to jump in until I've committed to the big one. I'm doing my first middle distance - Challenge Henley Half in Sept. I have already entered ironmanuk70.3 for next year and just waiting for ironmanuk Bolton to open. Booked accommodation already.

I am also a bit of a forum novice - this is the first one I have ever posted to. But I hope that alongside training I can gain some tips, take and give some banter and would be proud to wear the yellow pirate kit - my favourite colour.

Redstripe is my Runners World profile but some of you may know me as Zoe Forman in twitter worunder hoping I'll be accepted into the PSOF and look forward to meeting many of you in person at unit and small event over the next year before the bygone in Bolton.

I will head back to the kit page

Comments