Abuse when running!

I was running in London after work one night last week doing the normal 7.5m route starting along the South bank, Generally running past hundreds of walkers/ holiday makers etc etc no problems at all... until i came up behind one guy ran past no worries no where near him to suddenly hear him shouting abuse at me saying mind theres people walking along here (not quite so politely) bearing in mind i was literlly no where near him, I could understand if id brushed past him .. anyway i turn around again to see him trying to run after me so i carried on and just said to myself if you ran abit maybe you wouldnt be not far off 20stone!! Needless to say he didnt try catching me for long image 

Has anyone else had any similar experiences?

Comments

• Yes. It often happens to runners.

The lardy and the chavvy apparently find us an enormous threat.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I find it's worse in the late evenings than at any other time.  I don't often run late but on the rare occasion when I'm out at say 10pm I often get abuse.  It can range from the hilariously funny "Run, Forrest, run" or "Run, fat boy, run" to the not so hilarious issue of people throwing things at me from fast moving cars (I've had coke cans and an egg thrown at me in the past).  I used to retaliate but I don't bother now; I find ignoring the chavs is the best policy.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Had a bottle of water thrown at me from a car only the weekend before last.  +1 for trying to ignore them.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Those fatties aren't as jolly as they are made out to be!

• Had that sort of issue once from a bunch of young lads. I stopped walked towards them and eye balled the lad who shouted w@nker asked him to repeat what he said. silence then I told him that I remember my first beer as well. His mates laughed which helped but I would have had no issues in going toe to toe with the punk! They must think most runners are of slim build where as I fit more in to the ex army 14st rugby player.

I wouldn't recommend the above action, I wasn't hacing the best day and the chump made me ruin and stop and possible PB run. In hind sight if that happend again now I would have just carried on.

• Kritter exactly the reason i didnt stop .. losing time haha! I very nearly did just turn around and chase him back but I just could not be bothered with the little fatty!! image

• Only once - someone made as if to trip me up (I was going at a fair old lick for a change), which had the effect of making me stumble to try to avoid him. He got a few names hurled in his direction, but discretion was the better part of valour so I ran on...

• A couple of years ago i ran up this street past some young lads and they shouted the normal run forest stuff.......I ignored them!

Any way 3-4 mile later i run down the same street and i get pelted with fur cones....little buggers were hiding behind the bushes!!!!!

Apart from that, nothing...touch wood!

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

at least fur cones are soft.

• luckily, I can run mostly over hilly heathland so the chavvy and the lardy don't go there!image

• I've only had things shouted out car windows a couple times in the last 5 years, mostly don't even hear what was said so just ignore.  Luckily never had anything thrown at me.  Have had a couple funny friendly remarks such as "I wish I had that kind of energy" and as I run with my dog on a hands free lead and she always takes the lead "hey that's cheating" image

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    I tend to just snap the necks and throw them in the nearest river. It's the humane solution.
  • If you run along the Southbank then you are likely to be running among 100s of people in a capital city. A bit like people who run on the main promenade in Brighton. You are better off running somewhere quieter and with far less people. If you run amongst the many then don't be too surprised if you encounter the odd arsehole. 

• This is why I like my headphones on and music playing, I can't make out any possible insults image

• Yes - had stones thrown at me and and rude comments as I passed.  Luckily now I'm so slow people don't realise I'm meant to be running - they just think I have a rather unfortunate walking gaitimage.

• kaffeegkaffeeg ✭✭✭

I had someone offer me a crispy creme doughnut when running along the south bank one afternoon.  Nearly accepted. 

• I was once offered a can of (full sugar) coke by some chavvy school girls eating fish and chips at lunch time.

Girl: You look thirsty - here do you want this can?

Me: Not really.

Girl (in pursuit up street): Here, go on (pause) I'll sell it to you for a quid!!!

Me (slowing down): You want a pound for a can of coke you got free in a meal deal????? FFS I can go to the shops and buy one myself for less.

Girl: Go On then.

Me: Thanks, can I get on with my run now imageimage!!!

Very strange behaviour, but gotta admire the opportunist capitalism I suppose image.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

kaffeeg wrote (see)

I had someone offer me a crispy creme doughnut when running along the south bank one afternoon.  Nearly accepted. 

That's not abuse! That's great.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

I don't mind the odd funny comment like "Give me a piggy back, will ya?", or "Corr, you're doing well. I stuggle walking up here!".  It makes me smile and I usually try and offer something witty or self-deprecating back as a reply, depending on if I'm on a speed session (i.e., I'm knackered) or just out for an easy run.  If I'm knackered, I know I may come across as rude which isn't my intention but I usually try and grunt something (unintelligable?) back or at least offer a half wave.

I quite often get kids jogging after me, or intentionally trying to run quicker than me but I think that's all in good humour.  Chucking stuff isn't though, and is potentially dangerous really particularly when thrown from cars.

OT really, but I get annoyed with the owners of dogs that aren't on a lead.  Only yesterday, a little terrier of some sort came running very quickly up to me whilst barking its head off and attempting to bite me, whilst its owner was sat smirking on a bench drinking what looked like Special Brew.

• Most folk OK.

Living in a rural area, if a car driver honks, it's usually because they know you.image

Occ "funny" comment (generally from those more lardy then me)

One (female) driver (without dipped headlights) stopped to tell me I shouldn't be running with this weather (a bit foggy and windy) - I ran on - she was going in the opposite direction.image

One young male driver yelled to me that I was running on the wrong side of the road (facing oncoming traffic as recommended in Highway Code.image

Once when running ahead of a blind runner and his guide (as advance warning and protection) the driver deliberately drove at me and huled abuse.image

I loved the comment from a 5y old girl to her dad as I dragged my way through the 26th mile - "He's going awfully slowly" (it was trueimage)

I generally raise my hand to thank drivers who pull out to give a good clearance which is usually reciprocated.image

• Have only had abuse when running at night 8pm+, usually "run fatty run", "Can't you go any faster?" ect  Usually ignore it as it's not worth the hassle and you never know if it's some nut job looking for a fight.

• Rarely get abuse but all jokes aside I used to play rugby and look like it even through got to much of a belly at the moment.

Once had a rather overweight bloke shout at me at some traffic lights when on the bike "your wasting your time mate" I actually loved it as just set off to go to trentham for a triathon first ever half ironman and for me I kicked bottom riding there did the race and got the train back.

It motivated me all weekend afraid I never saw the t*sser again so couldn't point out who was really wasting there time shouting abuse of people. image

• Had headphones in the other night, and went past a group of young lads. As it happened the music I was listening to was between tracks, so I saw and heard one of them say really loudly "look at that dickhead, thinks he's going fast."

So I just turned, took out my headphones and jogged over to him, asking "I'm sorry lad, didn't quite catch what you said - what was it again?"

Absolutely bricked himself. Didn't utter another word.

His mates absolutely crucified him.

Some serious pricks around. Had a lit fag flicked at me from a car a few months back, which narrowly missed my eye. A couple of kids deliberately screeched their bikes to a halt to block the pavement I was running on recently. went round them and introduced them to some choice rude words as I passed.

• Big_G wrote (see)

I don't mind the odd funny comment like "Give me a piggy back, will ya?", or "Corr, you're doing well. I stuggle walking up here!".  It makes me smile and I usually try and offer something witty or self-deprecating back as a reply, depending on if I'm on a speed session (i.e., I'm knackered) or just out for an easy run.  If I'm knackered, I know I may come across as rude which isn't my intention but I usually try and grunt something (unintelligable?) back or at least offer a half wave.

I quite often get kids jogging after me, or intentionally trying to run quicker than me but I think that's all in good humour.  Chucking stuff isn't though, and is potentially dangerous really particularly when thrown from cars.

OT really, but I get annoyed with the owners of dogs that aren't on a lead.  Only yesterday, a little terrier of some sort came running very quickly up to me whilst barking its head off and attempting to bite me, whilst its owner was sat smirking on a bench drinking what looked like Special Brew.

That drives me to distraction, re the dogs.

I have had a yappy, snappy terrier come hurling for my ankles when running one time, the owner and a few others standing around seemed to think it was highly amusing.  I was very concerned it was going to actually bite me though and if it had, I am not sure they would have been laughing after I annihilated their pooch - and I like dogs!!

Some people have mentioned they have had stuff thrown at them from moving cars this is so dangerous it is beyond stupid.  Even if they were to through a small item, such as an apple, along with the speed they threw it, coupled up with the speed the car is going, could cause the victim to get knocked out.

Are some people really so stupid, it defies belief image

• Yeah Lotus Flower - some people really are that stupid - or they think they are in a video game and there is no consequence to their actions image.

I used to live and run in a really rough part of Glasgow, often came under attack from gangs of neds throwing stones - it was all just a big game for them, if you retaliated with violence they saw that as some kind of victory because they had gotten attention out of it. It was pathetic.

I found part of the problem (and also the solution) was they weren't used to adults talking to them, or having any kind of interaction with them - so you were just a target, like a psychopath has no emotional connection to their victims. I was walking across my scheme alone one night and saw a bunch of youths 'pretend' gang fighting, throwing stones at each other and swinging sticks, and I had to walk right through the middle of them to get to my house. One ran toward me with the stick above his head and began to swing - I pointed and started to laugh and said 'Alright mate, I know you, you live across there with your mother and sister' - He totally stopped in his tracks, shocked, turned and went back to his friends. If I had been a stranger I probably would have got my head caved in.

Now I live in a much nicer area with lots of runners, safety in numbers image. I left the drug dealers and scum bags to it.

• Sad reading this thread image  I live in a rural area and have recieved very little abuse whilst out running.  I have had the odd 'run faster' yelled at me from the odd chav but nothing some of the abuse people have received.  I guess it just reflects our current society!!  

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

The worst I get is giggles and laughter from groups of youngsters - and, as I have an *economical* running style with little foot lift, I daresay it's justified.  Friends commented on the same aspect 26 years ago.

I avoid confrontation: I can never know what my tormentor may be carrying. image  Best way ever is running on Crosby Beach in Antony Gormley's 'Another Place' - not one of the hundred Iron Men has said a word in 9 years!

• Very rarely bothered by comments, although one young pisshead did kindly invite me to suck his cock as he staggered drunkenly across my path one evening. He was told to go suck it himself.

I'm more bothered by drivers reversing at speed off their drives towards me, or small bitey dogs jumping up at me. A few years ago I was nipped quite badly on the ankles by a terrier in the park, whose owner was quite adamant her dog would never bite anyone. Until she saw my bloody shredded socks, at which point she picked up the dog and legged it!