Sunday 25th August 2013

Morning.

Lyrics -  Thank you ma'am for asking

Very curious as to that edit OH............

Blisters - you must be tapering now? Hope the bike is ok. My peak flow is still down a little after exercise, I have a red and swollen calf where I was bitten by something on Friday and for some reason the OW swim yesterday adversely affected my eyes to the extent that one was gunked shut this morning, oh and I'm still wearing trainers in the house to protect my foot - but other than that pretty much back to as full health as I usually enjoy image

Hope Paddy is going well.

What:                just 2 - 3 hours on the bike or turbo
Why:                 big bike day is tomorrow/not sure I can put contacts in
Last hard:         getting warm after my swim
Last rest:          4/8

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• Just beaten to it by you LMHimage

Lyrics: Yes

Yesterdays lyrics were 'Fields of Gold' by Sting and also by Eve.

I'll save todays lyrics for another day

What: Rest Day

Cracking sunny start to the day up here, been outw alking Geordie.

• LMH: 'Havering' means 'talking nonsense'.image

Just reading back yesterdays thread.

• Thanks birks. Grey, windy and threatening to rain here - not as forecast!

• I thought "havering" was not being able to make up one's mind. Clearly, that's not the definition adopted by The Proclaimers.

LMH, for me to be in tapering it would imply that I've been in peak training. Nothing is further from the truth. I've been tapering since Christmas. I've considered tapering the alcohol consumption, but haven't really done that either. That's down a bit from peak training though. My "programme" hasn't majored on volume, just on the building up of individual disciplines.
    Bike: Got up to 100 miles, and have done a few at 80. Yesterday was in the 50's.
    Run: Got up to a marathon by April, and have aimed to do a 20 each month. No speed work, just grey zone during the week (8m/m) at anything from 6 to 15 miles. I guess that I need a 10 to 15 miler today.
    Swim: Now this one I am very happy with. Even if I get the 'flu next week I'll have achieved something from this. From zero to IM distance OW without wettie in fresh water. Breathing both sides. Initial fears were not making the cut off (2hour), but now I'm forecasting 1:45 down even to 1:30. Better still, there's the potential for knocking 15 minutes off that with proper teaching/coaching.

One more thing.

GO PADDY GO!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Greetings,

all the best to the racers today, I'm off to recce my leg of the Test way Relay today with a mate, so doing his leg too... should be about 13.5m in total

Yesterday was good other than the result, we lost 3-1, but Jnr enjoyed it. He also got 5th at Wimbledon Parkrun in 18:17 and I got 18th in 19:22

As always Take Care

• Morning

What 21ish with faster bits
    Why LSR
    Lyrics No

Nice result from RFJ Jnr.

Starting to panic about the lack of speedwork as August is turning out to be a bit of a dogs dinner as far as my training plan is concerned. However, 21.54 with miles 16 to 21 attempted at target MP seems to have turned a corner. all will be revealed at Maidenhead HM in 2 weeks time.

• "I thought "havering" was not being able to make up one's mind. Clearly, that's not the definition adopted by The Proclaimers." (Blisters)

Likewise - I had posted a definition of havering as such (dithering, indecisive) but then realised this was not the use by the Proclaimers (and BM) hence the blank edited comment. (You're a curious lot!)

What: Missing out on a OW swim in the Gloup (sea cave) as I am on callimage
    Why: Boatman switched event to Sunday due to weather (Lovely today, not nice yesterday)
    Last Hard: see above
    Last rest: Thursday
    Lyrics: no

• Blisters - it sounds as though you're ready! That is great progress with the swimming, it sounds as though this may not be your one and only IM?

OH - shame to miss a swim in the gloop. How are the ribs now?

postie - I hope you've found your speed.

If I do decide/organisers are happy with me to start Almere I'll have an Abingdon place going spare - anyone looking for one?

Two hours on the turbo for me this morning. Heart, head and legs not really interested but the box is ticked. Not looking forward to tomorrow's big day out but it's the last long session and needs to be done.

• Ribs not feeling too bad.
    Swimming - Judging from AIS data, it looks like Plan B went into action (Copinsay - an island 2 miles off mainland Orkney) maybe too much swell to get into Gloup safely. Copinsay would have been good too but this probably means there be another opprtunity for the Gloup before the summer is over ...image

/members/images/456406/Gallery/copinsay2508.png

Hey RW has fixed image uploading direct image

• Meanwhile back at the Oval: cricket getting interesting even exciting in the last hours of last match of series ...imageimageimageimage

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hiya, 

what: easy run for me, 4.2miles 
    why - all I had time for, lots of family/house stuff got in the way of a long run.
    last rest - 16 days
    last hard - Thursday

lyric - nope
    OH - yep cricket getting exciting. Decent of the aussies for declaring though, at least it makes it interesting now...

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice run out along the Test Way today with a mate, doing legs 7 and 8 as a long run for a recce of the relay in a few weeks, 12.68m in 1:51:51 with a few stops to check where we were etc.

Take care

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

At last have managed to change my pic!

What: zero
    Why: sore legs, especially one hip. Lots of walking yesterday plus 25 mins hilly run.

Lyrics: no

Cricket: We woz robbed (by the regulations)!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Just home after a long day. Not a great race for me today swim wise. Still finished though. I'll give details tomorrow. For now I'm going for  a jar!!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Was wondering where you were Paddy! Enjoy the black stuff and look forward to the report!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Alehouse - to be fair, the Aussies didn't really deserve a defeat.
    What, a new picture ?! image
    Have RW actually fixed a website glitch? Are we able to upload Avatars again?

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

OH: have been trying to upload my new avatar for months and I was suddenly able to do it today...tried when I noticed you mentioned about RW fixing image uploading direct.
    And re the cricket, I would have been quite happy to see an Aussie win today: cricket itself was the loser due to some poor regulations. I'm not sure whether it is true or not but I was told that they would not have gone off at OT as the lights are so much better.

• LMH

Abingdon Marathon? 20 October 2013? Me please, me please!

A quick check of dates, and a bit of a thought about it, and yes, I do believe I'll be up for it. Always providing that they allow swaps (I am willing to pay the entry fee again as an admin charge). I've checked their transfer policy, and it's OK until the end of September.
    However, I didn't see anyone with the surname "Happy".

Training: no run (call me a wimp), but an hour's beasting in the pool.

• If I recall correctly, the last time that a Test team made an honourable declaration in order to make a match of it, that particular team went on to lose. It was close though. Right up to the point when Hanse Cronje was investigated for match rigging and was found guilty.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

An interesting point, Blisters! I wonder what odds there were on an England win before play this morning...and how many relieved bookmakers there are this evening!
    Abingdon! Time to fit in a few long runs in just in case!

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

12.6 miles this morning, 8 min pace in hot sunshine.  Lovely! image