Starting again from the beginning!

Comments

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Another 3 miles clocked this morning, very warm out there now. 

August 31.55 miles

2013 – 370.51

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Welcome  Becky and good luck with starting again from the beginning.

Yes Just Run I am taking a few days off - my long Sunday run proved I need a little time off - went out for a two lap 15 and after feeling pants for the first 7 I stopped off at home to take the life giving waters that is the Tesco value energy replacement drink and after a further 100 metres turned round and went home.  Time for a break!!!

• Back from holiday so out for a run this morning, WK3-R1 completedimage

welcome here Beckyimage

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Good on you Grendel. I remember going for a 12/13 mile run a few years ago, 3 mile into it i was feeling awful. I plugged on, dragged myself through it and for the following couple of weeks had nothing in my legs. I asked an experienced runner at work if it had ever happened to him, which it had. He said he simply stopped and walked home. A lesson learned, enjoy the rest. 

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Welcome back Kevin. Hope you had a nice break. 

Bought a book at the weekend, 50 walks in Devon. Thought i would plan some multi terrain trail runs, its full of promising routes. We took the kids for the "buzzards walk" which is a 3 1/2 mile route through woodland and along tracks, through meadows, up an ancient rocky road and a well earned jaffa cake! Couple of short, steep inclines and a perfect training run for the future. 

• sounds wonderful JR! image

Well done everyone on all your latest. Ive been reading but not posting for a bit, might try and head out tonight for a bit to test the legs out

• Everyone's doing lots of lovely running - me included! I did week 6, run 2 today and found it a bit of a struggle but I put that down to doing it as my route home from work instead of first thing in the morning. I have new physio exercises too which are making my ankle a bit ouchy, but I know that'll pass in a week or so. 

JR, I was considering some trail running too over Hampstead Heath but am undecided. Am not sure if I'd be tempting fate with the ankle or if I can afford some trail trainers...

• Well done Becky on getting back into the running!

Welcome back from your holiday Kevin, hope it was a good one!

Rest up Grendel, it may just be enough to make your next run great!

JR that sounds like a good idea on the walk book! Enjoy exploring the new routes!

Well I didn't manage a long run on Sunday as I was out all day at the family fun day at hubbys cricket club. But I still worked my lungs on the bouncy castle lol! Out all day yesterday too, really couldn't be bothered today, but actually managed to drag myself out for a 6mile run, on a very hilly route, in the hot sun. So now feeling pleased as I was so close to 'putting off and going tomorrowimage '...image

• Hello all!

its great to hear from everyone again.

good hol Kev? Well done on wk3.

Grendel, I reckon with 1200m under your belt, the odd day off is allowed.  Marathon Talk talks about 'getting your running mojo back'...

JR, I've basically been running the Devon walks that I know too.  My sister txt me this morning to say that her trail magazine rated Fernwerthy Reservoir as one of the top 10 trail runs.  Might have to give it a go.

Becky - well done on wk6, stick with it and the physio.  How hard are the trails around the Heath?

managed 8m on Sunday, got lost and almost ended up near Kes Tor.  Needless to say, there were hills.  Today, I stuck to a more known route and ran 6m.  Feeling it in my calves already, should be I interesting tomorrow image

i know exactly how you feel Lisa, the only reason I went out today was because Mr Neez poured a glass of wine and said smugly that he was allowed a rest day as he went out on Sunday and Monday, the old reverse psychology chestnut!

Happy running people

• Yeah, holoday was great thanks for asking guys, plenty of beer drinking (prob too much) to be honest, BBQ, and fish & chips

Felt it though when running (bit slugish).image

• Hey folks image

Went out last night and thought I would open the taps a bit as I havnt really been running much of late.

Took on the route I did when I first started out about 2 years a go. When I first started I walked this hilly 4 mile beast and it would take me just over an hour. Last night I did it in 37:38!!! image Really chuffed with that!

For those who like the stats and all that... http://connect.garmin.com/activity/366211720

Not bad for a long distance slowpoke eh? image

Milo - 240.46

• Nice running B2b

Good to see you out and about againimage

• Thanks Kev felt good to run fast for a bit image

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Well done B2B just shows this resting lark pays off!!! So much so that after 2 days rest I went out and jogged a mile this morning - no pressure just eyeballs out all the way!!!! I'll teach this old body to let me down Sunday!!!!!

• ha ha ha thats what I did on the 4 image

• Lol Gammi! Sometimes the psychology of running is harder than the physicality of it!

Well done on your hilly run B2B!

Lol Grendel!

Another 5miles for me today...paced it really well again, no rushing at the start. Felt really good! Pleased image No running allowed until Sunday now as I am doing the Great London swim on Saturday (providing it's not cancelled like the East was), as I don't want to risk any injuries. Nervous as I've no support with me as all family and friends are otherwise engagedimage

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Depending on the state of the trails Becky, your road shoes might be fine. I wear Brooks Cascadia which are equally at home on the road or trail. I know what you mean about running after work, as I just did! Missed my early morning start today so went out after cycling home. Heavy, tired legs and a not too pleasant run if I’m honest. Only really got going in the last mile.

Good on you Lisa. I wasn’t too keen on going today once I’d missed the early run but after seeing all the runs posted on here got my lazy arse out the door. You’ll have plenty of support around you in the water. They may not be cheering your name but use the crowd to your advantage.

Gammineez, going to google Fernwerthy Reservoir. My wife and I are running alternate days at the moment, putting just enough pressure on each other to get out there.

Kev, the sluggish feeling will go soon. Stick with it, sounds like we went on a similar holiday as far as the beer and fish and chips go.

B2B, nice running! What a difference a rest makes eh? You’ll need to adjust your running paces nowimage

Grendel……rest! Lol , that’ll teach it!

Right, as I said I missed my alarm this morning so went after work. Heavy, tired legs weren’t too chuffed about the whole thing and I really didn’t settle until well into the last of four miles. All done now though and glad I went.

August 35.57 miles

2013 – 374.53

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

4000 posts up!!!! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

• Grendel3Grendel3 ✭✭✭

Who'd have thought 4000 posts eh?

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Thought this thread would get me back on track Grendel. Thought it might help me out the door as I got back into it. Didn't think for one minute almost 2 1/2 years and 4000 posts later I would still be logging on. Thanks to good people like yourself running has remained a part of my life and I think my love of running now runs so deep it always will. There are times when I slack off and wonder if I really want to set that alarm or use up my Sunday morning again when I could have my feet up in the garden but there is something about running where there is always unfinished business. A new route to run, a new pb at a new distance. New people to meet, on here and at races. The constant battle with the British weather. 

Long may it (and this thread) continue image

• Just Run,

Thanks for the words of encouregment mate, hope you had a good holiday as well.

4000 posts Wow!!

WK3-R2 completedimage

I have startrd to use the rolling pin on my calves regular before a run to try to warm up the muscles then I'll do stair drop for 1 min to stretch the calves out.

After every run repeat the above + stretch the quads and hamstings for 1 min each muscle group.

Dont know if its actually doing anything, But if it keeps me injury free then all well and good.

Please feel free guys to add your thoughts,comments or try it for yourself and see what you thinkimage

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

Hi Kev, i have tried various stretching routines. I find dynamic sttetches before a run helpful. If youre still feeling abit tight stop and static stretch 5 or 10 minutes into a warm up. Static stretches after (plus stair drops for my achilles) and squats on non running days. i'm not as religious with my stretching like i used to be but recognise now that it helps. Hip flexors are an issue too but like most things i wait for the problem then fix it rsther than keeping it away in the first place. I will learn! 

• well said JR! This thread has and will continue to be an inspiration for a long time yet! imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

The rolling pin is great after a run. I dont tend to do anything before I set off just some stretches as JR said at some point in the run.

Out with Mummysaurus tonight for another sub 50 5k! Well done you worked hard tonight! 

2013 - 492.77

Milo - 243.56

• Yeah im sure you guys mentioned static stretching before, but l keep reading not to stretch cold muscles as it can do more harm than good.

I saw a youtube video recommend the rolling pin in favour of cold stretching. 

• Morning all

I am back having survived Zante !! Havent been on the scales yet but can tell I have put on weight

Had a good break but come back to a credit card bill like the national debt !!

Had a scan through the posts - doesn't time fly you all seem to be doing so well !! Hopefully I will be back out Monday

• kev - JR mentioned Dynamic stretches before the run and static during as your muscles will then be warm image Dynamic stretching is mainly natural movment based; swinging a leg etc... a brisk walk works pretty well while waving your arms around 

• Hey folks just found this in another thread and thought I would pass it on...

http://www.jissn.com/content/8/1/12

Its a lot of reading but the genral gist is about not eating before running as it causes the blood to be diverted away from the other organs resulting in the trots, sickness and all that jazz. Its known as "Splanchnic Shunt". 

Might help to answer questions that a lot of us have about what and when to eat. image