Monday 26th August 2013

Morning.

Lyrics - Save some face, you know you've only got one.

Blisters - they allow transfers, there is an official waiting list but as I don't want to commit to not using it until Almere I thought I'd ask here first so that someone could put some training in if they wanted to do it - unlike me which is why I'll let it go. I've lost too much running time to do it justice.

Paddy - hope you enjoyed refuelling. Looking forward to the report.

What:              six hour bike/twenty minute run
Why:               last big one
Last hard:       I expect this will be
Last rest:        4/8

Yesterday's lyrics were Fragile Thing by Big Country.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning LMH.  Just beat me to it.

What: think I'll do my long run today.  Not sure how far though.
    Why: Have a 5km on Sat and want freshish legs
    Last hard: the 9 hours of train to get back yesterday.
    Lyrics: nope

Have a good one.

• Morning

Just beaten to it again by you LMH

The sunrise is now about 6am up here.

What: 4.5M Off road

Why: Going off road while the mornings are still light.

Back later.

• Just watched the stage 2 cycling highlights from Tour of Spain on eurosport,

Great win by Roche.

• From the Oxford Dictionary - how very posh and academic image

Definition of haver in     English haver Pronunciation: /??he??v??/

Translate haver | into Italian verb [no  object]
    • 1Scottish talk foolishly; babble:Tom havered on
    • 2British act in a vacillating or indecisive manner: (as  noun havering)she was exasperated by all this havering
    noun [mass noun] (also havers) Scottish
    • foolish talk; nonsense.
    Origin:

early 18th century: of unknown origin

• I might start doing a 'Scottish word of the day'.

donaldo: Is this a good idea ?image

• Make a bad start in football, tennis, rugby, etc and you can come back - have a bad start in a triathlon and the race can be over before it starts - yep that's what can happen.

Lined up at the start  - Very tightly packed in my wave. Horn went and caught me little by surprise but nonetheless I started swimming my Livin best!!!. Then bang a punch in the back of the head put me unexpectedly under the water. This seemed to whip the breath from me and give me a bit of a shock. Stopped me dead in me tracks!!! Not good when there was a marauding gang quite willing to swim over me as though I wasn't there. Thanks to a canoe marshal I got a chance to draw my breath for a few minutes - yeah minutes - It took that long. I got going again with breast stroke for a bit but eventually got swimming properly. On my own of course at this stage as everyone was gone up the river!!!!

Once into my rhythm things started to go fairly well and at the turnaround I was passing fella's for fun. Quite close to the end though got a bad cramp in my calf - again this stopped me in my tracks for a while - another minute or so holding onto some woman's canoe with her trying to pull back my toes as I stuck my leg out of the water - a sight to behold I swear with me screaming in pain like a banshee!!

Got to the exit pontoon and after another impromptu set of calf cramp treatment got up and headed for the bike. My surprise that the wave set 30  minutes behind me was just starting meaning that I was out in 30 minutes flat - My target was 24-25 minutes and that was on for sure!! So I lost 5-6 minutes or so with my water drama!! 

The Bike course was a "technical" 5 lap course and it went well - no calf pain. Overtook plenty. The course was crowded but well marshalled. Finished the Cycle in 1.10 which for the course I was happy with. The Run was the run - mostly on grass - didn't go "all out" but still passed a good few. Calf was beginning to hurt.

Finished in 2.23 which I was very disappointed with. The course though was not the fastest as times right up through the field suggest.

Perusal of the results leaves me about 4 minutes and 50 seconds behind my category winner. This was the national championships and before the race I honestly felt that I had a chance in my category........................ 

Now, I know I'm beginning to sound like David O'Leary when he was Leeds Manager with excuses but that's what happened - not good!!

I have a sprint triathlon next Saturday, Calf allowing!

I had an easy swim this morning to ease out the legs and don't feel too bad. Off to see the fella who stabs me with his fingers and elbows on Thursday!!

LMH - all the best for todays efforts!

I see yesterday's lyrics were very apt for me!!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Afternoon.  18 very slow miles done, with a bit of walking up the hills.  It was very warm and windy and I think the travelling yesterday had taken it out of me a bit.  Anyway, 18 miles is 18 towards the marathon effort.  Now back to work.

• paddy: That's a great race description/report. Sorry that you never did as well as you'd hoped to.

'David O'Leary at Leeds'image

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

hi all, 
    Paddy - well done on toughing it out
    Emz - good long stuff
    Ale/Blisters - England were 200/1 before the off yesterday, and have to say it was good of the aussies to make a game of it.

what - lots of gradening, maybe a run later
    why - priorities
    last rest - couple of weeks ago
    last hard - Thursday's hills...

lyric - yes indeedy

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Paddy well done yesterday.  Sounds like you gave it your all and a couple of mishaps made the race not quite as you'd have liked it.  Hope the calf is ok for Saturday.

• Paddy, on some days the race goes to plan. On other days it just goes to pot. But you are right, you can't win in running or triathlon by a lucky late goal. You know that you have got the form and the potential to take the top step, but what will be, will be. You won't even know it's your day until the end. (I've only once managed an age group win, and I was 5 minutes slower than PB at a HM.)

Training.
    Up at not very early, decided against any breakfast, not even a sip of water. Off for run. I was on great form and enjoyed every step of the 14 miles. Unfortunately I was still 2+ miles from home and I'd not bothered to take any fluids with me. The last 3 miles were mostly uphill and BOOF I just hit the wall. Call it mental exercise, call it training muscles to use glycogen.
    Got in, took dehydration fluids, ate lots of food, had bath, fell asleep until water went cold.
    Now THAT's proper tapering.

• BM "Translate haver | into Italian verb"
    I now get confused as to where the words and expressions that I actually use come from: born in Stockport in an Irish catholic culture, married an NI wife, uni education partly  in St Andrews, most of working life in Orkney.
    Only becomes obvious if I use an Orkney phrase in Stockport and am met with blank faces. Less frequently happens the other way about + Elspeth steadfastly refuses to accept Northern English dialect as having any meaning at all.

We could probably counter your suggestion with "Orcadian word or phrase for the day" (yes we even have our own "peedie" dictionary image)

Paddy you are NOT selling this triathlon concept well (but great account) image

emzap sums up my last Friday's run too!

AH agreed re cricket - the puntors pay the bills and it would have been good to get a sporting finish (not dictated by regulations).
    Clarke, however, did push the umpires at the end despite the earlier "sporting" declaration.

LM.H hope today went well

What: 5.6 miles off road along paths covered in thick grass with Elspeth
    Why: rare day of both off together but not doing too much as next HM on Saturday
    Last Hard: Friday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: as usual

• LMH: I shall keep marathon fit. If you want to race Abo or even just jog round, then fair's fair. The place always was yours. If you want to transfer, I'll give it some justice. I could even think about that 3:15 attempt again, although I now only need 3:20 for a GFA.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

Paddy: at least you know why it wasn't your day! The swim sounds rather a nightmare! Hope calf clears up: unusual that there was a problem with it in the water rather than on the run.

What: 35 mins steady
    Why: gradually  increasing the steady runs. Didn't find it particularly easy, probably as it was 25 degrees, and also I had grafted for as long as Blisters is planning to run a marathon in.

Off to cricket shortly.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Ale - I know - I suppose the calf hasn't been fully right for a while. Hopefully I can get it patched up for Saturday. After that I'm programming in some downtime before my winter training starts. You seem to be progressing nicely!!

• Paddy - I can empathise so much with your bad swim. Sounds as though you recovered and raced well though and that was all that you could do in the circumstances.

What a difference a day makes. Yesterday it took every ounce of willpower I had to get on the turbo and stick with it for two hours, couldn't even talk myself in to going out on the bike. Today - loved every minute, could have happily carried on, couldn't wait for my little run when I got home, and when I did get home a lovely, positive email from the organisers of Almere including the offer of a different coloured swim hat to increase my visibility and my own canoe if I should want it. They want to make a final check with the medical staff who are on holiday until 2nd September but it all sounds good. Let the taper begin image

• LM.H Very positive from Almere: certainly significantly increases the safety margin image

• Afternoon

What nowt
    Why Monday= Day off
    Lyrics No

Stick your name on the Fetchies waiting list anyway Blisters. It would be nice to catch up with you and LMH again.

Well toughed out Paddy.

• LMH - That sounds great. As I said before - you'll be there anyway. Worse thing that'll happen is a lift to shore on a canoe - Organisers of these events have to know what they are doing, particularly the crew on the water. There are one or two races now that I wouldn't have finished only for them. I find their presence alone at times helps.

You're recent episode most likely wont be repeated on race day - that would be lightning striking twice. If it was me my biggest hurdle would be confidence loss - you may be experiencing a bit here, but with you're experiences there shouldn't be.

At Almere, from what I know of it there should be plenty of space around you in the water too which will help.

Now, on the other hand I mightn't know what I'm talking about!!!

• Paddy - with the best will in the world - you don't! image I've had asthma issues in more races than not since it started in 2010, it's just that until Almere in 2011 I had always been able to manage it enough to get out of the swim. Almere is now a Challenge event so with a much bigger field than before and the swim moved to a lake last year so much more of a bunch. It will either happen or it won't - hopefully the latter!

It does indeed OH and of course the more fuss I've made in advance the less likely it is to happen on the day - or that's how these things usually seem to work anyway.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

LMH - that's made my day. Your own colour swim hat and your own canoe marshall, what about that for customer service. Challenge are great as an organisation.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

back again, 
    managed to get out for a tempo run, mile warm up, 6 quite zippy miles then a mile easy to finish. Just over the hour for 8 miles. 
    Nice to get a fast blast done, but was very warm out there....

• Just need the final nod from the medical staff TR and I'm good to go image How did your OW swim go?

• I'm off under my stone!!!!!!!!!!!

• DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

Birkmyre - Scottish word of the day - I like it!  Dunblane was pure hoachin' yesterday in the summer sun.

Just 3.5 miles today inc 6 x 200m with very short recovery.  Not a good session but, hey, at least I got out!

Lyrics - oh aye!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

LMH - hopefully they will give you that nod. Swim was about 40 mins trying to go against the current not being able to see my hands as it was so sandy, and about 5mins going the other direction. Wanted to get out from the first minute, so nothings changed, but then I havnt put my wettie on for 11months so shouldnt expect anything different. Best do it again a few times in the next 3 weeks. Always makes me determined to not give in to it though. The lake will be a lot easier though.

Blisters - I might have a spare ABo number too.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Hi TR

well done Paddy, despite the swim not being the best.

What - 6m with Jnr
    Why - Easy Day
    Last hard - Sat
    Last Rest - Friday

Take care all and have a great week

• TR, I don't intend to run 52.4 miles.
    But keep in touch, LMH is sounding far more positive today.