Options

Oops,my finger just slipped on the "enter Wimbleball" link, should I be scared?

I have entered Wimbleball, are there any other half-ironman first timers on here, who have entered/are planning to?

Comments

• Options

take 5 seconds and look down the threads and im sure you ll find the one that says something like "11 days 21 hours - whos going to wimbleball" theres a clue in the title that it might be worth a readimage

• Options

That was last year DK. There's a new one next year! image

• Options

lol its the fecking title - it doesnt count down image  i even told him it was a shit title last week. my excuses are that its late, im tired, ive had a hard week, i an idiot

but wait if that was last year and theres one next year .....

...what about this yearimage

• Options

I'm in, will be my HIM first time, hopefully Mrs JPG is in too yaay image

Also doing IM next year so hopefully will be fit image

• Options

We can come up with another one , or use this one image.

I find it hard to believe that it's open already , just waiting for the swollen knees to return to normal size, plus a decent amount of time before I breach the subject of doing it all again next year. plus apparently next year it is scheduled for Summerimage

• Options

Tempted, how long does it normally take to sell out?

• Options

It's a great day out !  I think it is selling out quicker each year.

• Options

Hi, there is a real mix of bikes, some TT, some road, some bling and some not so fancy..my advice would be that a road bike is a good choice.  It is pretty hilly, but don't let anything put you off..it's a great atmosphere.

One other bit of advice I would give is to book a hotel / B&B...there is a campsite at wimbleball which is very nice, but conditions can be wet / windy.  If you look now you will get loads of choice.

I live in Taunton, so if nearer the time anyone wants to do a recce of the bike course I would be happy to show you round.

• Options

it's on tv tomorrow morning 0730 channel 4 image.

Its only half of the half hour programme but should get some idea of the race particularly if you go through frame by frame like a sad person I knowimage.

Bring what you are happy with, it is somewhat hilly as you say!

If you have ever been camping , or even if not , this is a fine place to start. Get an air matress a cosy tent and you are good to go, being onsite takes a lot of the travelling stress out of it, it can be a little noisy especially on the Friday. On the night before the race I had to get out out of bed at 1120 ( three hours after going to bed) to ask some supporters to keep it down, they instantly shut up when they realised I was racing and therefore offf the vodka! There are many complaints about queueing to get near the site in the days before and worse on race day, they have ''planned '' road and car park lockdowns and it can get heated. Anyway congrats on entering the most iconic 70.3 in the world , you will love it! 

• Options

We stopped at the Holiday Inn Taunton which is about 45 minutes from the race venue.  It wasn't mega cheap, but they looked after the athletes with a cracking breakfast, even at 3.00am on race morning.  It was also very quiet so able to get a decent nights sleep.

• Options

sleepings over ratedimage

• Options

Starting to feel tempted to enter again !!

• Options

Sleeping may be overrated citizen, but the bacon, eggs, sausages, pancakes with syrup, toast etc.. weren't, they went down a treat.  Maybe this explains why I felt so heavy during the run image

• Options

true, I just felt heavy on the run because I don't train for it and am consequently c**p! A friend stayed in a b & b two years ago and had to pass on the free gin or whisky every day for 3 days - dedication! Mind you he pulled out on the bike so maybe he was down on nutrients!

• Options

I really want to enter, but I need to learn how to swim first. How long did it take to sell out last year?

• Options

Did few in 2011 and am going to be there again for 2014 it's a good race well suited to a road bike.  Camp if you can it was a good laugh last time.  Good atmosphere all round if memory serves.  Good luck guys see you there!!!!

• Options

I was mad enough to enter Wimbleball the day it opened for entries.

not done a middle distance yet but also planning on doing the Big One in Bolton next year too so Wimbleball as a warm up ???

maybe madness who knows. Will see after Henley half in September.

• Options

Is there a list of folks doing Wimbleball?

• Options

I'm thinking about this one as a practice run. Am doing Copenhagen in August so it fits in. Anyone any experience and why do they have to be so expensiveimage Any other ones around that time that are cheaper. Not outlaw

• Options

Hi - I guess this is as good a place as any to introduce myself as a newbie and wannabe pirate! I am also 'Mrs.Blue Steel'

I have entered Wimbleball 2014 and it will be my first half and in fact the first race I have entered so far! I am in over my head having never done any swimming, cycling or running prior to 3mths ago! plus I had a baby 5 1/2months ago...post-natal madness? maybe...excited though image

• Options

Im doing it. Did it last year and ive also entered Bolton.  Its a tough bike course.  I want to beat last years time as my knee was playing up during the run, so I only just made the cut off time... 

• Options

I'm in Wimbleball & Bolton my first full distance. Better get used to hills !