Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Raced Capenhurst 5k last night came 8th, 1st v45 in 16.25 felt like racing for first time in 10 months image

• Great trimester rob. Has it given you a taste for more racing?

14 very easy miles last night came out around 7.30s average. Not bad after back to back hard days and the legs didn't want to go any faster. Nice mini taper for Sunday now before a high mileage week next week on holidays hopefully. 

• Chris - it has given me confidence and I plan to race more and do more consistent speed work 

No after effects from race did 9 mile at 6.34 pace on a hilly route in Anglesey last night image

• That should have been time, not trimester obviously. Unless you are pregnant and I take it all back. Stupid bloody I phone! 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Rob, it's like you only pop on when you're proud of a race time or something image

Seems a right old lull on here at the moment, probably my fault as I've set a bit of a no man's land tone recently!

However, am finding 50-55mile weeks with 1 short reps quality session is a good middle ground at the moment.

Tonight, was the glorious 200s. Nice and short.

Meant to be 12 at 5kpace off 60s, but we all know 400s are hard to keep to 5k pace, let alone 200s!

Therefore, 7x35s and 5x36s felt tidy. Didn't obliterate but gave me a nice burn.

Felt good, and hopefully there's still a chance of a couple of imminent races being an option.

• Stevie I post when I need some advice or if I have positive info as its been a difficult year with injuries I don't want to bore with negative input!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

I do know how you feel Rob, just joshing. Cracking time indeed at the 5k. Must be back to what you consider the real Rob now.

You have a really good scene up north, and I envy the array of decent sounding 5k road races you have up there.

I've moaned before, but we're a bit limited to a London last Friday of the month 5k (25miles away in central London at midday on a Friday...not too handy), and a couple of MT/Undulating summer series!

Oh you have parkruns, but the nearest fast ones are again central London! And they won't always be great standard and count on PO10 as "parkrun" rather than 5k

grrr.

• Cheers Stevie I do feel like things are coming back together image

The plan to run every day seems to be working for me with regard to keeping injuries at bay, may seem unorthodox but ok so far 21 weeks without a rest day ave about 57 miles per week image

I agree with you about good quality 5k's on quick courses up north, I fancy that 5k in Hyde park and plan to do one on a visit to London soon 

• 2 x 2.26 mile runs today 6Am and then 4PM to and from work- Legs feel stiff last few days and took day rest yesterday..

Splits were 12:46 + 13:10

Plan to do park run next saturday - no run today as was working...

Pain is weakness leaving the body
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Scott, you'll tend to find that constantly running everything at sub 6 pace gives you stiff legs unless you're an elite!

• Johnas... A very much belated Congrats mate, hope everything is going well...

Self-Inflicted injury again, Hamstring Tendon I believe its called, was just starting to see some decent times in training, but had to blow-it... Come to the conclusion, that am more happy coming back from injury or running with a niggle, cause there's less pressure to do well... When your running well in training your expected to perform which cause's pressure, which I obviously can't handle...

Stevie... Welcome to the world of Moyes, where F*** all gets done until the two hours of the transfer window, when you end up with a couple of loanee's...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Nice running Rob and Scott. Had 3 days of pain free running. a 3-4-5 miler each day. The inevitable crash happened on today's 6. 4.5 miles in and I felt a niggle. Stopped immediately and home to ice it. 

Just consoling myself with some pic n mix. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Bluey, certainly seems the case. The change from boasting about going for the best, to a last min scuffle for Everton players is a bit of a comedown!

However, as long as he keeps the 4-1s coming I don't mind! Am off to OT on Monday for the big Chelsea game. That'll be an early massive test!

You're right on the easing of pressure. I'm in a similar boat. "Probably" am no less fit than for my pbs earlier in the year, but because of the niggle and the lack of quality I feel i'm not. This no pressure!

Matt, a niggle or a pain? If it's a pain you did the right thing. If it's a niggle, that';s often a period you have to manage out unfortunately!

• Massive come down... Don't think they'll make you stronger... Think Monday will be more of a gauge than Swansea away...

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

It's not a pain as in that it hurts too much to run, I can feel it and with it being in my calf I can't run freely with it at. If I was to carry on and try running anything above easy pace on it, I'm certain it would end up a whole lot worse. 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

deffo sounds like you made the right choice then Matt.

I tend to get stuff in grey areas, can run through it but just feels a bit off. Then gradually you realise you need to run through it and strengthen and it eventually goes. The sub 5 pace 200s yesterday showed me I can't be too bad, just need to monitor tightness.

Bluey, luckily unlike Arsenal we can get away without strengthening to some extent. They have a real battle for top 4 if they don't. We could use Fellaini, but as a squad player. Baines seems completely unnecessary.

• Steve G- I guess that's why yes..could you suggest what I could do? 

I work 5/7 and run in both ways which is 2.26m each way.. I have a long route i can do at 5.13m.. Should I do a few quicker days and then a few slower days when I run in? 

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Slow most of it right down, and properly schedule a couple of fast runs in.  Those would be demanding, so would naturally tell you to slow the rest down.

At the moment, 2milers so fast aren't doing much of a job bar accelerating fatigue.

I have the image of you wearing a backpack and work shoes too!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

10 in the rain in 6.56 average today, to bring up a 55mile week.

Not quite back to the full schedule, but building gradually each week. Long run up to 10, midweek up to 8 with 12x75m strides, and a full 200s session too.

Will no doubt gently ease this up and hopefully I can still make a decent fist of some Autumn racing.

• Stevie G . wrote (see)

I have the image of you wearing a backpack and work shoes too!

I have a mental image of this nutter who overtook me halfway through VLM.

• image - I wear normal running gear a backpack with keys, rain jacket, spare socks etc lol.. When I get to work there is good shower facilitieunify uniform is kept on site - I don't have an office job image

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

alright all

nice racing PMJ and Rob. Decent results for old boysimage

hope the racing went well today Chris.

sorry to hear of the niggle/injury news Matt & Bluenose. at the other end of the scale, nice to hear things are on the mend SG

not much to report here. marathon training in full swing and a month of 70+ mile weeks in the bag. concentrating a lot on speed endurance with 3 quality tempo sessions a week in the lead up to Maidenhead half in a couple of weeks. any of the Berks/Bucks crew running? Dachs?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

3 tempos a week? cripes man!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭
    Stevie G . wrote (see)

3 tempos a week? cripes man!

after the poor performances at 10k this summer and running out of steam in the last mile or 2, been working hard on the speed endurance. typical sessions for last month looks like

Tues - 15 min threshold, 5x 1k in 3.24, 15 mins threshold

Thurs - 4x 10mins threshold off 90 sec (5.40 average)

Sat - 4x 10 mins threshold off 2 mins over 1k hill circuit (5.40 average)

oh, and nice tidy 18 miler this morning in 7.11 average. I am marathon training afterall!

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

back from my 2 week hols of eating large and surfing lots.  Absolutely knackered and will take a few days rest before getting back into it. Will have read back to see what's been happening.

ss did you go for a 5000 today?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Johnas, I know you're coached by a good guy too, so no doubt it's all sound logic.

Probably after my little race/relay/niggle period and not having done 1 tempo a week for a fair while, the idea of 3  a week leaves me pretty shocked image

Dean, welcome back. Good news you've been on hol and not injured!

Off for a 6 shortly, then off to OT for the big game! The last time I went to  a Monday evening game I had a cracking 45min MP/HMP session the next day. Glad to see tomorrow's is les intensive!!

• I keep forgetting it's a Monday.

7km easy in the plan. Did a few efforts during the 7km so not all easy. Lack of energy and very high HR meant I limped back home.

Hadn't run since 15th due to illness so absolutely nothing in the tank energy wise. Rest of the week will be easy!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Classic couple of days fusing together my oldest interest footy watching with my current one the running.

After 6 yesterday, I fitted in 340miles of driving, watching a 0-0 (!) in Manchester and getting back at 1am.

Up today, had an 8miler with 3miles steady and 6x100m strides to fit in. The 3miles pretty much came out at MP instead, with the legs saying I'd held them back too long and it was time for business.

A nice sleep after that, and then a 4miler this evening. Certainly helped that I had today off, as otherwise i'd have been mashed!

• ML84ML84 ✭✭✭

Any races lined up to gauge where your at SG?

Another visit to the physio today (a different one as my usual one was away). Thought Id use it as a second opinion as opposed to spilling all the info on what id already had done and then just letting her work on it. 

She located the small tear/scar tissue towards the top of my calf when originally it was lower down. I know it was lower as I was in agony on the treatment table only a week ago when having another massage. Not sure if its another or what but she advised no running what so ever until next Tuesday(Ben Nevis is next Saturday) :-/ 

she was happy for me to keep on the bike and x trainer so will plod on with that. Also had some acupuncture and she then put some of that kinesiology tape on so ill look a right whopper in the gym. image

asked her too be honest about me running at the Ben and she said its possible. Fingers crossed the week will do me good. 

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

Hopefully you heal quickly matt and make Ben Nevis &  iron cats recovery continues to go well.

nice squeezing in some runs around the footy SG, I  was already to boo Rooney but the way he played I had a brief grudging respect for him.

my return to the track tonight.  6*800. As it the first long session since may and I have a race on Sunday i decided to keep the brakes on so hit the target of 2.35 on each rep. Felt comfortable and looking forward to some consistent track session again.