Wednesday 28th August 2013

Morning

Todays lyrics: Pale blue eyes. The same old house no ties.

Yesterdays lyrics: 'Harvest Home' by Big Country.

I'm seeing lots of bales of hay in the fields on my morning runs. So thought this song was appropriate.

What:5M Steady again mostly off road.

Why: Extra loop today.

Younger sons first day at his Sports Coaching ( HNC ) Course at College  today.

Catch up time and brekkie

Back later

Comments

• Hoachin

Scottish term for " Really Busy"/ "Crowded"/ "Packed"

To teem with. To have a plentiful supply of. Scottish in origin

There you go yesterdays Scottish word explained

Right then todays Scottish word for all you 'foreign language students' is

'Glakit'image

• Morning.

Hope he enjoys it birks.

What's the target this year postie?

Are you feeling comfortable with the longer runs now Alehouse?

What:                  threshold turbo
    Why:                   easier day
    Last hard:           seeing the days start to disappear
    Last rest:             4/8

Lyrics - no.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH: Yeah MrsB and I hope so too.

ale: I thought at first you'd ran 26 Miles not 26 mins yesterday ! DOH !!imageimage

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning

What: 7.5 miles with club tonight (OH is also coming with)
    Why: club night, plus he signed up for the Baccus half with me and he doesn't run, it's in 2 weeks!
    Last hard: bits of Monday
    Last rest: yesterday
    Lyrics: nope
    SWoTD: no.

Hope course goes ok Birks.Sounds like a good session Postie.
    How's the calf feeling Paddy?

Have a good one all.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    double no to both lyric and the 'swotd'
    postie - nice session
    Emz - jealous as would like to do both Bacchus and Pilgrim marathons, both next month, both local. September is a crammed month though (club champs for both swimming and athletics plus Aldershot road relays)
    what - easy run
    why - ended up doing the club session even though I thought the legs wouldn't hold up...400m fast/400 MP/300m faster/300m MP/200m faster/200m MP/100m sprint/100m MP x3 blocks with 400m easy jog in between.
    legs mashed this morning
    last rest - 18 days
    last hard - stairs, this morning

Have a good day y'all

• Ale - I like the use of the "steady" word....  continued progress

Emz - calf improving "steadily"

1.6k swam, 10 miles biked on bike that goes nowhere and 2 miles ran, followed by serious rolling on the foam!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Unexpected surprise this morning: daughter was due back from the US at 9 this evening. Had a call at 8.45 this morning to say that they had managed to get an earlier flight from Shannon rather than wait 10 hours there. Could I pick her up? Of course...it means I can go to the Alehouse tonight!

What: the plan is around 45 mins slightly slower than steady.
    Why: trying to get some kilometres in my legs. Not fit enough for miles yet!

LMH: gradually finding things easier (although I probably won't do today!). 25 to 30 mins now is comparable to 15-20 two to three months ago. Am in no rush...want to build back nice and steadily. Nothing faster than steady for a while. Having to be careful with the "good" Achilles: must do more stretches.

Lyrics: no, but yes to the foreign word. Hope I am not what I think it means!

Off to stretch!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

morning all

glakit, mmmm maybe I will google

alehouse nice one re daughter and the alehouse of course!

dustin are the legs a nice mashed?

emzap, oo er re your OH and the half!!

lmh how you doing?

did a very tough run in North Wales on Sunday, 12.5 miles and it took me 2.25 hours, 3 miles went up and 3 miles went down! The down was what hurt the most, I was quite happy plodding up for 3 miles I must admit.  I haven't run since, desperately keeping niggles at arms length...

What: well I really do not know, struggling if I am honest and need to boot myself up the a*se cos I know running keeps my sane

why: life etc etc

last hard: sunday

last easy: having a weekend away from it all

have a good un all, sorry I am so bleugh

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭

'glakit' - like it birkmyre

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • What: rest
    Why: on call and saving myself for weekend
    Last hard: feeling the rib a bit while kayaking yesterday evening
    Last rest: Sunday
    SWoD: No but I should do (it's plastered all over a series of dialect mugs and tshirts but never heard anyone actually say it)
    Lyrics: no

emzap - hope your other half survives tonight and doesn't (worse still) go faster than you!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Hi Wabo, mashed in a positive (i.e. tired) way.
    Wasn't race the train was it, or was that the week before?

• wabo: Glad you like todays word of  'Glakit'image

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

What: 47 mins steady, off-road, although a fair bit of it was on gravel paths.
    Why: I said I would. Actually found yesterday's 26 mins slightly tougher, mainly because of the terrain involved. Today was deliberately flat apart from a couple of hills that couldn't be avoided. And a very steep down hill: I completely understand about your experience on Sunday, Wabo. In fact one of my worst running experiences was racing Snowdon when I got really badly blistered on the down hill plus I seemed to lose completely control of the jelly that hed taken the place of my legs.

As I was running today I was contemplating just how much running off road is worth compared to on the roads. Most of my running is off road, so when I do run on the roads I seem to automatically go quite a bit quicker.

Re "glakit", a friend from Edinburgh uses this quite often, as in "he's a reet glakit". I think!

Off to stretch!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DonaldoDonaldo ✭✭✭

alehouse - 47 mins - great stuff - and a new picture too! image

4 miles for me tonight, 27:17.  Upped the pace a bit and felt okay. 

Lyrics - aye!  

Glakit - my parents used to refer to me as this in my younger days - they were right!

• Ale - Jasas, the hour is in sight!!!! Progression..................

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Paddy: whilst the hour is in sight I have no intentions of rushing things. I could have run for longer today, but who knows what problems I would have caused for tomorrow!

Don: re the new pic, I started a Uni touring team by the name of Alehouse Academicals in 1976. This is vest 2, circa 1980. I can fit in it still. Just! And only just!

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Alehouse, nice one ref the Daughter / Run and Alehouse....image

Poor session from me tonight, just could not get to the speeds I wanted and can do... 9.06m done with intervals

Got grumpy too as in Bristol,for the night, saw over 25 runners, said Hi to everyone or at least waved a hand... got 3 responses in total.... not a happy runner.... (rant over)

Take care all

• Birks: nope to lyrics and SWOTD.
    LMH: Steady.
    Emz: club nights are either fun and too easy, or a savage beasting, depending upon club.
    Dustin: You got the savage version!
    Paddy: your rest days are more intensive than my hard days.
    Ale: There are days when a plan comes together. Bank it.
    Donaldo: moving it a bit there. But 4 miles? It's hardly worth getting changed for that.
    RFJ: There are some grumpy gits around. I must have had all the happy ones tonight. 80% success rate.
    Wabo: I've saved the best 'til last. I know the sort of run you talk about. Enjoyable, but for goodness sake, a poor return if you are trying to bag miles as just numbers. Conversely, a darned good (hard) training session. 2:25 on your feet is tough by any call. I don't believe that it was Race the Train, because that's about 14 miles and it's Mid Wales. The first 7 go gradually up, and the next bit also goes up, but harder. The down bits are all on a side slope. One of the all time classics.

Training: 6.5 miles moving along nicely.