Drafting

So I ask because I’ve had a couple of guys do it to me (actually it's happened quite a few times). 

I’m doing my commute which is normally at a comfortable pace on country roads and I’ll see a cyclist ahead.  As I get nearer I’m going faster so I overtake.  Now I know from experience this will cause the cyclist to automatically speed up so I up the pace to give a bit of distance.  What I don’t like is when the fecker then speeds up not only to my original pace but to my new speeded up pace and jumps on my tail and drafts me! 

Am I being grumpy and should I be finding randoms who I can draft behind?

Comments

• I usually let them sit on for a minute or two, invite them past, if they don't come through I usually start freewheeling and eventually stop, very childish but what the hell, they're not getting a free ride from me image

• I've never been fast enough to have anyone want to draft off me....you should be flattered image

• Pingu this happens to me a few times not often because I'm sh*te but every now and them. It's strange you suddening feel a presence behind you. I quite often go through throughts on the bike or sing so it can be embarrising as well. image

• You are being grumpy! image

You do actually get some aero benefit from having someone on your tail.

Start waggling your elbow like a chicken to get them to come through.

• I think the paperlad might have drafted me one the git.

• I used to get a guy do this to me on my comute to work, did it a few days running till I emptied the contents of one of my bottles, haven't seen him since.

In serious mode I have been out of a sunday ride and have had a group come past and have jumped on the back of them, if you then ask if they mind, they are generally OK, they may decline or ask you to do a turn on the front unless they are Warrington CC in that case they are complete arses and don't even acknowledge you are there.

• Iron Pingu wrote (see)

So I ask because I’ve had a couple of guys do it to me (actually it's happened quite a few times). 

I’m doing my commute which is normally at a comfortable pace on country roads and I’ll see a cyclist ahead.  As I get nearer I’m going faster so I overtake.  Now I know from experience this will cause the cyclist to automatically speed up so I up the pace to give a bit of distance.  What I don’t like is when the fecker then speeds up not only to my original pace but to my new speeded up pace and jumps on my tail and drafts me! 

Am I being grumpy and should I be finding randoms who I can draft behind?

My question would be... if you were happy going at your original pace, why not let the person you overtake have a free ride? You carry on as you were and they get to go at your speed whilst not working any harder... If it's to satisfy ego, then drop them if you can, but don't blame them if your new pace is uncomfortable - you're the one setting it!

That said, if I were you I'd take it as a compliment if they're willing to pedal that bit harder to stare at your ar*e. image

• So, so tempted to mention fat a*ses ........... but best behave myself image

• image  image

Engineer, it's not so much the pace it's the having a random attaching themselves to my back wheel.  Quite often I'm not even aware they're there until I look over my shoulder because I need to pull out. 

I'm like Cake, off in my own world ... though less chance of singing more talking to myself image

• SA, I think if it's a group it's a litle different as they're out being social.  Jumping on a strangers tail in the middle of nowhere I think is a bit of an invasion of personal space. 

Maybe learning to pee on the bike is the answer image

• M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I think it would be polite of them to let you know that they are there.  On the rare occasions where I've managed to stay on the wheel of an overtaker, I've always asked if it's ok.

I can only recall once when someone's sat on my wheel and I'm not sure how long there were there before I noticed, but once I did, I started chatting to them.  

• I'd be aware that if I passed someone on the bike then they might jump onto my wheel - it shouldn't come as a surprise - especially as you've said its happened several times.

They should come through and share the pace though if they can. If they can't then just keep increasing the pace until they can't hack it any more !image
  • Iron Pingu wrote (see)

image Someone did that to me at outlaw in 2010 while I was trying to overtake. The nightmares never end. image

• Cake wrote (see)
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

image Someone did that to me at outlaw in 2010 while I was trying to overtake. The nightmares never end. image

what!

why have i only just found out that this occurs - after i have signed up! image

• image Enjoy and don't ever draft. imageimage

• Sometimes if I'm pootling along and someone comes past I'll try & keep up, but it's not so much a chance of a free ride as a kick up the backside that I should be putting more effort in and keeping up with these guys.  Take it as a compliment IP, they see you as a challenge to keep pace with.

• Budjude wrote (see)
    Cake wrote (see)
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

what!

You now need to know how Golden Boots got his name and how many times Monique used be able to pee on the bike

• CD - I usually let them go past as I'm just starting out and not good enough to keep up - but this morning a young lad came past on a battery powered bike pedalling all willy-nilly and he laughed as he went past...talk about a red rag to a bull. Cavendish would have been proud. I was fair whizzingimage

• The Silent Assassin wrote (see)
    Budjude wrote (see)
    Cake wrote (see)
    Iron Pingu wrote (see)

what!

You now need to know how Golden Boots got his name and how many times Monique used be able to pee on the bike

I must have put 10 litres through my left shoe in Switzerland. The pair had to soak for a week when I got back! image

• I wouldn't mind as it wouldn't affect my speed or my ride..if they want a free draft then good for them....

I would probably try and tag on to someone going past me if i was on a long ride and feeling tired........

and yes sometimes someone coming past me is a wakeup call that i have gone into my own world and have slowed down

• seren nos wrote (see)

and yes sometimes someone coming past me is a wakeup call that i have gone into my own world and have slowed down

I imagine the noise of their stabilisers probably wakes you up image

• Battery powered?  That's just asking for trouble.  Fair play MM, hope you caught him.

• seren nos wrote (see)

Actually, that's a good point...

Ok, mixed feeling then, some people mind it some don't.  Fair dos.

• Rafiki wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

I imagine the noise of their stabilisers probably wakes you up image

you can't be nasty to me when in taper..........you should be building up my bike confidence .nor knocking it downimageimageimage

• CD - you bet I did! I sweating like a pig afterwards but it was well worth it. Probably did me a favour actually!

• I had some Joe blog draft me during a sprint at Southwell ( he wasn't in the race And I was) so fecking annoying!

• Seren - your confidence will be sky high after I tell you my little secret - I'm still on normal pedals image I WILL get to cleats one day.....

• Running Postie wrote (see)

I had some Joe blog draft me during a sprint at Southwell ( he wasn't in the race And I was) so fecking annoying!

Someone did that to me the first time I did Outlaw - bloke out for a sunday ride drafted me for a while, then pulled alongside and told me my pedalling technique needed improving.  Feck off!!

• You should see the cycle superhighway from Barking to Canning town some mornings,  get about eight of us in some strange peleton where over taking is seen as some form of challenge to start a three mile race.