Thursday 29th August 2013

Morning! (Just!)

Lyrics: Has anybody here seen my old friend xxx

RFJ: it used to annoy me when I used to wave/say hello/acknowledge a fellow runner, but it is so often the norm that I try not to get cross. But I do!

What: 20-25 mins, may be  more, but gently.
Why: baking a cake. At an extremely low temperature.

Was interested to hear that it is 50 years ago this week since Martin Luther King made his "I had a dream" speech.

Can you tell me where he's gone?
He freed a lot of people,
But it seems the good they die young.

Off to bed...up fairly early as have tickets to watch "Countdown" being recorded at 9.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.

Comments

• Morning ale.

Yesterdays lyrics: 'When will you make my telephone ring' by Deacon Blue.

Mrs B was in same year at school as Dougie Vipond the Deacon Blue drummer.

What: 5M Steady

Why: A wee increase in distance.

Overcast, dull, but mild.

Catch up time

Back later with todays Scottish word.

• 'Glakit'

A Scottish word meaning: stupid, foolish, not very bright, thoughtless, vacant.

• Morning.

Countdown? Is that still going? No ill effects from yesterday's run I hope Alehouse?

Any reason for the increase birks?

I try not to get annoyed when I use my precious breath or energy to acknowledge other runners or cyclists and they don't respond but it does irk. Fortunately it doesn't happen much here.

What:               just a two hour run
    Why:                dropping the planned swim as tired, throat sore & glands up
    Last hard:        accepting that the work is just about done
    Last rest:          4/8

Lyrics - not today.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Morning LMH

No real reason just felt it was time to increase the distance.

Todays Scottish word is 'Fankle'.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

morning all,
    no to the lyric, no to the swotd, but then again I hardly ever hear them..
    Countdown - try to watch when I can, has nothing to do with Rachel Riley though
    RFJ et al. - I give up waving/nodding in London when I run. 45 minutes at lunchtime and I see/pass upwards of 50-75 runners at busy times. Not a single acknowledgement. At home however its more or less 100% returned.
    Blisters/Wabo - did Race the Train a couple of years ago Tywyn if I'm not mistaken. Yeah probably mid Wales, although it seems a long way up when your stuck between tractors on those A roads...

what - steady 40 minutes at lunchtime
    why - routine
    last rest - 19 days?
    last hard - Tuesday

easy run yesterday, just 2.5 miles over the fields/woods with the youngest, scaring the sheep.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning again!

Countdown: I think that's where Birks gets these Scottish words from. No to today's, btw.

Dustin: how's the eldest's leg?

LMH: obviously tapering..."just" a two hour run.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • ale: Nah these words are not on countdown, are they ?

• I would usually be doing a swim set too Alehouse!

No to the SWOTD but like Dustin they're not something I'm exposed to very often.

• What: JS tonight
    Why: Thursday
    Last Hard: paddling on Tuesday (rib sore)
    last rest: yesterday
    lyrics: no
    SWoD: easy

westerly 35mph forecast for Saturdayimage

• 1.2k swam, 10 mile span 4 mile ran. All fairly easy with a few efforts thrown in.

Blisters - tomorrow I rest (completely).

LMH - what are the odds now?? improving.

Ale - Your training is nearly looking normal.

Birks - now now, take it easy!!

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Ale- thanks for asking, she's waiting for mri scan date to come through, mean time no hockey or athletics (weight bearing stuff). Doc initially said 4-6 weeks of no sport, so hopefully it clears up on its own. Doesn't seem to stop her ability to go shopping though...

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning

What: core
    Why: missed it on Tuesday and there's another session today
    Last hard: yesterday, my legs were shot from Monday's long run
    Last rest: Tuesday
    Lyrics and SWotD: nope

RFJ no one smiles or waves here, it's very disheartening.
    LMH progress?
    Ale I presume you're metaphorically baking a cake rather than actually?!

Oh and I'm now 3rd woman in the local cup image

Have a good one all.

• Paddy: It's okay mate, I'll probably not increase my daily milage again until Decemberimage

ale: Nobody really about to wave to when I'm out,well bar delivery drivers and owls.image

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Oh and forgot to say, OH completed the 7.5 miles but was pretty dead at the end. No way he could have finished it quicker than me, though being able to run 7.5 miles with no training is pretty impressive (and makes me slightly jealous!)

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

afternoon all

cool lyrics alehouse...

my long run wasn't race the train, its was near Llangollen and the up takes you towards some ruins.  Figured it was a good training run for Snowdonia though, I think I know I can handle up, its the down that I need to have caution!

them unfriendly runners (I get it more with runners than cyclists) irk me too!

nice one emzap

I reckon alehouse is baking a cake literally or am I mad?

lmh - wish you well

no to swotd, I did google yesterdays I must confess!

WHat: intervals very early am, used a long winding and at times undulating road, found one in essex, really I did

why: back on track

last hard: this morning was and so was clearing a load of c*ap out of a shed in my garden ready for demolishing..

last easy: yesterday

that shed clearance put me back in a better frame of mind, such an achievement!

have a good day all

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • A'noon

Wabo: No probs re you or anybody googling SWOTD.

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭

ha ha well birks I reckon I got myself in a fankle last night with my shed....

possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

right,
    Decided to treat today's 6 miler (46 minutes) as an experiment.Out along Southbank towards Vauxhall, back over the river and return along the Embankment.
    First 4 miles made eye contact and smiled at every runner, made an effort to say hello to everyone on the last 2 miles (thats on the Embankment from Westminster to the city).

I only counted those going in the opposite direction to me, and discounted those on the opposite side of the pavement where eye contact was tricky.

Total runners passed :158
    Total ipods : around a third (was 34/95 when I lost count)
    Total "hellos" returned : none
    Total blanks : 156
    that leaves two (runners # 129 & # 147) both of which had a changed facial expression, the first one almost half a smile back.
    Mostly single runners, but probably 10 pairs and a couple of groups of 3 or 4. Even so...

London - the "eyes down ignore everyone" city.
    Glad I only work here.

• Blimey Dustin that's a lot o runners in a short space of time.

Well done emzap.

Glad you're feeling a bit brighter Wabo.

Paddy - if the medical director says 'yes' I'm starting - someone may want to run a book as to whether I finish or not.............image

It was so nice out this morning that I couldn't help myself and stayed out a little longer than strictly I should have but I figure it's still more than two weeks until race day and I am good at keeping my easy easy so 17 miles run, runners encountered - none.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Back from Countdown. Each 30 minute show takes 90 mins to record. Saw two shows this morning and they record a further three this p.m. The celebrity guest was the swimmer, Mark Foster.
    I passed on your good wishes to Rachel, of course, Dustin. image

Cake baking is entirely metaphorical today, I'm afraid. Thought most people would have heard the expression in running terms: putting in the slow miles to get a background. At some point there may be some icing involved, i.e. speed work, but that will have to wait a good while. Literal cake baking may take place tomorrow or over the weekend.

• Busy thread today then.

• Lots of literal cake baking here today - lemon polenta and Birsay biscuits image - but I knew what you meant Alehouse. Won't be long until we're talking xams cakes again will it?

• Never heard of metaphorical "cake baking" before
    (other than "a bun in the oven" image )

image ... think I've been baking meringues then!!! image

but thereagain, I never did like icing!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Thanks for the Christmas cake reminder, LMH. Pretty urgent as next week am ripping most of the kitchen out!!

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Speaking of Christmas, noticed we have German Christmas goodies (Spekulatis and Lebkuchen) in the shops already.  It's AUGUST!

No core for me.  Had an allergic reaction in the supermarket and have a swolen throat and feeling very dizzy.  Lying on the couch instead!  Begins with the same letter...

• Afternoon

What 15ish
    Why failure yesterday
    Lyrics No
    SWoD No

Forgot to reset the alarm so was up early and took advantage.

• Hope you soon feel better emzap - if not get yourself to A&E pronto in case of anaphylaxis.

Alehouse - following my inaugural success last year I'm quite looking forward to baking mine again - will be guided by you on timings though image

Meringues OH? Good job I didn't have a mouthful of coffee when I read that or it would have been all over the keyboard!

Glad you had a good run postie - what's the target this year?

• Hello All.

I pop in here a few times a year. Today because Jeremy Vine played the song today, and had a discussion about MLK.

I am a big fan of Lebkuchen.

What: 3km recoveryWhy: My achilles comeback plan says so!
    Last rest: 17th-24th August, stomach bug.
    Last hard: Run - no idea. Bike 16th Aug,

• LMH Will set a target after Maidenhead HM next weekend.

Course best 2:53:30 (2012)
    PB 2:51:59 (VLM 2013)
    PW 3:12:43 (Abingdon 2008)

The training has been quite eratic this time so not sure if pb hunting is on the cards.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Evening!

What: 26 mins steady
    Why: tired legs

Ironcat: good to see you on here. Stick around! Must exchange Achilles stories at some point!