Good shoes that protect the heel

HI,

Started running a couple of years ago in the gym, but had to stop after doing my heel in. Anyway, feel better now and have started running again, but really want to make sure I protect my feet and looking for a good shoe.

I mainly run in the gym, though would like to take it outside if I find the right shoe. Been told I have a neutral foot and form reading here I think a stability shoe would be the right kind of shoe for me.

Anyone got an recomendations for a good shoe around the £80 mark?

Went into sports direct and looked at a Karimoor shoe, but checked some reviews and this turned me off so now I don't know what to look for.

Comments

• Don't ask strangers on the internet! image  Go to a quality running shop (SportsDirect does not qualify by a long shot!).  Try Up & Running, Sweatshop, Runners Need or a local independent.  Get a gait analysis to confirm whether you need cushioning or support and most importantly, try them on to find a shoe that is comfortable!

Brands to look at: Saucony, New Balance, Asics, Mizuno, Adidas.

(Other shoes brands available).

Don't buy on looks or fashion!  Good luck!

• Yeah, I think you need some proper advice.

You have said you have a neutral foot but need a stability shoe, if your foot is neutral then you likely need a neutral shoe. But then you could have arches that drop a lot when you run which is when you'd need a support shoe (If indeed anyone truely 'needs' a support shoe).

Also what do you mean by a neutral form?

If you have problem with your heels, have you considered trying to transition to a forefoot/midfoot strike? That will protect your heels far better than an inch of cushioning.

Anyway good luck with it all, hope you find what you are looking for!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Go to a proper running shop!

If you are a neutral runner I'm not sure why you think you will need a stability shoe.

An expert in a decent shop will be able to tell you what you need.
  • Avoid Karrimor, I bought a pair, decided only to use them for walking and found that, when they wear, a nasty sharp piece of hard plastic slices the back of your heel drawing blood. I'd say the same for any cheap 'running' shoe, Crane sports (Aldi) or the own brands in Decathlon.

You are prepared to spend proper money, so it's worth going to a running shop staffed by runners with good shoe fitting experience. It is not unreasoanble to ask the staff what distance they compete at, how long they have been running and how much fitting experience they have. In my other sport of skiing, the staff will usually tell you this themselves (skiers do brag a bit).

A good shoe is one that fits and gives you what you want. You could spend a hundred on a shoe with a 4mm sole and a tight fit acros the toes, but you might be much better off in a forty pound shoe that has good cushioning and a wide fit.

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

I'll get berated, but I'll say it anyway.

If impact on your heel is a problem, perhaps look at shoes that discourage a heelstrike. Typically these have a low heel to toe drop. They take some getting used to. thsi is not a recommendation as everyone's different, but I use these: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/new-balance-trail-110-shoes-aw13/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=pla&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360537325

They're trail specific and you may want something with more cushioning if you're running on roads.

(And I managed to get it out without mentioning the 'b' word once).

• Yep, sounds like form is the issue. If you ask me, it's always better to address an issue by working on your running style than hoping some new kit will fix it. 

I'm not a big fan of treadmills, but as you're already using one you might as well take advantage of the fact that they allow you to look at your form. Try some practice drills. I imagine trying to get your foot plant below your hips, as opposed to in front of your body, could help.

• when you say problems with your heel.exactly what do you mean.bottom of the heel hurting....the back of the heel...the point where the achillies joins the heel.......

• Snap!Snap! ✭✭✭

Daniel, no relation to Justin Murray?

• I went to a proper running shop for trainers just the first time the other day! They took a look at my old shoes and noticed where they had worn which was mainly around the heel, after having him look at my feet and sizing them he recommended nike lunarglide 4. So far I have found them very comfortable, they have a lot of cushioning which is what I prefer but they also have a lot of support around the heel, everyone is different but they may be worth a look! 

• I agree with @"Agent Biscuit" - the only way you'll find the "right" shoe for you is through trial and error and of course, going to a quality running store to be assessed. Shoes are personal, a stranger can't asses what shoes are good for you without knowing or seeing you first.

I realize this post is about five years old but thought I'd just jump in! :mrgreen:
    Lee Grantham
    Instagram - @jungle.vip
    strava.com/athletes/9803888