changes in new training model

I am generally happy after two decades away from club Athletics that young athletes  are given the opportunity to try different events.  But! I can not understand why when a young athlete is at a high standard in an event they are not encouraged to train harder. These so called expert state young bobies are not prepared for this and as to weight until they reach 12-15 before hard work is introduced. I coached athlete of 11 years old who reached national  hieghts in the 80-90's without these experts and still in touch with some, they have not had long lasting effect from training hard. Also this 

Comments

• does not seem  to be am issue with other sports I.E Gymnastics .

So my question is why so many records example 100 metres all time UK records over 50% of the top 100 was recorded in the 1900 and the top time is from the 80's.  Plus Kathy Cooks record as only been broken. Speaking with her at the time she felt this was not a long lasting records, she thought that the standard of UK athlete would soon break this in years to come 30 years later it was broke.  So hard work no longer PC, competition not fashionable, so what is the way to improve  standards? 

• not sure if studies have been done........but from information creeping out of china doesn't sound good......

there they do work them young in all sports............they take large numbers of promising youngsters and then train them to near breaking point.the majority who break are then sent home to their village with nothing but health problems to show,....#

the very few who make it then become world champions...

is it worth breaking lots of children so that a very few can win us a gold medal and get a world record.....

• Just RunJust Run ✭✭✭

You could argue that Kenya do exactly the same.....

• could well do.but do we want it for our country

• I understand what you are saying seren. But there must be a middle ground, I taught sprinting and worked my girls very hard.  But was aware at all times how they felt, plus looked out for injuries and  if they looked well and any signs of mental stress. But they reached high levels that was in the 80-90's when Uk athletes was then mostly breaking national records and competing at world level. Apart from the few we seemed to be left behind 

• I agree that there should be a middle ground.......I feel sorry for the british girls running in the 80's.....

Kathy Cook should have got so many more medals......she was an amazing runner who had to run againgst runners on a very uneven playing field.....most of the eastern block were on some kind of drugs...

I would like to think that maybe some of our fitest young women are going into other sports........in the 70's and 80's young girls could not play football, cricket or rubgy... so if they didn't like hockey then athletics was one of the few sports they could go into........now girls have more choice,......but i don't think that is the answer

• The approach of UK Athletics is that young athlete should experience wide range of events, so that coaches can see possible talents in particular events. But what UK Athletics do not realise is that young athletes have their own idea what they want to do and pushing them in one direction would discourage them from joining  clubs. Also because youngers who show a talent in one area, they still are having to go through all events instead of training in the events that they enjoy and what they are good at.