Is all 'Gait Analysis' equal?

Hi,

When it comes to gait analysis, are some places better than others? I've had a look around and I've seen it vary from a bloke watching you run up and down outside the shop to fancy treadmill/computer combos.

A bit of background, I've been exercising for over a year now, doing 3 BMF sessions a week and have shed five stone. I've been running on Sunday mornings for about 9 months anywhere between 3 miles and 12 miles all on trails and fairly hilly.

I have noticed a bit of pain in my left knee after some of the longer runs. Now, this is probably down to not running often enough and building the mileage up slowly but I reckon I ought to get fitted to a pair of running shoes that suit my running style to rule that out.

I have a shop local to me in Guildford, FitStuff, who offer this service - does anyone have experience of using them? Alternatively, there's RunnersNeed in Clapham who I have heard good things about.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comments

• Yes, I think they vary, but there can be a sound reason for running outside - some people, myself included, never use a treadmill so they will take you outside to watch you - it isn't so much a professional vs amateur thing.

I have used Runners Need at Holborn and the one in the City (Strype Street?). I didn't much like the Holborn one, the staff didn't seem that interested, but the City one is really good, they take their time always seem to be able to think up an excuse to give you a discount - or maybe I've just been lucky image

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

the City one is really good, they take their time always seem to be able to think up an excuse to give you a discount - or maybe I've just been lucky image

Maybe it's just the way you flutter your lashes Screams...

• They don't seem to look at my face much - maybe I just have pretty feet image

I do always get served by a bloke though.

• Screamapillar wrote (see)

They don't seem to look at my face much - maybe I just have pretty feet image

I do always get served by a bloke though.

Of course they don't.  They are analysing your gait.  Maybe it's the way you 'shake yo ass'.

• In which case you probably have severe pronation problems and deserve the discount!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

Massive differences in gait analysis. Most shops will provide a very limited gait analysis, and the only focus tends to be on the ankle and foot so they can slip you into the right shoe based on how you currently run. It is more an exercise in seeing how much you pronate. Some might do a few other exercises e.g. wet foot test, single leg balance to see how your arches hold up.

Most analysis is done on treadmills for convenience. Research shows that gait does change a little on a treadmill, with your average healstriker leaning a little further forward and landing more midfoot when on a treadmill. Doesn't make a huge difference to shoe selection.

Some gait analysis starts with videoing you running, others may start with a top to toe examination of upper back, lower back, pelvis/hips and legs looking for skeletal / muscular misalignment and tightness. Some are free, some are charged up front.

Personally, if I didn't know what I wanted, I I was injury free,  I would buy from a shop with a returns policy, e.g. Swetashop 30 day return policy, and not worry too much about how sophisticated the gait analysis is.

• So some are more equal then others

• MedicalertMedicalert ✭✭✭

I have to say that having had a few of these done and bought all sorts of different types of trainers with such varied results, I really don't think the gait analysis is all that.

Now I'm sure there are top line professional ones that will give you the full run down, but after an initial look I found I had to just keep experimenting until I found what I liked.

My particular thing is that after 5 miles or so my feet start to give up the ghost and I go from good strong arches to weak flat pronating feet so no gait analysis is going to find this out.

Totally agree with going to sweatshop and taking full advantage of the 30 day guarantee!!

• Best gait analysis I had involved feet, ankles, knees and hips.  Was at Up and Running in Sheen 8 or 9 years ago.  

Chap had me standing on one leg and lowering myself, so he could see how much my knee moved inwards, video'd me (for hips?), then got me to run a couple of km outside, then come back and stick his fingers under my arches (image) to see how strong they were!  

He explained everything he was doing; why and what he was looking for.  It all made sense (I have a biological science background) and he pressured me to buy no more than Brooks Adrenaline (when I wanted New Balance, because they looked cooler!).  Great service and made me loyal to their shop until I left the country.

• mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

I went to Moti in Bristol, Whiteladies Road. Had  the same as DiscountRunner except for running outside. Staff seemed knowlegable and I like my trainers.

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

It has been stated on these fora, numerous times, that there isn't any evidence that gait analysis is effective for injury prevention...  You're best bet is probably just to get a pair of running shoes that feel comfortable on your feet.

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Taxi Driver wrote (see)

It has been stated on these fora, numerous times, that there isn't any evidence that gait analysis is effective for injury prevention...  You're best bet is probably just to get a pair of running shoes that feel comfortable on your feet.

.... and are still comfortable after 20 miles.  Long live decent returns policies. And then buy them cheap online once you have found a good 'unimage

• Taxi Driver wrote (see)

Yes, but there's no evidence of the efficacy of minimalist running, or barefoot, or chi running, or protein shakes or hydrolytic drinks, or warming-up, or warming-down. or orthotics or keeping your head warm, or keeping your head cold, or many other things.

My knees hurt when I ran, I had gait analysis, got support shoes and have now run c70km per week for the past 9 years.  That's all the evidence I need! image

• Hi,

Just a quick update. First of all, thanks for all the info in replies, most appreciated and helpful.

I went to Fitstuff in Guildford and had the analysis done on the treadmill while being filmed and all that, it was interesting to watch the difference the shoes make. It turns out that I mildy over-pronate and land midfoot first.

I came out with a lovely pair of Brooks Ravennas which are night and day compared to my old Sauconys - they feel like I've got nothing on my feet.

I'm also cautiously optomistic that a niggling sore knee has gone after my long runs as well.

Fingers crossed and was very worthwhile.