Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• Great racing smurf and also well done to all though who supported/raced the WB I'm working my way through the reports on that thread.

Glad you're back to it Cat.

Cycled to the sea on Sunday image 45 mile round trip and loved every second.

Grumpy today though, think I'm allergic to work image

• Thanks for the smilies image off to read the WB thread to see how its done now

• Nice report Wrinkly. Well done and welcome to the mad house.

Hi Eco! Good ride.

8km 'easy' today, though due to tonight's dinner and yesterday's bike it didn't feel too easy. I now have a massive knot in my RH calf. Grrr! image

• Nice report Wrinkly and well done, great times! I was wondering what the J meant...

Cake - I guess I'd like something official as a first as no way doing full IM. Though really like the idea of the DIY half.

So, I'm kind of homeless in my work town atm which means living mon-thu at friend's spare room. Got a push bike,a pannier, a rucksack, running and swimming gear with me. So 14 miles biking today, to work, to the pool and back 'home'. And a first swim in fricking ages!! No lanes in pool and quite a few kids. Didn't really feel like continious swim so did 10x 100m, still bs, will start lessons in Southampton when I'm there full time,which is end of this month as notice handed in today. image

• Good racing wrinkly smurf and a great report. 

I was out roaming in the gloaming last night, a hard cycle followed by a short run. The main problem of cycling at dusk is the number of bugs I ate! And those bits under the trees were properly dark.

Still, its good to do a brick session now and again.

• image Wrinkly Smurf Brilliant mate well done!!!! image

Miksa if you do a HIM you might like the DIY anyway even if you don't race it you will still have a laugh. Lee the pea might be going next year and if you know her would be worth being checky and asking for a lift because she's near where your moving to. Worst she can say is no I'm not going.

• turbo this morning and gym this afternoon. I am shattered though, not sure if I will manage to get up and run tomorrow!!

• It was a very slow, granny low gear kind of bike ride this morning!  The worst bit was taking the bike down two flights of stairs image hubby had gone into work early so it was all on me to get it down to the ground.  Was a bit stiff around work today but after the bike home I'm thinking the legs are starting to bounce back just fine image am starting the crunchie challenge tomorrow - going to say hello to my abs!

• Physio has stretched, massaged and stuck thumbs and elbows in my body to get it relaxed. I overdid the squats in the crunchie challenge, so he has given me althernative exercises to do that will strengthen the muscles but not over do it.

Swim this morning was good, lots of FC drills, although I had to miss the last 15 minutes of the coached session to get to work on time.

• buttercup - glad to hear your legs are getting back to normal

steady - good that the physio has sorted you out!

• MC, he is working wonders. I had stupidly left a niggle to get to become a chronic state (years  of ignoring and putting up with a discomfort), where the muscles were not working in the correct order, or had tightened up into spasm. It has taken ages to get back to nearly normal, but I can overdo it if not careful with technique, hence why I am still at the run/walk stage. He checked out my squat and sit up and crunchie technique to ensure that I do no harm in the challenge.

• nothing wrong with run/walkimage

my knee is feeling a bit tender tonight, will ice in a bit - maybe it is all the squats, although I think it might have been the stepper at the gym, it started hurting a bit then - I did get off but maybe shouldn't have got on in the first place

• Yayayaya for awesome physios!! We like peeps that help you be well and healthy again image

• Good to hear everyone is mending and recovering well, go easy on that knee Maths, 

I am on day 2 of operation feet up and stuff face, I have a lovely pink glow on my neck and shoulders from Sundays fun, I'm hopefully going to muster the motivation to have a swim tomorrow morning, I'm taking small steps on the road to carbon, I spoke to HR about cycle schemes, awaiting an email. image

• Oh I have fab tan lines on my legs - hubbies legs could've powered a small island nation with the glow he was giving off image I need to see if my new work would fund a new bike image good thinking JP!

• MC, my fizz said to suddenly start to do 100 squats was asking for trouble. Either break it up and do some throughout the day totalling 100, or build up from much smaller number, as it could over stress the joints if they are not used to it. After all the idea is to get fitter and stronger not injured through over doing it.

• Hello, catching up with everything. Hurrah to Wrinkly, awesome effort and top report! How about the Cotswold Tri's.. With tri ferris! 

Buttercup appears to be recovering - whoop woop! Steady is being successfully physio'd. How's the knee Maths?

Awesome work JP, keep those feet up and perhaps see if nibbles can be provided!

Will check if I missed anything later... Oo swam a bit today and OH entered Outlaw in the relay!

• Well done Wrinkly Smurf! image

Great to hear that folk had such a good time on Sunday.

Run yesterday, bike today.... am slowly getting back into the swing of things after a week off. Our local pool is still closed for refurbishment but due to open soon.

• Good training/stuffing face everyone.

About 8 miles cycled today to and from work. TRX at lunch time and aqua aerobics in the evening. Was alright that but not too fussed,just went with a friend I'm staying with.

• I think I would hate aqua areobics!

yep, despite putting some sun cream on I was also a bit burned from Sunday. Should have put it on earlier!

MrsD - good to hear that Digger got in to outlaw. Not sure we will beat his team though! Caz will be out of the water way before me!

knee feeling a little niggly so nothing today

I had been doing squats before, but admittedly not 100! and not every day

• It wasn't that bad Maths. If my friend wants to go again whilst I'm there I'll go but most probably never otherwise. Did feel like a good swim would've been nicer. image

• JPGoodboy wrote (see)

Good to hear everyone is mending and recovering well, go easy on that knee Maths, 

I am on day 2 of operation feet up and stuff face, I have a lovely pink glow on my neck and shoulders from Sundays fun, I'm hopefully going to muster the motivation to have a swim tomorrow morning, I'm taking small steps on the road to carbon, I spoke to HR about cycle schemes, awaiting an email. image

As a HR monkey something you might be interested in knowing but halfords normally don't tell you is while they sort out the goverment paperwork for this you don't have to buy the bike from them. You can buy if from anywhere and give them exact details and they have to get it for you. There is normally a admin change for this.

MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

Hello, catching up with everything. Hurrah to Wrinkly, awesome effort and top report! How about the Cotswold Tri's.. With tri ferris! 

Buttercup appears to be recovering - whoop woop! Steady is being successfully physio'd. How's the knee Maths?

Awesome work JP, keep those feet up and perhaps see if nibbles can be provided!

Will check if I missed anything later... Oo swam a bit today and OH entered Outlaw in the relay!

imageimage I'm probably going to get away with saying this as never of them look at this thread much but I'm genuanly courious as to if Caz or Bookie will be faster in the swim. Known both of them for years and seen them both in races and think it could be a interesting battle between them. Bookie is faster but caz is better in open water.

• Cake wrote (see)
    As a HR monkey something you might be interested in knowing but halfords normally don't tell you is while they sort out the goverment paperwork for this you don't have to buy the bike from them. You can buy if from anywhere and give them exact details and they have to get it for you. There is normally a admin change for this. 

Thanks Cake, Its a Boardman ltd edition I'm falling for, unfortunatly we dont do the "Cycle to work scheme" at work, but we do one of the schemes, just waiting to hear back from them (HR), otherwise might have to look at finance

• I am an idiot. I've been faffing around for a week and when I finally went to sign up for my local triathlon, it was full.image 

i guess I'll start my winter training early...or look for some longer runs...

• Pete happens to us all. You could always ask if they want marshall's and see if you can get in somehow there are always drop outs for races.

• I have walked for todays exercise and done core work.

• pete - what cake said, you could turn up on the day and see if there are spaces - there are always people that drop out. Also, marshalling, helping on a feed station etc is great fun

well done steady

today is going to be my rest day, apart from the physio exercises, knee just feeling a bit dodgy and better to rest today I think. 

• Stinkbums Pete image +1 to what Cake said.

I did day one of the crunchie challenge cept I did 25 instead of 100 squats as I think my thighs would have rebelled image biked normal way to work and up the hill not back to fast times on the leicestershire backroads but getting there.  Stiffness nearly gone image think the body has viewed Sunday as a really hard training day image go the body!

• Just received my tri suit and wetsuit, they are only cheap but I have never had a wetsuit before. Trying it on feels good but I do feel a little like a sausage! Can't wait to try it out on the weekend 

• Hahaha Rocco I always feel like a sausage in my wettie image