A pirate outing to Northern France in 2013, August Bank Holiday

123457»

Comments

• how are you feeling now JB?  over the worst of the stomach bug??

• Stlll had the shits this morning FB but only once, my weight is going up and I'm peeing more so I think things are going in the right direction....just slower.  I have some heavy duty antibiotics which I'm holding off on to see if imodium will do the trick.

My only fear now is constipation.  Sorry it's a lot more info than anyone want's.image

• errm....nice....image

sounds like you should be OK for Sunday then

we will be overnighting in our motorhome at the race venue car park (organiser has said it's OK so he'd best be right!) - look out for us - reg no. is X1LEH

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

We'll look our for you!

• You have my thoughts JB. Been trying to persuade my GP all week that I mightn't have a 24 hour thing. He relented after 6 days. Definitely bacterial.

• We've just spent an extra day round the pool in Cognac country (with a break at the local auberge for lunchimage)   and it was lovely and warm sorry to p!ss you all off...... but will be hitting the road tomorrow morning at 7am,  if in Calais for a quick drink before ferry time will come via Gravelines and see how race went and check out venue for 2014.

• Hope you had a great time one and all

A few of my club mates went over and enjoyed great races - especially the lady who won the half ironman ladies, she was well chuft

Just as well I didn't commit in the end due to Mr P's health but a definite maybe for 2014 if the feedback from you guys is as good as club mates'

• Drums fingers waiting for reports.....

• afternoon - we got back late last night after a couple of days R&R down on the Baie de Somme (cracking area if anyone is looking for ideas on somewhere to go)

Ch'triman overall is a cracking event and well supported by local tri clubs (including a few Belgian ones).  the race venue is superb - and will be even better in a couple of years when the rest of it is complete - and easy to get to from Calais (20min drive).

race HQ is well setup although it could have been better imho in terms of flowthrough of racers and supporters - it seemed a bit chaotic at times.  the French have a more relaxed approach to these things I think than us uptight Brits and seeing kids and family in transition was a bit strange!!  and as BTF officials ourselves we thought our French counterparts (Arbiters who wear black and white striped tops which look horrendous!!) were a bit over-officious at times.  But you can play the language card - "Je ne comprends pas" - as a good way around that issue as they back off if they think you don't understand what they are saying, even thouugh we did.....image

swim is like Dorney or Holme Pierrepoint as it's a rowing lake - plenty deep enough and warm (about 20C on the day). it pissed down on Saturday when the kids were racing (superbly organised as well with some young talent on show) but they all took it in their stride.  luckily for us adults, the rain held off on Sunday...image

me and Petal did the sprint - nothing exceptional to report really 'cept P got 3rd in the VE category (40+ - not bad for a 60 yr old.....image).  I was 40th of 125 for comparison in men's VE.   swim was wet, bike was flat (bar one bridge), and run was down one side of the lake, up onto the dam built to shelter the lake from wind, and then back to a IM like finish chute.

we met with Jellybean and Wilkie - JB finished the IM distance event but we'd left by the time he came in so he can tell his own story.

for the money we paid - €18 - it's a bargain for a sprint event but if you want the frills of a medal or t-shirt, then you won't get anything - there was none of those.  I don't mind that, others might.   for us it was a good way for P to get some race practice before the worlds and to combine it with a short break to France.

highly recommended - we might go back next year as well...... image

• From a spectators point of view it's a good venue, especially for the 226 event.

The swim is up and down the rowing lake,so you can walk the path alongside.

The bike is two laps of a course which come back through the venue, and also has an out-and-back section where you can see people going both ways.  

I cycled out on this while the race was on, and the mashals (of which there were loads) and other riders thought I was taking part (despite having no number on me or the bike), and kept wishing me "courage"!  I gave up trying to say "I'm not in the race..."

The run is two laps of an out-and-back, but also goes around the lake, so you get extra opportunities to see people.

The only downside was a lack of facilities at the venue - one burger vendor, one crepe vendor.  Hopefully that will improve in the future, as they improve the facilities.

(If you like t-shirts and medals, for the 226 you get a t-shirt, a cycle jersey AND a medal!)

• I have a question that you may be able to answer, FB.

During the Olympics last year, all athletes had kit which had the mangled union flag in the wrong colours on it.  Except the triathletes - their kit was plain.

Why did they not have the same style of kit as the others?

• "The only downside was a lack of facilities at the venue - one burger vendor, one crepe vendor.  Hopefully that will improve in the future, as they improve the facilities."

although I have to say that the merguez and frites (and beer) was very welcoming post race!!  but yes - it was a bit sparse on the food side.

did JB enjoy his race btw??

the triathletes kit at the Olympics wasn't plain - it had the Union Flag on the sides - see here - http://goo.gl/hIYuFc.    it's changed for this year however (different sponsor) - and this is the new stuff and what P wore at Ch'triman - http://www.tri247.com/article_11378.html

all GB triathlon kit has to conform to set ITU standards (logo sizes etc) and once kit design has been approved, athletes can't deviate from this.  at all ITU and World events, every athlete's kit is checked to make sure it conforms - P will have hers checked at Hyde Park - and if it doesn't, then they have to race in what's known as neutral kit (completely plain but in country base colour).

there was a classic case a few years ago where Jodie Swallow wasn't allowed to race in her GB kit as her big tits (then - she's slimmed since) expanded the sponsor logo outside set limits when she wore it!!  

does that help??

• FB - it must be a VERY small union flag - can't see it at all!

/members/images/4741/Gallery/Brownlee3.jpg

/members/images/4741/Gallery/brownlee_j_1571985a.jpg

• JB will be posting a race report shortly!

• Wilkie wrote (see)

FB - it must be a VERY small union flag - can't see it at all!

/members/images/4741/Gallery/Brownlee3.jpg

/members/images/4741/Gallery/brownlee_j_1571985a.jpg

errm - you're right - that isn't the current GB kit, but a one-off design for the Olympics (women wore similar).  I believe there is a bit of a back story to why this kit doesn't have the Union Flag but it's something that I'd rather not post onto an open forum in case I have my facts wrong!! PM me.....

• I thought it was to enable the Brownlees to 'hide' and not be so obvious for when the other truathletes ganged up to attempt a win?