Frankfurt Marathon 2013

Comments

• Emmy - I did the Gold, I think you did the other(s), very impressive! 

Re start times, I am all for avoiding the arsecrack of dawn and do best with late morning starts...might even risk an early brekkie!

Will there be beer of any kind at the finish? 

+...I imagine they let you go back a pen if you want... I was full of ambition when I put down my expected finish time but middle age hit me like a two by four this year and now my target is over half an hour slower! 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Hi Fido - I did the ultra and then the reverse on sunday. How did you get on?

I actually prefer the earlier starts as it helps with getting home afterwards.

There will ALWAYS be beer! Normally for the german races there is beer served in the specific 'restoration area'. The one in Cologne is sponsored by a supermarket so there's EVERYTHING you can dream of (pate, bread, cereal bars, beer, water, coke etc.) I expect something similar for Frankfurt!

• Might just head straight for the finish area then.

Yes it was low intensity of around 7+ minute miling. However, now I'm back home I have totally lost my running mojo and really can't get motivated. I'm almost to the point where I could chuck running altogether image

• Getting home after the race isn't going to be too much of an issue for me.  As long as I can finish before Thursday morning I should still be able to get to Luxemburg in time for my flight home. image

Every german race I've ran has given away erdinger alcohol frei beer as it is marketed as much as a sports drink in Germany as it is an alcohol free beer.  Munich last year was giving away chocolate milkshake which I have to say really hit the spot with me.  I'm more of a chocoholic than alkyholic these days!!!! image

Its all in your head MC Dave you have as much bounce on your avatar as always.  Night off tonight for me I'm just knackered.  10k race on Sunday which is the last race I've entered before Frankfurt other than the Glasgow half at the start of October.  The hard work will start properly next week again I've been a LOT short on miles this week image 

Fido you do realise its Germany you are going to and you are not allowed to run anything more or less than your target time.  As soon as the gun goes a man with a loudspeaker and jackboots will appear and run/goosestep behind you shouting eins zwei eins zwei eins zwei and keep pushing you along for the full 26.2 miles to ensure you are going schnell enough to arrive at the optimal time and avoid the kind of unnecessary disorder in the finish and baggage area than a lack of punctuality could bring.  Velcome to Deutschland ve have vays of making you run!!!! image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

MC Dave oh no!  Focus on the short term fella - just get out every day and do something.  Or maybe trawl the net for some ideas from coaches you've not followed before... image

Caniggia LoLimage

On the beer front, I only found the alcohol free stuff last year, but I guess those were the stands without massive queues...

700m run up a mountain yesterday. I say "run", that 7 miler has ruined my pace / HR stats for the month.  Legs are mashed and I have another 2 days of this...yodel-bloody-hey-he-hoo

• Thanks for the support guys and fortunately it was a temporary blip that was sorted with a 24 mile race recce on Saturday, 16 miles on Sunday and then a fell race yesterday.

Back in the game!

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

good to hear that Dave... that's some comeback too!

nice hill work teknik. what you lose in speed you gain in strength. you just need to overcome your number crunching geeknessimage

how'd the 10k go Caniggia?

running going well Fido & Emmy?

good solid month of 70+ mile weeks here - even managed to maintain it during the family holiday to cornwall. It did mean lots of very early mornings as a compromise but the beautiful sunrise views made it all worthwhile

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Good news MC Dave !

Johnas LOLimage

Heading for my biggest month ever, despite last week's cut-back week. Hope everyone is ok and progressingimage

• Hello everybody image

Thanks for asking Johnas.  It went really well.  I ran 38 mins dead which was over four minutes quicker than last week's horror show in Forfar.  Not really sure if I can claim a PB or not as I may not have followed the exact course (only 3 folk did) and I reckon along with Gary Garmin and his mates that we all ran about 200m or thereabouts shorter than we were supposed to.  As my previous PB was 38:39 I reckon I could have gone 200m in 39s and that course was REALLY short.  On properly measured courses its 39:18 so I was definitely quicker than that........or that's what I'm telling myself.

Nice to see you having fun again with your running MCDave.  I got sent an e-mail for a downhill hill race today which was a bit mad.  Much as I don't like going uphill in fell races I'm about as scared to come back down.  They haven't mentioned whether medical costs and life insurance is covered in the race entry.  For some reason cheese racing is coming to mind when I think what these races will look like!!!!

Now a wee question for you all having been the victim of a woman with a strange Tourette's/road rage combo on my run yesterday who was awfully upset at me for running down the left hand side of a country road instead of a right.  After screaming out her window she then blocked the road off in front of me to force me across the road and when I crossed back in front of her now parked car to return to the left she proceeded to tailgate me whilst swearing, shaking her fist and tooting her horn for the best part of half a mile until I lost the plot, told her she was a f***ing idiot and to get tae f***  imageimageimageimage

Now here is the theory if I run at the same speed or faster than the average person rides a bike in that area when they are out on a bimble in the countryside why ould I not run on the left hand side of the road?  I cannot for the life of me think of any sensible reasons why you would want to put yourself on the right hand side of the road running round blind corners into cars that cannot see you coming in the opposite direction.  If they do see you and there is a car passing you in the left lane at the same time there are only three options.  The car takes you out and kills you (which would be slightly inconvenient and I suspect ruin your run), you would have to take evasive action and jump in a hedge (again not ideal) or the car would swerve to avoid the runner hitting the other car and the passengers would all be killed and you would have it on your conscience until the day you die. image

Whereas if they come behind me and I run on the left (I never run with music to hear cars coming) I can A step to the side if you can get onto a shallow verge/farm entrance, B speed up to get clear of a corner before they arrive C slow down to allow them to pass before a corner or D if I can see further round a corner than they can wave them past when it is safe for them to go.  If they are coming from some distance back the person driving would have a better chance of seeing me go into a corner and slow down like you would if you saw a cyclist or at the end of a long straight or if the person has just gone into a corner or is coming out of a tight bend and hasn't previously spotted me they should already have hit the brakes and slowed down.  The unsuspecting person flying down an open road in t'other direction would hit you at 60mph plus the 9mph you are running the car hitting you would be at 40 and breaking - the

• Hello everybody image

Thanks for asking Johnas.  It went really well.  I ran 38 mins dead which was over four minutes quicker than last week's horror show in Forfar.  Not really sure if I can claim a PB or not as I may not have followed the exact course (only 3 folk did) and I reckon along with Gary Garmin and his mates that we all ran about 200m or thereabouts shorter than we were supposed to.  As my previous PB was 38:39 I reckon I could have gone 200m in 39s and that course was REALLY short.  On properly measured courses its 39:18 so I was definitely quicker than that........or that's what I'm telling myself.

Nice to see you having fun again with your running MCDave.  I got sent an e-mail for a downhill hill race today which was a bit mad.  Much as I don't like going uphill in fell races I'm about as scared to come back down.  They haven't mentioned whether medical costs and life insurance is covered in the race entry.  For some reason cheese racing is coming to mind when I think what these races will look like!!!!

Now a wee question for you all having been the victim of a woman with a strange Tourette's/road rage combo on my run yesterday who was awfully upset at me for running down the left hand side of a country road instead of a right.  After screaming out her window she then blocked the road off in front of me to force me across the road and when I crossed back in front of her now parked car to return to the left she proceeded to tailgate me whilst swearing, shaking her fist and tooting her horn for the best part of half a mile until I lost the plot, told her she was a f***ing idiot and to get tae f***  imageimageimageimage

Now here is the theory if I run at the same speed or faster than the average person rides a bike in that area when they are out on a bimble in the countryside why ould I not run on the left hand side of the road?  I cannot for the life of me think of any sensible reasons why you would want to put yourself on the right hand side of the road running round blind corners into cars that cannot see you coming in the opposite direction.  If they do see you and there is a car passing you in the left lane at the same time there are only three options.  The car takes you out and kills you (which would be slightly inconvenient and I suspect ruin your run), you would have to take evasive action and jump in a hedge (again not ideal) or the car would swerve to avoid the runner hitting the other car and the passengers would all be killed and you would have it on your conscience until the day you die. image

• Whereas if they come behind me and I run on the left (I never run with music to hear cars coming) I can A step to the side if you can get onto a shallow verge/farm entrance, B speed up to get clear of a corner before they arrive C slow down to allow them to pass before a corner or D if I can see further round a corner than they can wave them past when it is safe for them to go.  If they are coming from some distance back the person driving would have a better chance of seeing me go into a corner and slow down like you would if you saw a cyclist or at the end of a long straight or if the person has just gone into a corner or is coming out of a tight bend and hasn't previously spotted me they should already have hit the brakes and slowed down.  The unsuspecting person flying down an open road in t'other direction would hit you at 60mph plus the 9mph you are running the car hitting you would be at 40 and breaking - the 9mph you are running away from them which doesn't sound quite as sore an impact. 

Nobody in the history of time has ever cycled or driven a tractor on the wrong side of the road to allow other vehicles to undertake so why the hell should I????  Discuss!!!! image 

• ooooops my rant needed two posts!!!!!!!! image

Nitey nite I will sleep well now I have got that out my system. imageimage

• PCleasbyPCleasby ✭✭✭

You are in the right. The advice is to run into oncoming traffic unless there are blind bends. On your country lanes I you do right. Self preservation is the key!

Three weeks in Florida have completely knacked my preparations. After training like a monk for VLM and sneaking under the 3 hours, I seem to be inviting a world of pain into my life by having to play catch up in Sept and Oct. I have a local 10k next week, one of my annual favourites but I'm always coming off an indulgent holiday. After that at the end of Sept a local half where I have unfinished business in trying to go sub 1:30 but at my peak could be capable of 1:25. 

in conclusion I need train like a demon and eat lettuce. 

• JohnasJohnas ✭✭✭

I run on whichever side of the road is safest but agree, runnin into traffic on blind bends is a recipe for death, especially the way people drive on the country lanes round here.

Good to hear from you PC. You've had a storming year so far with all those PB's so the form is there. There's still a good 8 weeks or so to Frankfurt so plenty of time to train like a demon and eat lettuce. Not all lost by any stretch

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Caniggia -I think it's a common thing at the moment. A few people on other threads have been posting about getting roadrage from drivers. I can be lit up like a christmas tree and they'll still say: we didnt see you.

I think you were being overly polite in waiting that long to swear! I've been known to blast out a full barrage of swearing at motorists and i've hit a car before (that was veering in close to me to make a point).

PCleasby - Don't overtrain. Just take it easy. It's better to do less and have something in your tank on the day than risk being injured or empty.

• Caniggia - it was all about her, nothing to do with you. Imagine by contrast that you are driving along in a safe and moderate manner, happy as a clam and content with life, and you come round a corner to meet a runner - but as you are so careful all is well. Would you not roll down your window and cordially advise them that as some drivers are not as cautious, they might be safer running on the other side where the corners are blind, and to keep up the good work?

Clearly for whatever reason your presence just loosened the top of the ketchup bottle.  If she is a decent person she will be very ashamed later - if not, then she probably doesn't have many friends and lives a sad and angry life.

You did nothing wrong (I think even a vicar would have been hardpressed to act differently !).

• Well that was a bit less eventful tonight.  4 miles up the hill to Monikee and 4 miles back down again.  Don't know why I'm punishing myself on hills as Frankfurt is flat as a pancake even the bridges are tiny over the river.  Its supposed to be good for you...........

I'm trying hard not to get too worried about loonies.  Its a big bad and dangerous world out there with cars, guns, knives, 1980s children's entertainers etc out there.  You only die once!!!!! image

Don't know if any of you have done Boston or were eyeing it up.  Got an e-mail today saying that as a one off they are letting 36000 people run next year as they are inviting back all the people who couldn't finish this year whilst still making it possible for folk to qualify as normal and prevent the kind of knock on entry system carnage that came from deferments filling half the field like it did the year after the Icelandic volcano.  I think by the time we run in Frankfurt the entry will probably be filled up but a BQ in Frankfurt will probably be good enough for 2015 or if you have a tight BQ you thought wouldn't be good enough with 1000s places already filled you might have a better chance than you think.  If you ever get the chance to run it. DO IT.  it is the most awesome race I have ever run and I so want to go back and try it again when I am fit and healthy enough to do it justice. 

• Cani LOLimageimage

LR today, ran 20m as a progressive run at MP+15%/ +10%/ +5%/ MP in 5m sections.  Very happy the HR didn't explode in the last 5m uphill (poor planning).image

Only 8 weeks to go...

• would love to run Boston but with a Johnas junior due in feb '14, the marathons may have to take a backseat for a while!

nice long run Teknik - if you're nailing a progressive run like that then signs are very good indeed.

having a bit of a taper week here as racing Maidenhead half this Sunday. 15 miles for me yesterday with last 4 miles at tempo (5.40, 5.38, 5.35, 5.40).

• Hey Johnas congratualations on your news. Fantastic. Send my regards to P.

Trying to get back into some more significant mileage. 5 on Saturday, 17 on Sunday and it was going to be 10 today but forgetting to have a drink before I went out reduced me to a halt after 8 miles and a kindly couple fetching me a glass of water. 

Trudged home eating wild blackberries from the meadow which was the best part of the run. 

Onwards and Upwards!

• Yeah, I did my 19 miler on Sunday without gels or breakfast, just a carton of apple juice and "living off the land" (blackberries and a plum). Did get a bit tired at the end and had a three minute lie down after 18 1/2 miles, then rewarded myself with a lovely fresh apple from an overhanging branch just before turning into my road. People are too busy to harvest fruit but that's good for passing runners image

• Tasted much bettter than the Tesco blackberries we buy too. image

• PCleasby wrote (see)

Hey Johnas congratualations on your news. Fantastic. Send my regards to P.

Cheers PC... P doing well not drinking.... who'd have thought it!image

Must admit I too stopped for a few blackberries on my long run on Sunday too. nice and ripe at the moment! thanks Mother Nature

• Hi I'm after some advice from an experienced runner please???, I've been running for over 12 months 20-40 miles per week and completed the Manchester marathon (3.45)in April and 5 half marathons since(best 1.35). My dilemma is this - I have the chester  marathon in 4 weeks, I've been back running for 2 weeks after 10 week lay off after a pulled muscle in my groin. Is it possible i could still run chester if I slow my pace down. i was aiming for sub 3.30, but i would settle for 4.30. I've ran 15 miles twice and I plan on going 2 40 mile plus weeks including an 16/18 miler and prob a few 10s 

thanks

• Phil82 wrote (see)

Is it possible i could still run chester if I slow my pace down.

simple answer is yes. adopting a run / walk strategy will get you round if you are fully recovered from your injury. any reason you feel the need to complete the marathon considering the huge lay off?

• Thanks for reply. No real reason why I want to run it other than its my local marathon and I just love running in races. I'm not overly bothered about times I just like being there and being part of it he experience! i was thinking if I can get 18/20 miles in one piece  then run/walk last 10k

• well, if a time is not important and you're over your injury, can't see why you can't complete it by adopting a sensible strategy relevant to your fitness. Good luck!

• Congratulations Johnas! I trust this means there is no danger of rounds of Sambuca?

• I tried to 'live off the land' on a run once.  I wouldn't recommend the mushrooms. imageimageimage

Phil as long as you are able to run a comfy 15 without the injury flaring up you should be fine.  Just make sure you have plenty of rest days (a 3/4 runs/week strategy might stop the problem coming back) and be a bit wary about speed sessions if you have pulled a muscle as there is a chance it can go pop again.  There will be lots of people struggling by 18 miles (probably myself included) and reduced to death shuffle or walking so you won't be alone having a wander in the last few miles.

Congratulations Johnas. image

• Phil82 yes, I've done it myself. It's an interesting exercise in using the non-training pieces of the puzzle to the max. Carboloading, energy gels, sport drink, pacing, mental strategies, stretching and strength work + getting more sleep...

In fact I did Abingdon (my local marathon! ) last year after a very scrappy longest run of 18 miles, in 4:30... My tip is start easy at the back and toddle gently through the field so you get to meet as many people as possible!