Paris Marathon 2014

Comments

• DV - you are the only guy I know who runs so far, yoiu have to give it a name. Funny! Great idea I have to say. Will you draw other people into the gig?

Kaz - lovesick, maybe that's it. I can't wait for the Maus to come be with me.

HS - if I actually felt under the weather in any regards, i would go to the doc. But I feel tremendous on top of my skinnyness and it's not that OIm losing more everyday, it's just my weight has dipped to what would be a low point and it's not bounced back up. It's a bit weird - I'm not particularly worried, just in search of better understanding. Maus thinks it could just be accumulated stress this year and she may well be right. But I feel very fortunate, very [insert old fashioned word, but it feels apt....] blessed.

Big shout out to Leeds Rob - do some training fella. You've got a mara coming up.

• Someone on the book of faces wanted to ask me some questions about HR monitors and training according to HR. I'm only a pretend expert but am willing to take a few questions and piece together a reply that might help a few people out. So, your chance to ask anything you want about it and I'll give it my best.

• LWA - I've only been running for 3years and I remember very clearly Running past the 10k mark and saying to Mrs O 'that is the furthest I have ever run'.

Now, like you, this would be an 'only' distance.

I now consider anything over a half as being long.

Weedy - would you add a race to your marvellous list please?

May 25th - Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon image

• Fair enough TD, and Maus is maybe right about it being stress. The lightest I've ever been (under 7 stone and looked awful) was during the most stressful period of my life. I did also completely lose my appetite though? I guess if you feel good and healthy then it's maybe not a problem. However you should really get stuck into all the chocolate, then the rest of us won't feel quite as obliged to eat it maybe?

• So, going off the info on Jimbob's link, is around 11 on 16 Sept the earliest one can enter? I was all prepared to be up at silly o'clock, have registered with aso challenges.  I'm stupidly excited.

• Just checked and I can get logged onto ASO Challenges!image

• Kirsten - that's 11am France time, so it'll be 10am Englandish time. Last year it was a bit chaotic with the page crashing and freezing every time you entered. I was one of the lucky ones and managed to get my place within an hour, but some took three or four hours and were charged for two entries. Having said that, they might have fixed things this time round.

DV - sounds like a great challenge. Give me a shout when you get round to Durham and I'll sort out a route for you.

Kaz - good to hear.

Aaron - When I started I couldn't even run 100 metres. Never ceases to amaze me that I can run farther than that.

HS - TRAINERS!

Emmy H wrote (see)
    Weedy Gonzalez wrote (see)
    Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

Lascivious Sensual Recreation? LSR.... Might explain Weedy's outfit then. image

I'm more Looking Slightly Reprehensible

I thought it was: Looking slightly risqueimage

Nowhere near as risque as yours. Poor James B's going to have to be banned from looking at the pictures in case his heart rate hits 150 image

• Thanks Weedy.  And you only need the medical cert for the marathon weekend?

• Yep Kirsten. You'll only need it when you go and collect your number. For 2012 they allowed you to email a scanned copy in but we weren't allowed to do that for 2013, and it wasn't worth running the risk of turning up without it anyway.

Fear not! This topic will be much discussed for the next 6 months. If there's some bizarre additional requirement, you'll find it moaned about here first!

• TD - I don't think there is any point, or success, to putting on weight.  You are genetically thin. What would putting on weight achieve?  There is a great danger to very thin people, who in an attempt to put on weight eat a lot of "wrong" foods as they are more "fattening", and do not put on weight but they do create the same problems within their coronary arteries as everyone else.  Unless you are unwell, there is likely nothing wrong with you.  At least physicallyimage

• Would you like me to issue some sort of certificate, Dr Dannirr? The UN can do those kind of things...

• Dannirr wrote (see)

TD - I don't think there is any point, or success, to putting on weight.  You are genetically thin. What would putting on weight achieve?  There is a great danger to very thin people, who in an attempt to put on weight eat a lot of "wrong" foods as they are more "fattening", and do not put on weight but they do create the same problems within their coronary arteries as everyone else.  Unless you are unwell, there is likely nothing wrong with you.  At least physicallyimage

Hi Dannirr - just to be clear on the subject, I'm not worried. Am just curious why my weight has dipped to an unusually low level and seems to be staying there. It doesn't correlate with my usual experience. I've never tried to manage my weight - it just is what it is. But I am incredibly lean, with body fat often below 7% these days. Muscles are popping up all over the place but I look like I am wearing borrowed clothes. Swings and roundabouts. I'm not going to change my diet particularly but am making a bit of an effort to eat a little bit more.

Wishing you all a fabulous day - expecting 28C here in Brussels and 31 tmrw image

• Holy Moly thats hot TD........we are averaging 17C now and very hummid. Never noticed this before but its awful! 

• Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
    Dannirr wrote (see)

TD - I don't think there is any point, or success, to putting on weight.  You are genetically thin. What would putting on weight achieve?  There is a great danger to very thin people, who in an attempt to put on weight eat a lot of "wrong" foods as they are more "fattening", and do not put on weight but they do create the same problems within their coronary arteries as everyone else.  Unless you are unwell, there is likely nothing wrong with you.  At least physicallyimage

Hi Dannirr - just to be clear on the subject, I'm not worried. Am just curious why my weight has dipped to an unusually low level and seems to be staying there. It doesn't correlate with my usual experience. I've never tried to manage my weight - it just is what it is. But I am incredibly lean, with body fat often below 7% these days. Muscles are popping up all over the place but I look like I am wearing borrowed clothes. Swings and roundabouts. I'm not going to change my diet particularly but am making a bit of an effort to eat a little bit more.

Wishing you all a fabulous day - expecting 28C here in Brussels and 31 tmrw image

You've not been involved in the detonation of an experimental gamma bomb, by any chance?

• Run Across East Sussex is on for Sunday.   Mrs DV will drop me off at Burgess Hill and I'll run across to Rye.   This will be about 45 - 49 miles depending on which route I take.  I'll probably start about 8am and it'll take as long as it takes.  No rush.  I just want to get back out there and enjoy running again.

Anyone in the area who would like to join me for a run or for a coffee/cake along the way will be very welcome.

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

Run Across East Sussex is on for Sunday.   Mrs DV will drop me off at Burgess Hill and I'll run across to Rye.   This will be about 45 - 49 miles depending on which route I take.  I'll probably start about 8am and it'll take as long as it takes.  No rush.  I just want to get back out there and enjoy running again.

Anyone in the area who would like to join me for a run or for a coffee/cake along the way will be very welcome.

A while back I'd looked at a few similar jaunts as you can usually use "County Ways" - great idea and I wish you all the best! I'd love to join you for an hour or two but I'm getting a niggle in my hip that I'm doing my best to listen to (despite desperately wanting to keep my resurgence of passion for running alive!).

ATM - The Falkirk Wheel! Did you know that turning the thing uses the same energy as boiling just 8 kettles? image Marvellous things, bearings. Well engineered and form that impresses as much as function. We need more stuff like this! image

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Dark Vader wrote (see)

That is such a great clip...   I'd forgotten all about that.

Perfectly normal behaviour....   

You are my forrest gump. You're amazing! Good luck DV!

Weedy - I'll just send it to Jimbob so he can verify it's risquenessimage

• TheEngineer wrote (see)

You've not been involved in the detonation of an experimental gamma bomb, by any chance?

If he starts turning green it might be time to panic. image

• ATMATM ✭✭✭

It's a great idea, DV. Can you take some photos so we get to travel without the faff of actually running? image

Bearings! Of course....image It's pretty spectacular...( Let's forget the Tay Bridge...).Don't exclude that run, DV. It's along the canal towpath. The locks at the West are Victorian(?)..hand-cranked. Seeing a boat go through is pretty interesting...errr, You know what I mean.

And we could meet you in the ' sail through' chippy...

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_PrkwDJGzZuY/TA-ikVI0sfI/AAAAAAAAAws/av8PkS1jEKQ/s200/Fish+%26+chips.jpg

Chips, TD! No?

• Mrs DV and a bunch of her cycling friends will be joining us in Paris to run the race in 2014.  For most of them it will be their first marathon.   I've pointed them in this direction and hopefully they will come and say hello here very soon.

• PC -PC - ✭✭✭

Quick tidy up, Mrs DV is coming.  What an honour ! Will she me known as Mrs DV or Padmé Amidala ?  It's going to be a tight squeeze if she's bringing her friends, we might have to knock out a few walls.

TD - I think it's too early for questions on HRM, I've only used it a few times.  I did 220-age and use a HR range.  Perhaps in the future I'll calculate the HHR% to be more precise.  My runs are slower at the beginning, I have a more constant pace thus running further.  It's basic but I'm happy.  Any comments are always welcome. You like to push it to 100%, is that for intervals, faster finish ?

JB73 who ?

• Although I refer to her here as Mrs DV she actually has had her own forum identity for several years as Classical Diva.   At one time she was one of the pirates and did a few tri-sprints.   She has done a couple of 10k's and a half-mara but that was a few years ago and we'll be going back to basics with her training for Paris.   Although she is new to running, she is a keen cyclist and can knock out 100 miles on the bike without any trouble...  so, I'm hoping that she will be comfortable with marathon training once she gets started.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Hi all. Some fantastic running going on here. Feeling jealous of the Berlin crew but glad I haven't had to go through mara training recently. 

Signed up for the Powderham 10k this Sunday so might try again at going below 42mins but not sure I have it in me right now. 

Passed the 1000 mile mark this year by the end of August so was really chuffed. 

I'm going to have to wait to see if I'm in London before considering signing up for Paris but it is tempting me with the doors almost open. 

• TrevO wrote (see)

Passed the 1000 mile mark this year by the end of August so was really chuffed. 

Yup, me too.  Happy about that.  Expecting to put  a lot more miles in the 2nd part of the year as I have a few big events coming up.

DV - great new plan for your runs.  If you can carry a small camera, after you have completed all the runs it would make a lovely book, or at least article for the print version of RW.

• Subject to what my wife says and the medical experts I am going to pencil in the Liverpool Half Marathon in March 2014 as my first race back.

So the plan is, if the CT scan goes well in the middle of October, is to run gently up to christmas and follow a steady 2 hour plan for the half.

A PB will be out of the question.image for the moment.

And my heart rate did go up considerably at the site of a tit on page 3.

• Subject to what my wife says and the medical experts I am going to pencil in the Liverpool Half Marathon in March 2014 as my first race back.

So the plan is, if the CT scan goes well in the middle of October, is to run gently up to christmas and follow a steady 2 hour plan for the half.

A PB will be out of the question.image for the moment.

And my heart rate did go up considerably at the sight of a tit on page 3.

• ooo posted it twice. One with the spelling error, the other without.

• TrevOTrevO ✭✭✭

Good to see you on here jb73. Just remember to take things slowly. 

• Dark Vader wrote (see)

Although I refer to her here as Mrs DV she actually has had her own forum identity for several years as Classical Diva.   At one time she was one of the pirates and did a few tri-sprints.   She has done a couple of 10k's and a half-mara but that was a few years ago and we'll be going back to basics with her training for Paris.   Although she is new to running, she is a keen cyclist and can knock out 100 miles on the bike without any trouble...  so, I'm hoping that she will be comfortable with marathon training once she gets started.

DV: Does this mean you are coaching Mrs DV to marathon glory?

Just interested to know...I may be considering how best to, um, exploit the, ahem, talents of a certain fellow runner for my own gain.image

It would be a purely professional relationship, of course.image

And I would do everything I'm told.image