Amsterdam 2013

Comments

• If you are still looking for accommodation - I have paid a deposit on a 2 bedroom flat very close to the race start. Email me on timothyakstone@gmail.com for more info. 

• Goalpost - I stayed at the Citizen M at the airport last year and would recommend it if you're on your own. Rooms are v small tho, so if you're with anyone else, you'd best be good friends with them. They're a bit odd in that the shower and toilet are part of the room, with curved glass screens you slide round for privacy. There's a Citizen M in central Amsterdam too, so make sure you book the right one.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

don't forget that Amsterdam has a lot of good hostels/b&b's so that might be an option if the hotels are looking too pricey.

• Dean NDean N ✭✭✭

Carrot.  wouldn't worry too much about the half last sun , I don't think it's that important   In the marathon buildup , incidentally did you run Barca a couple oy years ago , seem to recall the name ,

no I won't be using the trainers in amsterdam , will probably get a new pair of lighter trainers for race day,

• Dean - yes I did Barcelona in 2011, it's a lovely marathon!  Going back for more next year image I've been getting a pair the new Mizuno Wave Sayonara (I've always trained and raced in Wave Riders) - they feel so much lighter!  I did wear them on Sunday - that was one of the good points, they felt really good.  Just not sure if they're suitable for a full marathon.  I'll try them out for a few longer runs before deciding.

Goalpost - Amsterdam does indeed have an excellent tram system, you can just buy a travel card for a few days fairly cheap.  The trams are Amsterdam's version of the Underground - lots of stations, easy to read maps, easy to get about.  Maybe a bit cleaner!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Carrot wrote (see)

Dean - yes I did Barcelona in 2011, it's a lovely marathon!  Going back for more next year image 

Goalpost - Amsterdam does indeed have an excellent tram system, you can just buy a travel card for a few days fairly cheap.  The trams are Amsterdam's version of the Underground - lots of stations, easy to read maps, easy to get about.  Maybe a bit cleaner!

I'll see you in Barcelona Carrot!

I agree about the tram system. Super easy to use, cheap, clean. The only issue is that on marathon morning - they can be VERY busy so plan your trip accordingly.

• GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Have gone with Citizen M in the end right in the airport and close to the train station so special thanks to Weedy for the recommendation. Thank you to all for the around town travel advice, all very helpful. I can at last concentrate solely on the training.

• Thanks for the link to the transport info, SweatySock. I'll also be heading from Central Station. Goalpost, I'm also aiming for 3.15/20. So I might bump into one or both of you at various stages!

I seem to have got to that point in training where I'm picking up niggles. Heroically (stupidly) I'm going to ignore them for tomorrow's 20 miles.

Hope everyone has a good run this weekend.

• i-Plodder - with that kind of time, the only way you'll be bumping in to me is on the tram on the way there or in the pub after.  

I'm starting to feel a bit inadequate with all this talk of 3.15 maras and Carrot's "shocking" 1.33 for a half.

Nice and slow 18 miles for me tomorrow morning.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Anyone who has done it before able to help me with a question -

Is someone else able to pick up my number from the expo? I am flying in Sat afternoon so will be pushing it to get to the expo but a friend is flying in a couple hours before me and could make it. Not sure if they would need a form or something completed by me, similar to London if you want to pick someone elses number up for them.

Hope all your training is going well image

• GoalpostGoalpost ✭✭✭

Sweaty Sock - I will applaud anyone who spends a longer time on their feet during a marathon than I do so no worries. What I love about the marathon is everyone's different ciurcumstances before and during the race. The comaraderie was great in my first marathon in Brighton so with a more international field in Amsterdam that will be interesting. I would love to think 1.33 is a shocking time as that would be a four minute PB for me.

i-plodder -  I had a dodgy right leg before Brighton this year but made it round and never felt it after the marathon. Phantom injuries start creeping in at this stage and foam rollering becomes a pastime for a for weeks.

• Did my 18 miles along the canal path to Wigan in bright sunshine.  Only realised the wind was so strong when I about turned after 9 miles and had the wind directly in my face all the way back.  Dodgy leg held up ok, it was the rest of me that was suspect.

1.33 for a half would be 12 minute PB for me.  I've only ever done one half - Freckleton last year.

• Hi everyone - I have just realised reading this forum that i am arriving in amsterdam at 6pm! what time does the expo close and is it open early sunday morning?

was not thinking when i booked it up! argh just got the cheapest flights

• Sweaty, i did a similar thing yesterday went for a 15 mile run (as i have been lazy over summer and only been doing 10k's a couple of times a week image) along the sea front.

Thought i was doing well untill i turned around into an almightly headwind all the way back! Made me realise i was a bit out of shape compared to last winter. oh dear how long till Amsterdam? was not going to train for this marathon but yesterday made me realise it might be worth putting in a few longer runs!

• Paul - I believe you can collect race number on the day. Expo closes at 19:00 on Saturday and re-opens at 07:30 on race day.

Managed 22 miles on Saturday with four at goal marathon pace which left me shattered for the final cool down mile. Very pleased at accomplishing the feat until I looked at my training for Brighton and showed I had someway to go to! At least the back has loosened up since the run. Just have to see what the 20 miler brings next week.

• goalpost - wow - i dont generally train past 16 miles,but for london next year i wanb to go sub 3hr so may have to slog a few longer ones out - i dont really like the long runs though......image

what do you need to take to the expo to collect the number, chip shirt etc? there is no online info for this.

•  Carrot  yes Barca was a great marathon highly reccommend it , I had to pull out at the eleventh hour in 2011 due to injury but ran in 2012.

Been reading up on the sayanoras good like a good shoe , I usually run marathons in ds trainers, was thinking of picking up a new pair for Amsterdam def tempted by the sayanoras, have you tried them on a long run as yet?

Goalpost well done on the 22 on the weekend  and running part at marathon pace , I done 22 myself yes today but nothing near MP , legs were a bit tired last night , 

How did everyone else go with there long ones. paul can't believe you don't go longer than 16 !

• Dean, I dont generally try and go longer than 16 as it seems to cause more damage than benefit, and i would probably get injured (plus i really dont enjoy it). However for London next year i might have to as i really want to give a sub 3hr marathon a go I'm not getting any younger and will be 42 so time is not on my side.

Not had a problem with 26 miles from a training base of up to 16 miles, but perhaps i could hold a better pace ith i ran longer!

Anyone know what you need to take to the expo to collect your number ? do you get a confirmation email or just take passport?

• That is an interesting approach you have Paul to your training. This is only my second marathon so I do not have the confidence nor the experience to try anything different. Would you run 10 the day before the 16 to replicate the effects?

Good question Paul - I don't actually know, I would take passport and race entry confirmation to be on the safe side.

What gels are supplied? I am using SiS gels left over from Brighton as they do not expire until November but need to replenish stocks in the next week or so. I feel sick at the thought of consuming 27 gels out of a box of 30.

• Goalpost.

I dont use gels, tried them when i started running a couple of years ago, but not very nice really. I find a few bananas before the race and a few sports drinks round the course are enough to get me through. (a bit bizarre as i do have a couple in my back pocket but never use them.)

The cliff block gels at brighton were yummy so if I was to use any i would use them - but would probably eat them on the couch watching TV!

no i dont run 10 miles before 16!!! I do 6 miles tuesday and 5miles thursday and 12-18max (normally 16) on sunday. so 27 miles a week. Not a lot really i guess. but hoping if i can up the miles i can get down to sub 3hr (brighton last year was 3:13). But dont want to get injured or find it to painful 

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Paul Went wrote (see)

Dean, I dont generally try and go longer than 16 as it seems to cause more damage than benefit, and i would probably get injured (plus i really dont enjoy it). However for London next year i might have to as i really want to give a sub 3hr marathon a go I'm not getting any younger and will be 42 so time is not on my side.

Not had a problem with 26 miles from a training base of up to 16 miles, but perhaps i could hold a better pace ith i ran longer!

Anyone know what you need to take to the expo to collect your number ? do you get a confirmation email or just take passport?

Generally - running less than 18 miles is going into dangerous territory but if it works for you. I would always do a few 20/22 milers in preparation.

For the expo - you'll need your confirmation of race entry and ID (passport). If you're going on saturday - expect a queue image

Goalpost wrote (see)

That is an interesting approach you have Paul to your training. This is only my second marathon so I do not have the confidence nor the experience to try anything different. Would you run 10 the day before the 16 to replicate the effects?

What gels are supplied? I am using SiS gels left over from Brighton as they do not expire until November but need to replenish stocks in the next week or so. I feel sick at the thought of consuming 27 gels out of a box of 30.

I don't think they do supply gels from memory. If you've used SiS in training - then use them on race day. Don't play around with something new as you're risking the dreaded Gingerbread man image

Also, you wont find SiS, High5 over in Europe. They'll have powerbar and a few other 'localised' brands so if you're used to one brand - stick to it.

RE: Distances - When training you need to find a training plan that works for you. For me - it was never a physical thing for needing to run 20 miles - it was mental - i needed to know that i could get to that point to give me confidence. It's only been in the last 10 marathons that i've started to play with pace/distance etc and that's only because I feel comfortable in knowing that no matter how crappy I feel - i'll get to the end.

• Emmy,

I really agree its a mental thing. I trained long for my first marathon and got injured. then i ran berlin marathon off no running for 4 months due to injury (except one 5 mile run the week before). That gave me great belief that i can always run the distance no matter what. I think my main area is to try and run faster comfortably and economically and i am not sure slogging a 20 miler will assist?I run low mileage base as i know i cant handle high mileage, so try and train more intensive.

Regarding confirmation of entry - do they email a confirmation of entry ? or did we get one when we paid?

thanks all

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Consistency is just as important as fitting miles in, no point trying to put in big runs if it leaves you too tired or forces you to miss other sessions. Got to do what works for you.

Personally, I love the long runs and the high intensity stuff too image

• paul - assuming it's the same as previous years, they post you a confirmation which you take along on the day to collect number etc. they moved the expo and collection around last year but in the 5 years i've been going, i've never had to queue for longer than 2 minutes (and that's always been on the Saturday too).

don't expect anything special from the expo - it's basically a sports hall with a few stands. nothing amazing so don't rely on picking up your favourite brand of gels etc there. best go prepared!

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Johnas wrote (see)

don't expect anything special from the expo - it's basically a sports hall with a few stands. nothing amazing so don't rely on picking up your favourite brand of gels etc there. best go prepared!

definitely agree with this. There's nothing really flashy there. It's a pretty poor expo in comparison to others that i've been to.

• Thanks people - I only use the expo to collect my number anyway - smaller the better i say. Berlin so was massive i had to walk miles the day before the marathon just to get my number.

WiB - I dont like the long runs or the intesity stuff - just the intensity stuff is painful for a shorter time than the long stuff! (hmmm why do i do this running thing againimage)

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Sounds like you really enjoy it. image

• Strange but no not really ever enjoyed running, does anyone really physically enjoy running? slogging your guts out for miles in the rain, wind and heat? I love the effects of it though, and feel great for it which is why i do it.

Now here is the weird bit - I really miss it when i can't run due to injury! work that out! Do i need to see a Shrink? image

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I can hoenstly say that, yes, I do enjoy running. If I didn't I wouldn't do it image

I can kind of see your point though... I think! image Completely agree on the missing it when not able to do it.

• and it provides a good excuse to go round europe running marathons image

What recommendations do people have of other marathons? I thought Berlin was great and Rome was good. Done Brighton a couple of times (Awesome marathon) and qualified for London next year. Only one left on my hit list is really New York. (might do the Mont blanc marathon next year). Any thoughts from anyone?