London World Champs

Anybody racing in the age group world champs in September? Just 6 weeks to go now.. time's flying by!

Comments

• my missus, Petal, is doing the standard, as is (I think) Joddly - not sure on anyone else.  I assume you're in the standard for Ireland B_K??

I got a rolldown place for the standard but declined it - I'm racing XTERRA the weekend before and that's been my main focus (even got a new bike for it).  I'd not even given the Worlds a thought as I didn't expect to get a place, so because of that and the need of coughing up a load more money for the entry and GB kit, I declined.

I'll be there are a volunteer for 4 days - so look out for me in transition...

• boing!!

this is next week - who's coming out to support Team GB???

all the info is on here - http://worldtrilondon.com/ and the 5 day race schedule here - http://worldtrilondon.com/race_info/general/schedule

Petal and Joddly are racing on Sunday 15th in standard champs along with some Irish bloke called B_Kins... image  and there's a couple of pirates (Budjude and AJH) racing in the Open event on Saturday.  don't know if anyone is in the age group sprint races on Friday though.

I've volunteered for duties on Wed/Fri/Sat/Sun so will be fannying around in transition - shouting at foreigners no doubt and having calm reassuring words for the GB lot...image

bar those who have Grandstand tickets for the Elite Men and Women's races, you can view from more or less anywhere else on the courses

this will be the biggest triathlon event ever held in the UK and Trafalgar Square becomes tricentral from Wednesday through Sunday for opening and closing ceremonies.

come along if you can

go Team GB and fingers crossed for World Champs galore!!

• I'm volunteering Fri/Sat in the equipment team (whatever that is).

• Managed to grab a place in the OD open race on the Saturday...and VIP access over the weekend image

• IC5 - no doubt our paths will cross at sometime them - and have no idea where the equipment team is, or where it is based either!!  at least transition is easy to understand..

• I am intrigued with the AG champs. Would love to be able to do them one day

• Stanners from the Bridge wrote (see)

Managed to grab a place in the OD open race on the Saturday...and VIP access over the weekend image

thats even jammier then me winning entry.

still no idea what time / wave i will start image

• We're bringing Paperman Minor and we've got tickets for Sunday.

• Rocco. wrote (see)

I am intrigued with the AG champs. How hard is it to qualify? I know it isnt going to be easy, especially in certain age groups, but is it completely out the question for a "normal" person to get there? Im guessing sprint will be harder to qualify than OD?

I have read that its around 115% of the age group winners time to qualify?

how long is a piece of string??

yes - you're right in that some a/g's are much more competitive than others (25-45 are the uber competitive ones) so you need to be up there with the best in the country to start with.  but it's also true to say that the older you get, the greater the chance but even then it's tough.

to be in with a chance you really need to be good at all 3 disciplines plus be quick in transition (sprint especially) as seconds can make differences.  for standard distance in the most competitive male a/g's you need to be looking at the 2hr mark overall to start with - and even there a minute can mean 20 places!!

if you have the talent, the motivation and are prepared to train it's possible 

the 115% relates to the qualifiers.  there are usually 3 qualifying races each year for GB places (sprint and standard) - the 1st 5 in each race qualify by rights, plus some have pre-qualified by previous results at World Champs (podium spots usually).  once those places are sorted they then operate a rolldown principle and unless you're within 115% of the race winner for the event you entered (you can enter all 3 if needed but only qualify from one), you won't get a place.   there are some discretionary places (for talented who may be injured at qualifiers but have previously raced GB)  if not all slots are taken up but that tends to only happen in the much older a/gs where there aren't so many competing.

my missus got her place by rights (3rd at Dambuster); I was offered one on rolldown as I was within 115% of the winning time but declined as I'm racing XTERRA this weekend which has been my main aim this year.   but to give an idea of how tough the competition can be even there - 62 registered to compete for  places in the male 60-64 a/g which I'm in for 25 slots.   in the female 60-64, 15 registered but only 12 places out of 25 have been awarded - no discretionary ones.  and this year GB had 25 slots as host nation - normally it's 18.

and the fastest qualifying time in the 60-64 male was 2:10 but he is a multiple world champ however.

it perhaps becomes easier when World Champs are in far flung lands as not so many try for places as you have to fund yourself and not everyone can afford to do this.  this year was unusual as it was the UK so competition was very very very intense.

• Thanks FB that's great. Im in 25-29 so no chance anytime soon but is always something to think of and dream off.

Are the champs going to be televised?

• No idea why my post got changed, I went back to sort out spelling as stupid ipad always changes words, and it changed back to the original post I wrote then deleted, how strange image

• they're not being televised live but the Elite Men and Womens races will be on some TV Channel in due course (C4 I think) but you can get live streaming of the elite races here - http://www.triathlonlive.tv/ - but at a cost.

• Elite women live on BBC red button Saturday morning. Elite Men live on BBC2 according to TriNews which has just fallen on the mat 

• Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)

Elite women live on BBC red button Saturday morning. Elite Men live on BBC2 according to TriNews which has just fallen on the mat 

ah - nice one Dave - didn't know that (have TriNews but not read it yet).

the elite men is almost a rerun of the Olympics race as based on points so far either of the Brownlees or Gomez could win.   shoud be a cracker!  not sure where I'll watch it as I'll have been working in transition with the a/gers that morning so don't know what access rights I get yet

• i had hoped to stay but going to be a cheapstake and drive down and back in a day.

wonderfully i will thus probably miss the eltie women on the saturday and then have to watch the men from the comfort of the sofa on the sunday.

• Yeah FB, missed your last post on this. Yeah I'm in for the aquathon on Wednesday and the standard on Sunday. Can't wait!

• I'll look out for you on Wednesday as well then as I'm also in transition that day.  You can't really miss me - ex-prop forward, very short greying hair and a white goatee - say hello.

• fat buddha wrote (see)

I'll look out for you on Wednesday as well then as I'm also in transition that day.  You can't really miss me - ex-prop forward, very short greying hair and a white goatee - say hello.

Or if its dark run a mile ! image

• Rocco. wrote (see)

Thanks FB that's great. Im in 25-29 so no chance anytime soon but is always something to think of and dream off.

Bear in mind that's just one team.  There are standard (olympic) and sprint teams, and the long distance worlds as well.  Then there are duathlon and aquathlon teams, and there are european champs as well as worlds.  Not all those teams are as elite as you might think and if you really want to get into a team there are lots of opportunities. 

• Cheerful Dave wrote (see)
    Rocco. wrote (see)

Thanks FB that's great. Im in 25-29 so no chance anytime soon but is always something to think of and dream off.

Bear in mind that's just one team.  There are standard (olympic) and sprint teams, and the long distance worlds as well.  Then there are duathlon and aquathlon teams, and there are european champs as well as worlds.  Not all those teams are as elite as you might think and if you really want to get into a team there are lots of opportunities. 

yep - CD is right - it's not all down to one event type.  qualification for long distance squads is more relaxed and there aren't qualifiers per se - but you need to be able to show some good results from previous IM distance races (within an 18month timeframe I think).

and there is also CrossTri (off road tri basically) and Winter Tri (XC ski, MTB, run) GB squads.

DtS - ferk orf... image

• Will do FB. These early starts will be interesting. The standard starts at around 7am. That means beer starts at around 10am. Its going to be a long day!! Do you know how the transition is setup? I assume that the racks would be numbered rather than pick your own spot? Are we grouped by country / age group / randomly?

• I'm as much in the dark as you are on transition set-up BK - I know nothing!

all I know is what time I'm expected each day, how long I'm needed for, where I need to report - and that's it.  I'm kind of hoping I might get a bit more info in the next couple of days.

I do know however that the Elite races have separate transitions to the age groupers as their racking will be as ITU World Cup events - nicely blue carpeted and all that guff.   age groupers will be the poor relations I guess as usual... image

• BK - just been flicking through the final competitor pack - http://worldtrilondon.com/uploads/WTL13_Age_Group_CIG.pdf - all 80 frigging pages of it - most of which is irrelevant!

looks like racking is in race number order (page 49/50) - and I guess numbers will be by country and a/g but that's not explained

• So that's the aquathon done. Really good standard, as expected! Finished the 1k swim in 15:45 which was a PB and recorded 1.15k.. About 3 minutes off the fastest swimmers. Never felt great on the run but did the 5k in 18:30, 2 minutes of the fastest, to finish well inside the top half overall but still with about 180 guys ahead. 32 out of 60 in the 25 to 29s in just over 35 minutes.
  • That's pretty solid BK, nice one. 

• Stanners! Was nice to meet you yesterday as you whizz we past me on the bike image

• Seen a few pirate kits yesterday. All looking well! Did the Olympic today. Swim was cut in half and finished under 12 minutes. 40k bike in 1:04 and the 10k run in 37 plus big transitions to finish in 1:58. Very pleased with top half within the age group!
  • Was there an Open age group Aquathon race, or just the one you have to qualify for?

• I didn't think there was an open aquathon and I don't see results from one but there was always something happening. Could well have been.