Ikano Robin Hood Marathon and Half Marathon

Has anybody ever done the Robin Hood marathon?

Comments

• Yeah. 2010, I think. I believe it`s a slightly different course now. TBH, although it was my first, I didn`t think it was a great course. Well organised though and I`m thinking about doing it as it`s quite close to home and at the right time for me.

• Cheers.  Think I'll give it a go...image

• Just signed up to this, as a few weeks of injury has seen my plan to run the Wolverhampton marathon blown out of the water. Supposed to be flat and fast.

• I haven't done it, but people say the first half is nice (same as half marathon) and the second half is a bit boring because less well supported. I imagine the new route will be similar, but don't worry, because I am doing the half, so will be there to cheer you on from the pub balcony as you get near the end.

• Looks like I`ll be entering last minute. They don`t seem to want to tell me whether there will be an eod option so might have to plunge in the next day or two. Not looking forward to the riverbank paths and hope it`s not too windy around the water!

• I live in Nottingham, so I'm doing this one as a one off. For my £29.95 it says that I'll get a medal and a goody bag. I also noticed on the race website that they are selling race t-shirts for £15. Sounds like a bit of a money making exercise to me, but I'll give it a go this once.

• I've just ran a hilly marathon yesterday in Scotland and did it 4hrs bang on so keen to run a flat course very soon to get sub 4. Is this race really as flat as it says?

• it isn't the old bumpy first half then flat second half.

I have been assured it is the half from last year that is flat and then a new second half that is also very flat.

I tried to plot it on one of the mapping sites a few weeks ago and it looked flat. will try to find site and post it.

I treid to book on this morning but it was trying to charge the late £5 fee.

will book on later regardless. Well done on yesterday. I did wolverhampton yesterday and was 5 mins quicker than than last year and its lumpy rather than hilly. only a minute outside pb so should be on for pb at notts with the right conditions.

• I`m in now too, finally. Did 15.5 yesterday at 8.45 m/m`s which is pretty much MP but that was in hilly Sheffield. Planning a 20-22 next weekend where I shall have to nail pacing and food. No real target until I`ve done that.

• The £5 has been lifted. Ive booked on. 

it was gb.mapometer site I plotted it. Selected to share but can't seem to make it be found. Will try to sort it later and post again. 

I called it "Nottingham marathon approx psp"

• Anyone know owt about drinks / gels etc for full? Last time there was some Lucozade and gels available later on in the race.

• I have done it for the past 7 years, it used to be a nice route with a few hills through Wollaton park, now it's flat and goes through boots factory car park...not quite the same, but it is flat and well organised, bit pricey to be honest but it's on my door step...there is plenty of drinks stops....plus food, beer tents at the end...oh and a sweatshop tent...

• Done the half or the marathon for the last few years as it's on the doorstep. From the website the map looks the same as last year for the first half, which is very quick now, but as stated above, not the prettiest of routes up to and through Boots - but that's only a couple of miles. Only real hill is a gentle one through the university. To me, it is the quickest half course I've done.

Second half is again a new route, but Colwick and the race course should be pretty flat if they've been sensible with the route. The rest of it is pankcake, but can be very windy at the rowing lake (Holme Pierrepont) - looks like they've cut down a lot of how far you go round it now, so that should be a bonus.

Water was in a bag last year (yes I did type that right) and caused some people problems, but there's normally been Lucozade and gels available at a few points(gels second half only I think.) Expensive event, but it is well run and plenty going on.

Good luck on the day,
  • Found the course I plotted. 

Cant be sure it's 100%. Any sanity checks and comments welcomed. 

http://gb.mapometer.com/running/route_3496256.html

• Good work scopey. Looks like a nice flat course. Its a long time since I've been to Holme Pierrepont, but seem to remember it being quite windy at times like many rowing lakes.  I'm doing the half so will put that memory away for now.

I don't think the event is too badly priced. Seems very typical of city races

• Sarah at sweatshop kindly replied to my email on water etc -

Mile 3 - Tottle Road – Drinks station Mile 6 – University of Nottingham campus– Drinks station and Lucozade station Mile 9 - Castle Boulevard ??– Drinks station and Lucozade station Mile 11.5 (half Marathon only) - Victoria Embankment – Drinks station Mile 12 - Daleside Road – Drinks station Mile 15 - Colwick Country Park – Drinks station and Lucozade station Mile 18 - Adbolton Lane – Drinks station Mile 21 - Holme Pierrepont – Drinks station and Lucozade station Mile 24 – Riverbank under Nottingham Forest canopy – Drinks ststations   Have asked if 330ml or 500ml. Also what lucozade and any gels.  Will post when I get a reply.  No doubt this will all be in the race pack but good info to have early.    Cheers
  • Hey! I'm booked to do this event as my first ever marathon and wondering if anybody knew about cut off times? It says 3.5 hours on the website but i assume that's for the half and not the full. Slighly concerned if that applies to the full marathon as well. I'm just hoping to complete it in sub 5 hours.

• Christian, the web site is full of references to the half marathon, and lots of content hasn't been updated since the full marathon was confirmed. Don't worry - no mass participation marathon would have a 3.5hr cut off. Marathon packs will no doubt have all the info when they are posted, but in any case 5hrs should be no problem.

• i'm in this too. my first half marathon in about 20 years and training horribly disrupted by an injury but i'll be there. target time c. 2 hours and if i can get under that I'll be absolutely delighted. good luck to all image

• Hello all,

I'm in for the Marathon. 

I did Liverpool last Autumn and wasn't going to do another Marathon this year (hoping for a London place in 2014), but after gettign a good PB in the Reading Half in March and my target time in a 10k in May I decided I really quite fancies training for another Marathon after all.

Last long run this Sunday before the taper.

Hope everone's training is going well?

• in for the half. Recently broke 1.30 for first time at Malvern, which wasn't hilly but was undulating. If injury avoided, going to try and have another go at a time beginning in 1.2...

• Last LDR on Sunday. Just want to finish smiling. Ideally it`d be 3`45 or better.

• Having a self enforced rest day today.  Ideally wanted to run 6 miles, but both calves are sore so I'm sticking close to a foam roller, will squeeze in 2 hot baths and ready myself for tomorrow's 22miles instead.

• Hey, not long now to our visit with the lovely marathon. 20 miles done today, Grafham Water marathon next weekend then it's Nottingham..here I come! Number 17 in 2013-it could be messy!

Martin, currently sitting at laptop with my new travel size foam roller which is brilliant, hope it goes well tomorrowimage and to you Egyptian Toeimage

• Yeh, are you my rice pudding buddy from MK forum Also Ran?

• That's me! You must have got through some this yearimage

• Gallons of the stuffimage

• 22 miles done in 2:49. Hard going though  image

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/372370146

Not trying to make excuses, but I'm still a bit stuffy and sniffy with cold and just generally felt under the weather and 'temperatury'.  Calves still felt like they'd been shot before I started too! 

Needed to stop a couple of times to stretch, but came through it.  Not the confidence boosting run I'd have liked, but at least I did it.

Really need this taper now!  Will try to get a sports massage on the legs this week, then another before the big day.

Hope everyone's last long run has gone better than mine!!!

• Martin, I would take confidence from that run - you're at the height of training and under the weather. 3 weeks now to throw off any lurgy still in the system, plus taper, and a bit of carb loading  (any one mentioned rice pudding in this thread) and you will be in great shape.

I ran Maidenhead Half today hoping for a sub 1:20, but it wasn't to be. Marathon Training took its toll and I lost by 12 seconds. bugger.

My next race was supposed to be Nottingham half. Seems like a long way to go for a half, so I 'upgraded' last week. I will slip in one more long run later in the week