Farnham Pilgrim Marathon Sep 15th..anyone?

Hi, I am a Marathon newbie.. well not quite, it will be my second, and I did the very tough Sussex Marathon under 4 hours, but I have chosen this as my second one. I am looking forward to it, and am hitting the 20 mile runs with confidence, but any advice one could give me about this would be appreciated? Will I need my off-road shoes, how bad are the hills?

Comments

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Ghostrider - I am in for this one too. Sorry, can't give you any advice on the course but my knowledge of the NDW I think you would be fine in road shoes unless there is rain.

I am sure someone who has done it previously can be a little more helpful though.

• Well its a week away plus some hours before race day. It looks to be a good race, so cant wait to do it, but just doing a final long run tomorrow morning, but maybe only 13-14 mile. Its a medal I will be pleased to have on my shelf.

• It's a lovely race, really friendly and well marshalled, only downside is a field or two of cows. St Martha's in the middle is a big old climb but the views are worth it. If the weather stays as is then road shoes are fine. Still debating whether or not to run with the countdown to my first Ironman but I'd be gutted to miss it.

• KateF wrote (see)

It's a lovely race, really friendly and well marshalled, only downside is a field or two of cows. St Martha's in the middle is a big old climb but the views are worth it. If the weather stays as is then road shoes are fine. Still debating whether or not to run with the countdown to my first Ironman but I'd be gutted to miss it.

Is the hill in the middle the only big hill? What is the second half like?

• No, there are a lot of hills, that's just the biggest!

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭
    KateF wrote (see)

No, there are a lot of hills, that's just the biggest!

Lots of hills... I like the sound of that image

• Well having done the Sussex Marathon over Heathfield, I guess I know what I am in for. It can't be as hard as that one though..

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

I think this course will be a bit harder than Sussex marathon but probably not by much.

• Climbing over stiles in the last quarter of the race does make it a little tougher.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Yeah that will slow things down a little. Just found a profile of the course and it doesn't actually look too hilly.

• WiB wrote (see)

Yeah that will slow things down a little. Just found a profile of the course and it doesn't actually look too hilly.

You've made my day ha ha... Okay i admit i have done a few hilly races, but i am now in the mental mind game zone where i'm thinking, was all those runs enough, enough to get me through. Average 18-20 mile long runs, with some mild hills and 10 miles twice a week at race pace. But i guess i will see.

• Well I completed the Marathon yesterday. 4.05.55. I was looking for under 4 hours and was on course till about 21 when I had lower back pain which made running really uncomfortable. hey ho! I completed it, and in not too bad a time. It was a tough race. Uneven surface, narrow pathways, and some very hilly bits.

It was a very good race though, it deserves more credit. The marshals were amazing, and the medal etc at the end was spot on.

I felt the pain of a lot of people who crossed the line after me, but it was a great atmosphere, but my next marathon I am for it to be a bit flatter.